• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arrival

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Went to see Arrival tonight and just came home from the cinema.
Well I don't get it cause the movie got good reviews but I don't think I've
ever been more bored at the movies in my life. It dragged on so slowly I almost
walked out a number of times but stuck it out thinking sooner or later some
thing would happen to make it worth my time. NOT.
At the end I still had no real idea what it was trying to say or what happened really.
Plot is vaguer than a $6k's power cords value. LOL
Maybe it's a steath undercover Chic Flix and the girls will get it?
A total POS IMHO and I wish I could sue to get back the $10 and two hours of
my life that was stolen tonight.
Make up your own mind but whatever you do don't pay any $ to see this crap. :mad:
I'm sure hope upcoming Rogue One and Passengers will satisfy later this month.
The next year looks to bring some good SciFi to the silver screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The last time I was in a real movie theater was to see the Batman vs the Penguin or Tom Hanks and Private Ryan at the dollar theater near my apartment in Irving Tx in 1999 or so.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh, it did get really good reviews. So much so that I was considering going to the movie theater to see it -- something I try not to do more than once a year!

Thanks for the heads up. I will wait for the disc at this rate.

fas42

Major Contributor
Looked it up ... it's an ideas movie, like all the sci fi books I used to read a lot way back when - not a space cowboys junket.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The last time I was in a real movie theater was to see the Batman vs the Penguin or Tom Hanks and Private Ryan at the dollar theater near my apartment in Irving Tx in 1999 or so.
Ray, you really do have to start getting out before your ass turns to dust. ;)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw the whole movie a few weeks back on YouTube [3 minutes] & read spoiler alerts [3minutes].
That was even a waste of time.

iridium.

Went to see Arrival tonight and just came home from the cinema.
Well I don't get it cause the movie got good reviews but I don't think I've
ever been more bored at the movies in my life. It dragged on so slowly I almost
walked out a number of times but stuck it out thinking sooner or later some
thing would happen to make it worth my time. NOT.
At the end I still had no real idea what it was trying to say or what happened really.
Plot is vaguer than a $6k's power cords value. LOL
Maybe it's a steath undercover Chic Flix and the girls will get it?
A total POS IMHO and I wish I could sue to get back the $10 and two hours of
my life that was stolen tonight.
Make up your own mind but whatever you do don't pay any $ to see this crap. :mad:
I'm sure hope upcoming Rogue One and Passengers will satisfy later this month.
The next year looks to bring some good SciFi to the silver screen.
http://www.nerdmuch.com/movies/3578/upcoming-new-sci-fi-movies-2016-2017-to-watch-release-calendar/

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I remembered earlier, the last time I got suckered into a garbage SciFi movie almost this bad was LUCY.
Not quite as boring as Arrival but the storyline and tag was so stupid as to be beyond belief.
What happens to a woman who gets infected with a drug that makes her smarter and smarter?
She turns into a (drum roll please) A COMPUTER :eek:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I remembered earlier, the last time I got suckered into a garbage SciFi movie almost this bad was LUCY.
Me too. What horrible movie that turned out. The ending was the worst part. They seriously need better writers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ray, you really do have to start getting out before your ass turns to dust.

"There's no place like home." - Dorothy Gale

Note: ranked #23 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.

tomelex

Forum Donor
Yep. When I was in England, and we would be starting out on another trip into continental Europe, Diana was always excited and saying as we were departing how much fun the trip was going to be and all, and I always said yes it was going to be great, but the best part of the trip would be coming back home....she got used to that by the last time we went abroad, I think she finally got it on our very last trip, no "there you go with your crazy ideas" look as I said it.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Arrival" is IMHO a Masterpiece. Slow, well-paced,well-acted, well told story.The ending leaves you thinking and if you do take the time you would find many answers none all too clear, wich in my opinion makes the movie even more beautiful. Please watch it again very calmly and realize the message:" Talking to each other is not understanding" it requires more thought to communicate. It requires a willingness to accept the different. And the message goes further. it is hubris to think that our current mental picture of the World is universal. There is a lot more in this movie than the usual Hollywood fare...IMHO.
I would suggest to watch it again and think a lot about the vast differences between those concepts.

P.S. saw the "Rogue" and this one is a bad movie with a robot actually steering a spacecraft ... Turning the wheel, people, steering a spacecraft, when not even top of the line cars TODAY routinely steer themselves to park, to drive and break themselves to avoid a pedestrian ... a robot would mechanically put its hands on a steering wheel in a spacecraft???!!!??? WTF! And the Imperial walkers that can so easily be toppled and .... guns and .... fistfights... and the stormtroopers wearing an armor for absolutely no reason since they fall at the first laser shot... Really ????? WTF!!??

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would suggest to watch it again and think a lot about the vast differences between those concepts.
I'd rather drink a cup of bleach. :eek:

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Try drinking the bleach then rewatching the movie! :D
Anyone else watch 'rogue one' yet
I'll see it at the IMAX 3D mid week, waiting for the crowds to thin a bit.
Let you know then.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

iridium

"Arrival" is IMHO a Masterpiece. Slow, well-paced,well-acted, well told story.The ending leaves you thinking and if you do take the time you would find many answers none all too clear, wich in my opinion makes the movie even more beautiful. Please watch it again very calmly and realize the message:" Talking to each other is not understanding" it requires more thought to communicate. It requires a willingness to accept the different. And the message goes further. it is hubris to think that our current mental picture of the World is universal. There is a lot more in this movie than the usual Hollywood fare...IMHO.

P.S. saw the "Rogue" and this one is a bad movie with a robot actually steering a spacecraft ... Turning the wheel, people, steering a spacecraft, when not even top of the line cars TODAY routinely steer themselves to park, to drive and break themselves to avoid a pedestrian ... a robot would mechanically put its hands on a steering wheel in a spacecraft???!!!??? WTF! And the Imperial walkers that can so easily be toppled and .... guns and .... fistfights... and the stormtroopers wearing an armor for absolutely no reason since they fall at the first laser shot... Really ????? WTF!!??

Curious - did the spacecraft have a "four on the floor" or was it a newfangled paddle shifter on the wheel?

iridium.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious - did the spacecraft have a "four on the floor" or was it a newfangled paddle shifter on the wheel?

iridium.

You mean like the space ship from the Life of Brian. Four in the floor sounds though not sure how it was shifted as the pilots needed a hand to hold their eye.

Top Bottom