• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gene's results are so so with a Sinad of 70dB for the amplifier section.
Bad result for Yamaha.

3dbinCanada

Gene's results are so so with a Sinad of 70dB for the amplifier section.
Bad result for Yamaha.
Using HDMI in. With analog inputs, the SINAD jumps into the 90s. Not that 70 is audible under most real life conditions.

valerianf

Only the ESS DAC seems to be an argument for this unit (A4A or A6A).
But the hdmi 70dB Sinaid is cutting short my envy, even after owning 3 Yamaha amps.
A digital input is supposed to increase the performance, not the other way round.
Is there a noise issue with the hdmi 2.1 implémentation ?

Technomania

Forum Donor
Is there a noise issue with the hdmi 2.1 implémentation ?
Not to my knowledge from measurements of other gear by Amir, but it is not clear whether he tested the single HDMI 2.1 input on Denon or Marantz.

clone1008

Not to my knowledge from measurements of other gear by Amir, but it is not clear whether he tested the single HDMI 2.1 input on Denon or Marantz.
How would we know? 2.1 has not been implemented on these units yet.

xcomp666

Summarizing... It's a good product, not great but it has some room for improvements ( more power when running in 7ch). Maybe Yamaha will be able to find a way to fix/ mitigate the center + surround issues by a firmware update. This is the first release of this new AVR platform. Basically, we are beta testers! :facepalm:

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Technomania

Forum Donor
How would we know? 2.1 has not been implemented on these units yet.
He managed to test all HDMI inputs in TMDS signal mode, so the results refer to it. The introduction of FRL signalling in Q1 2022 should not bring any additional issues, but it would be good to repeat one of two sweeps once firmware is enabled.

xcomp666

After almost 12 years with D&M products and now with this A6A( for almost 2 months).Basically, Gene’s review complemented my thoughts about this receiver.

For stereo mode/2ch-music: Yamaha. Runs pretty cooler, great punch and sounds great.

For Movies/Games/multichannel music: D&M , great dynamics, better channels distribution/definition.

valerianf

”Center channel of the A6A”
At this price point it is a shame that the center channel has soo bad measurements.
It is the most important channel with FL and FR.
Even my WXA-50 has a better Sinad!
After owning 3 Yamaha amps the next one may be a Onkyo.

clone1008

Center channel of the A6A is at 66dB of SINAD in pure direct mode! and Gene still arguing that it's a great and well designed receiver...
I am still arguing that you have an agenda.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Center channel of the A6A is at 66dB of SINAD in pure direct mode! and Gene still arguing that it's a great and well designed receiver...
I am still arguing that you have an agenda.
I have explained this before, on previous pages, when there was a debate about power solutions. Let's keep it simple.
In practice and in mainstream market, barely anyone will ever notice detrimental effects of this particular measurement to their home theatre experience. Seriously. From purist and audio science point of view, Yamaha needs to address this in next production cicle. There is no question about it. HDMI signal needs to be consistently high dB across all channels, not just analog.

Mind you, another two channels were not tested due to limitations of testing machine X585. It's an 8 channel analyzer after all. Amir could start testing all channels on AVRs too.

valerianf

From Yamaha I owned a RX-V1200, a RX-A700 and a WXA-50.
To my knowledge all of them have a better measurement than the one Gene got for the A6A center channel.
To me it is a real problem.
Yamaha needs to correct that on the next generation (2022).

3dbinCanada

Arent most folks going to use the HDMI input though?
My point is if one only reports one side of the story, then the story quickly escalates to a biased outlook. All of my AVRs double duty as 2 channel listening as well using analog inputs and it measures quite respectably there. Would I notice the results of the poorer measurejents when watching a movie using HDMI inputs? Not likely.

valerianf

" Not likely"
But you may notice the low Sinaid if you listen to high quality music streaming services (i.e. 24/192) and that you use the center channel.
Same remark for a concert video played from a DTS HD Master audio track (24/96).
We are going backward to an age where it is the electronics that is limiting the audio quality.
It was inevitable in the 70'S but nowadays a proper engineering should avoid that.

3dbinCanada

" Not likely"
But you may notice the low Sinaid if you listen to high quality music streaming services (i.e. 24/192) and that you use the center channel.
Same remark for a concert video played from a DTS HD Master audio track (24/96).
We are going backward to an age where it is the electronics that is limiting the audio quality.
It was inevitable in the 70'S but nowadays a proper engineering should avoid that.
I agree in principle that Yamaha needs to improve on their SINAD. And they will. But even with music streaming services and high rez audio tracks, one will not hear the noise affects of the AVR as it will be masked by the distortion of any loudspeaker being driven by the AVR.

Top Bottom