• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 275 80.2%

• Total voters

Hagan66

Am definitely not expert, but IMHO, the Wiim Pro Plus is possibly one of the best value hi-fi products on the market today. The hardware for the $$$ is excellent and even more amazingly the Wiim app is very user friendly and rock solid stable. Had been going to purchase a Wiim amp instead, but eventually splashed the cash on the Pro Plus Streamer/DAC, and bought an Arcam Solo Mk 1 (full case width version) to use as an amp. Got a second hand one in mint condition for like £120 on eBay. In today's money the launch price of this amp/CD player would be just shy of £2k. Bought "open box" Dali Opticon 1 Mk 2 speakers (£499 - RRP of £699) and accompanying stands (£150 again for "open box" RRP £200). Absolutely loving this new set up in a small living room in a flat.......my neighbours not so much!

Adaboy4z

I just purchased the WiiM Pro version and I must say I'm pressed. It's my first streamer coming from a laptop. It's output is via optical to the SU-1 dac. Has anyone upgraded the power supply for any version of the streamer? Something like the iFi power 2, $70. I'm seeing videos and talk of it improving the performance of the streamer.

kkeretic

I just purchased the WiiM Pro version and I must say I'm pressed. It's my first streamer coming from a laptop. It's output is via optical to the SU-1 dac. Has anyone upgraded the power supply for any version of the streamer? Something like the iFi power 2, $70. I'm seeing videos and talk of it improving the performance of the streamer.
As long as the original power supply technically works properly and is not damaged, I see no reason to replace it. In the vast majority of these videos around, without any measurements or any scientific approach to testing, people talk audiophile nonsense.

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?
Lineair power supply

Brantome

Major Contributor
Agreed, especially when using the Pro’s digital outputs. I don’t see how there can be an audible improvement if you’re feeding a competent DAC

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
At this stage it’s anyone’s guess. I’d expect it to at least match the Pro Plus though
Yeah it's just as someone mentioned here, because it measures perfectly it cannot be bettered even with an improved DAC chip , so it's practically impossible for it to sound better if I understand correctly , so what's the point of another device ?

Petevid

Yeah it's just as someone mentioned here, because it measures perfectly it cannot be bettered even with an improved DAC chip , so it's practically impossible for it to sound better if I understand correctly , so what's the point of another device ?
I can't hear any difference between the analogue outputs of my Pro and Pro Plus

morillon

Major Contributor
I can't hear any difference between the analogue outputs of my Pro and Pro Plus
Thank you for letting us know... ;-)
(basically what types of music do you listen to (and with what?))

Petevid

Thank you for letting us know... ;-)
(basically what types of music do you listen to (and with what?))
Admittedly in this system nothing special. Using Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers and Fosi V3 amp. I 'upgraded' from the Pro to the Pro Plus. I listen to 70s/80s rock, soul and pop, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder are faves plus well recorded and mastered music when I'm listening to the system rather than the music (awful habit).

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

The Mini, Pro and Pro Plus don’t have a subwoofer out with bass management. That’s a biggie for many right there, and one of the reasons, in conjunction with PEQ, that the WiiM Amp is reviewing so well.

I have a Mini, and it feeds my EX5, which has a transparent DAC. But that DAC then feeds an old Denon CD player-receiver with a sub out, though there’s no crossover. I’ll be buying the Ultra for the added functionality of setting that crossover.

If the Pro Plus had been released with a sub out, that would have been different.

morillon

Major Contributor
in certain configurations the use of the analog outputs of the mini pro plus could be dedicated thanks to the wiim app just for use for sub (and in L and R)..a simple mini could be dedicated to this use for example...
an enrichment of wiim home and its peq could allow many things of this type

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
in certain configurations the use of the analog outputs of the mini pro plus could be dedicated thanks to the wiim app just for use for sub (and in L and R)..a simple mini could be dedicated to this use for example...
an enrichment of wiim home and its peq could allow many things of this type

If WiiM wanted to, it should be possible to convert the analogue out into a sub out - I mean it is already, in a way. It’ll output down to 20Hz, just add high and low pass filters, as with the Amp. Higher frequencies redirected to the digital out, lower to the analogue out.

It may not be possible due to limitations of the Mini’s processing power, but the Pro and Pro Plus should be up to it.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
If WiiM wanted to, it should be possible to convert the analogue out into a sub out - I mean it is already, in a way. It’ll output down to 20Hz, just add high and low pass filters, as with the Amp. Higher frequencies redirected to the digital out, lower analogue out.

It may not be possible due to limitations of the Mini’s processing power, but the Pro and Pro Plus should be up to it.
This was mooted a while back but for whatever reason it hasn’t materialised, so may have been down to technical or even marketing reasons e.g. why do that for existing models when they’re about to release the Ultra?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
This was mooted a while back but for whatever reason it hasn’t materialised, so may have been down to technical or even marketing reasons e.g. why do that for existing models when they’re about to release the Ultra?

Aye, it’s a shame. Maybe they’ll wait until the Ultra has arrived and sales have settled, and apply it later.

I’m not holding my breath, though.

Top Bottom