• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WXC-50 - how to bypass DAC??

Kevinmac

Old thread, but the answer is put the WXC50 into player mode, and go into MusicCast app settings, select direct, bypass any processing.
Player mode just makes it look like an input source to external preamp.

phasor

Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies here already. I'm thinking if there's any idea in pairing WXC-50 with high performance DAC like Topping E50? I would like to use WXC-50 volume control, because I think the Yamaha mobile app and browser UI has kinda good usability. Is there any gain in performance if doing so, and using WXC-50 in player mode? I think @SimpleTheater maybe have some experience on this?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies here already. I'm thinking if there's any idea in pairing WXC-50 with high performance DAC like Topping E50? I would like to use WXC-50 volume control, because I think the Yamaha mobile app and browser UI has kinda good usability. Is there any gain in performance if doing so, and using WXC-50 in player mode? I think @SimpleTheater maybe have some experience on this?
You're not going to hear a difference between the WXC-50 and the Topping E50. But as Kevenmac said, you can put it into player mode and bypass processing.

phasor

You're not going to hear a difference between the WXC-50 and the Topping E50. But as Kevenmac said, you can put it into player mode and bypass processing.

Thanks! How about then, is there any hearable difference with external DAC, when used in preamp mode?

E: typo

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks! How about then, is there any hearable difference with external DAC, when used in preamp mode?

E: typo
If you're going for "pure" mode, you won't hear a difference with any DAC because the WXC-50 is transparent (as far as human ears go). But if you want some EQ, like RME provides with the ADI-2, then yes (bad example because the ADI-2 is a preamp as well).

phasor

If you're going for "pure" mode, you won't hear a difference with any DAC because the WXC-50 is transparent (as far as human ears go). But if you want some EQ, like RME provides with the ADI-2, then yes (bad example because the ADI-2 is a preamp as well).
Thank you for your answers!! I were interested in external DAC only because of the sound quality. I think this conversation will help also other people thinking the same thing. :D

Valentino

Here's how I use my WXC-50 as a control center:

Drodledipolene 10 Eng.jpg

Valentino

I guess nobody understood that!

WXC-50 in preamp mode (switch on back), and Direct mode (internal DSP deactivated, except resampler of course).

If Yamaha ever does a WXC-50 Mk. II I’d like one more digital input, LMS player capability, and the same looks as their hifi separates. :)

Top Bottom