• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Wild 7

If the Theta suits him well, so be it.

At the end of the day, it is for his own music enjoyment, not ours, not anyone.

Just my two cents.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought the Pro Plus but was underwhelmed with its sonic qualities.
Things improved drastically when I hooked up my old Theta DAC.
I would agree it's a very good digital transport, but the onboard DAC is a bit of a disappointment.
@stadsbeplanner Are you trolling us?
1711823034160546.gif

Be honest.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@stadsbeplanner told me me via PN that he wasn't trolling. So i have to assume he is the same idiot i was 20 years ago. It's kind of off topic and old news for most of us, but i wrote it and might as well leave it here for anyone else who thinks these sound not as good because they are cheap and made from plastik:

why would you accuse me of trolling?
Fair enough, i apologize. Maybe you are just new here and still stuck in the 90ies Hifi magazine mindset, just like me until maybe 2015 or so.

The fact of the matter is, your hearing is incredibly good at detecting a panther rustling a few dry leaves in a jungle while stalking you, all the processing inside your brain is optimized for that.
But your, or anyone's hearing for that matter, is not an instrument. It's hardly repeatable or precise. Indeed, you are not only stricken with the problem of detection, but also memory, we are exceptionally bad at remembering a speakers volume just for 5 minutes and compare it to another volume, once the differences go below 3dB or so.

On top of that, we have all kinds of biases that bend and sometimes plainly overwrite what we hear. One of the strongest biases is sighted bias. If you see an amp that looks like a moldy potato but sounds really good and one that is diamond encrusted, but sounds just mediocre, you will almost always prefer the diamond one. I know you don't believe that, you think what you think you hear must be real, because it would mean you can't trust your hearing, so here is proof for sighted bias, the McGurk effect:

Getting aware of those limitations is a painful process all of us had to go through (not the young folk that started with the right data i guess). I bought the pricey cables in the 90ies and thought i could hear a difference. I bought the strange valve amps. I bought the hifi magazines and believed their crap. I painted the edges of my CDs with a sharpie.
What was i thinking? Not much apparently ;-)

Fact is, i was a fool back then, just like you are a fool today for believing you can hear differences in competently made DACs.
The pain you feel, going from one side of the argument to the other, is called cognitive dissonance.
Embrace it and come out on the other side with a larger understanding of your biological limitations.

It's not a valid opinion to be wrong. It's just wrong.

I bought a second Wiim Pro Plus today to feed my headphone amp.
I would like to have another one just to send my phono preamp output into another room.
The value on these things is off the chart.

Cecill

I purchased the Wiim Pro Plus about two weeks ago and have primarily been using Tidal Connect and Audirvana (streaming my own library) via UPnP, along with some radio streaming. While using these services, I realized that I could eliminate the need for a separate video streamer (Apple TV) and the Wiim by relocating my MacMini closer to my TV. By connecting the Mac directly to DAC and TV, I can access all the functionalities previously provided by the three devices. Consequently, I have now assigned audio and video streaming duties to the MacMini, and I have boxed up Apple TV and Wiim. That said, the Wiim Pro Plus is a flawless device. However, it's probably not the right fit for my needs.

Doublej

I purchased the Wiim Pro Plus about two weeks ago and have primarily been using Tidal Connect and Audirvana (streaming my own library) via UPnP, along with some radio streaming. While using these services, I realized that I could eliminate the need for a separate video streamer (Apple TV) and the Wiim by relocating my MacMini closer to my TV. By connecting the Mac directly to DAC and TV, I can access all the functionalities previously provided by the three devices. Consequently, I have now assigned audio and video streaming duties to the MacMini, and I have boxed up Apple TV and Wiim. That said, the Wiim Pro Plus is a flawless device. However, it's probably not the right fit for my needs.
How are you interacting with your MacMini?

Cecill

How are you interacting with your MacMini?
I am subscribed to Audirvana Studio, which includes an app called Audirvana Remote. This setup allows me to access my personal library, stream from Tidal and Qobuz, and listen to radio stations. Although it supports podcasts, Chromecast, and UPnP, I am not using these at the moment. For video, I use my Mac, which is connected to a TV, and I control it with a compact wireless keyboard and trackpad.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm kind of baffled by the RCA input on this...what is that for, how would one use it?

RCA input enables Legacy analog components: Turntable, Cassette Deck, Reel-to-reel, etc.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems the Ultra will be out this summer, any expectation ?
The price will be lower than the Pro Plus. Right?

Me when the price gets announced:
RiNC.gif

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How on earth would think the price would be less than the Pro Plus, when it does everything the Plus does and more.
I discovered a rich deposit of hopium and started to mine it.;)

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Finally bit the bullet and invested. Outstanding. Love the EQ. Really simplified that system setup.

One nit: I tried my TT / phono pre on the analog input and it immediately began a consistent light distortion. I'll check the output gain on the phono pre.

Otherwise stellar user experience.

7jm

Finally bit the bullet and invested. Outstanding. Love the EQ. Really simplified that system setup.

One nit: I tried my TT / phono pre on the analog input and it immediately began a consistent light distortion. I'll check the output gain on the phono pre.

Otherwise stellar user experience.
Yes. I enjoy my pro plus, however I have my cd player, nad 538 going to analogue input (already using Digi in) and this too occasionally clips in loud passages.

Top Bottom