• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why wireless still behind wired connection?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m very fortunate to never get covid nor gotten any common cold or nor flu since the past decade. Then again, I do think I’m at least a decade younger on average than most folks registered in ASR.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m very fortunate to never get covid nor gotten any common cold or nor flu since the past decade. Then again, I do think I’m at least a decade younger on average than most folks registered in ASR.
Maybe you have a superior dietary intake, get enough sleep and share time with like people?

fatoldgit

Kinda related.. I had an issue with occasional dropouts with wifi but my signal was 100% at the end point PC

I used a WAP that the PC connected into and as a desperate attempt to fix the issue, I turned off channel auto ranging and set it to a fixed channel. The WAP was in the same room as my system hence the 100% signal strength.

Issue gone. I put the issue down to the PC not being able to react to a channel change fast enough.

See this re WAP/router channel settings.

Now if your WAP/router is aggressively changing channels in auto mode that MIGHT affect wifi transmissions that MIGHT affect your sound.

Below is the setting on my WAP.

1685226409337.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing sp
Maybe you have a superior dietary intake, get enough sleep and share time with like people?

Just good ol’ carnivore diet with less carbs and less sugar, 36 minute jogging Monday through Friday, 1 gallon of water a day and 6-8 hours of sleep and most importantly zero stress at work which to me is the most significant factor in keeping myself healthy.

I’m introverted myself so I don’t interact with a lot of people in real life for the most part

mSpot

So I have chromecast audio device connected via optical cable to Rme adi fs. This should be bit perfect wifi connection from ipad playing qobuz.
This isn't accurate. The iPad doesn't stream music over WiFi to Chromecast Audio. Instead, Chromecast Audio is pulling a stream directly from the Qobuz server. Proof: you can quit the Qobuz app (or even turn off the iPad) and the music continues playing.

So the question becomes whether Qobuz delivers the same quality stream to a Chromecast Audio as to the Qobuz app on an iPad. I don't know the answer, but there is a possibility they might be different. For example, Spotify normally streams OGG Vorbis 320 kbps, but to Chromecast it streams AAC 256 kbps (link),

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m introverted myself so I don’t interact with a lot of people in real life for the most part
That most likely helps with the COVID avoidance.
Just good ol’ carnivore diet with less carbs and less sugar, 36 minute jogging Monday through Friday, 1 gallon of water a day and 6-8 hours of sleep and most importantly zero stress at work which to me is the most significant factor in keeping myself healthy.
I am a carnivore, cheese addict and am now officially eating my veggies everyday for weight reasons. I drink wine w/water or gin'n tonics and I keep my stress levels as low as is possible. So we are similar. I'm not working anymore as I am retired and that slowed things down too. I enjoy my free time muchO!

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This isn't accurate. The iPad doesn't stream music over WiFi to Chromecast Audio. Instead, Chromecast Audio is pulling a stream directly from the Qobuz server. Proof: you can quit the Qobuz app (or even turn off the iPad) and the music continues playing.

So the question becomes whether Qobuz delivers the same quality stream to a Chromecast Audio as to the Qobuz app on an iPad. I don't know the answer, but there is a possibility they might be different. For example, Spotify normally streams OGG Vorbis 320 kbps, but to Chromecast it streams AAC 256 kbps (link),
Yes, this is how it works. I didn’t explain clearly. Last part of the post is intresting.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps some jazz fusion.

BILLY COBHAM STRATUS​

Trell

Major Contributor
You can hook up a digital recorder or ADC to the output of your DAC and record the playback from the two methods of playing, then subtract them in a DAW to see if there's any difference in the signals.
His ADI-2 DAC can record the TOSLINK SPDIF input, though, which I’ve used for ripping on occasion.

Top Bottom