• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why wireless still behind wired connection?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so consensus seems to be that it is most likely expectation bias. Weird. But I belive majority more than myself so be it.
Science is not a democracy ;)

Try this:

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just remember - if expectation bias is powerful (and it is), and you can’t turn it off just by will power when doing sighted comparisons, then that means it will also be hard for you to turn it off just because you now think it might all be in your head.

In other words, if it’s all in your head, that still means that it’s in your head, and it can be hard to get it out of your head. So if it’s not expensive or a big hassle to switch to a wired connection permanently, that could be the easiest path to fully enjoying your music. Just because the difference you’re hearing might not be real, doesn’t mean it’s worth trying to force yourself not to notice a difference if your mind has decided there is one.

This is not the approach I would take myself, but life is short and relaxed enjoyment is in the end more important than empirical validity when it comes to your own personal listening activity. (Of course empirical validity is what matters objectively and when we communicate with each other about the facts of what is and is not actually going on. And I would also argue that indulging your own cognitive biases makes sense only if doing so is inexpensive and convenient.)
Yeah, it is bit of hazzle with wires and would like to be without. But there is some extra with wires for me so I guess I keep using them.

radix

Major Contributor
Have you checked the quality of your wifi signal? Do you live in an apartment building? Chromecast is aware it is going over wifi and might be doing things to accomodate a poor wifi connection.

I know on Android there are some decent signal analyzers, but I'm not sure about ios. Also, what generation are your access points?

You can hook up a digital recorder or ADC to the output of your DAC and record the playback from the two methods of playing, then subtract them in a DAW to see if there's any difference in the signals.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it is bit of hazzle with wires and would like to be without. But there is some extra with wires for me so I guess I keep using them.
Okay, now you're being more reasonable. There is a difference between a purchase decision and proven concepts. If you can't convince yourself otherwise, meaning that you are still convinced there are audible differences between wired and wireless connections, or that you simply haven't discovered the underlying secondary causes for what could be actual audible differences (e.g. volume level differences, hidden software equalization you haven't discovered yet), sometimes it is just convenient to use the solution that your mind is convinced is superior. In this case wired networking. There is nothing invalid about making a purchase decision that just makes you happier, so long as you don't try to defend that decision by questioning well-understood science and technologies.

threni

Major Contributor
Science is not a democracy ;)
No, but he's right that he should accept the majority decision to ignore the majority decision as well as any person opinions and then do a test to discover the right answer!

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but he's right that he should accept the majority decision to ignore the majority decision as well as any person opinions and then do a test to discover the right answer!

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Richard Feynman.
Accepting is fine, trying to understand is better. Understanding gives knowledge, knowledge gives power.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Have you checked the quality of your wifi signal? Do you live in an apartment building? Chromecast is aware it is going over wifi and might be doing things to accomodate a poor wifi connection.

I know on Android there are some decent signal analyzers, but I'm not sure about ios. Also, what generation are your access points?

You can hook up a digital recorder or ADC to the output of your DAC and record the playback from the two methods of playing, then subtract them in a DAW to see if there's any difference in the signals.
I get 100mb/s with net speed meter to my devices. If that means wifi quality. I use phone hot spot for my net. Phone is oneplus 8. I guess it is access point. Yes , would be intresting to record dac output. Can’t do it now though cause I am severly disapled from long covid, no energy and have to be in bed.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get 100mb/s with net speed meter to my devices. If that means wifi quality. I use phone hot spot for my net. Phone is oneplus 8. I guess it is access point. Yes , would be intresting to record dac output. Can’t do it now though cause I am severly disapled from long covid, no energy and have to be in bed.

It's easy to have different listening perception in between listening sessions when your body is in the middle of detoxifying the long covid. Definitely get plenty of rest and hydration and get well soon!

threni

Major Contributor
Accepting is fine, trying to understand is better. Understanding gives knowledge, knowledge gives power.
"In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women." - Homer Simpson.

Zensō

Major Contributor
IMG_3622.jpeg

Zensō

Major Contributor
Bummer about covid. Get well soon…

JeremyFife

Ok, so consensus seems to be that it is most likely expectation bias. Weird. But I belive majority more than myself so be it.
What helped me was realising that what is being transferred (wired or WiFi) is just data - just the instructions needed to turn a digital signal into music. The transport (wired or WiFi) doesn't do that conversion, that happens in my DAC. My DAC doesn't care how the data arrived, and that cannot change the final analogue music signal.
If I accept that, then it's not possible for the transport method to affect the sound

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was extremely fortunate in having confirmed COVID twice and maybe a 3rd time but not confirmed in that it was like the flu or a common cold. Get rest and take care of yourself. Be well! :D

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

Thanks. Great that you survived. This is hell. Doctor diagnosed this me/ cfs from virus, some people never recover. I have been like this a year and it feels permanent. Several issues all over my body. I havent progress. Nobody knows the cure. But lets stay positive, I have thousands of hours time to listen qobuz with my wired connection :). Lets hope Russians dont come over the border. Even in this condition I need to go and lay on the trench to save my face. If I just lay down with weapon, maybe I can do it :) But lets hope it ends before.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Great that you survived. This is hell. Doctor diagnosed this me/ cfs from virus, some people never recover. I have been like this a year and it feels permanent. Several issues all over my body. I havent progress. Nobody knows the cure. But lets stay positive, I have thousands of hours time to listen qobuz with my wired connection :). Lets hope Russians dont come over the border. Even in this condition I need to go and lay on the trench to save my face. If I just lay down with weapon, maybe I can do it :) But lets hope it ends before.
You are in Ukraine?

OldenEars

Well, yes there is some buffering involved, even with loading the PDF. But so what…? this has been working fine for decades, and would not cause sound degradation, it would just stop. Again, this explains nothing.

It’s absolutely not, and the whole message this site tries to give is that you actually don’t know what sounds best. Your mind plays tricks on you all the time, and things that seem obvious as first, are in reality far from it.

This is exactly how people get home with a $ 1000 power cable :facepalm: Ignorance is bliss…
omg now i need a £1000 usb c cable for smoother more refined sound? ;) ;)

Top Bottom