• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arrival

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing to 'arrive' is boredom..

I think I will like Arrival though I haven't seen it yet.

Your description of boredom however reminds me of my reaction to 2001 a Space Odyssey. On so many best of or best ever lists. I love much of Kubrick's art, and Arthur C. Clarke is beyond compare. Somehow this movie however is one of the most boring, most meaningless movies I have ever seen. Watching it was torture. I was compelled by somone to try it again some 20 years later, and couldn't make it thru more than half. Yeah, drinking bleach instead would be preferable.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
2001 sure was boring. I think they were so proud of special effects they had created that they kept those sections going and going...

Yes, and they weren't that special. Combined with the mind numbing droning 'music' I hated it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Did you see it in 1968?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you see it in 1968?

I was in a small town. If you remember, even popular movies sometimes took awhile to reach outlying areas. So I saw it mid 1969 at the theater for I think $1.50 at the time.

Everyone had praised it, I liked Kubrick films usually, and Arthur C Clarke even more. So I was primed to like it. Was very disappointed.

Now I was reasonably entertained by the Andromeda Strain that came out some two or three years later. I also read much scifi back in the days before they made serious movies of scifi.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Andromeda Strain is not bad, I haven't seen it in a long time.

---

I liked 2001, being a space nut, except the psychedelic colors part. Seemed interminable on the first viewing. That section just doesn't fit in for me, whereas the rest is still mostly believable.

The Space Hotel/Station is a little overdone on the exterior, particularly considering we barely have one, and the Underground Landing Area on the Moon is too much, but all three ships are pretty good.

I watched it again recently, it held up well for me. Too bad about PanAm and Howard Johnson's. The video call is a bit dated now.

No personal computers, but HAL is there to cater to every need.

I think I went to see it with my Dad, at a nice theater at the edge of the only Mall in town, next to the big Bowling Alley with the Neon lit RotoSphere to attract clientele.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, sorry... The topic is Arrival...

I'll watch it when it comes on TV, and let you know if it kept me awake.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Movies deserved to be seen on a large screen. So far I seem to be the only person on this forum to have seen it... GO see for yourself, it is a worth it.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My God, It's full of stars! LOL
Actually I found 2001 to be "thrill a minute" compared to Arrival. LOL

I'm excited now, going to see Rogue One at the IMAX 3D tonight at 8:00.
Love the new tech that I can buy my ticket online, reserving my special sweet spot seat.
With my pockets loaded with snuck-in drinks and goodies hidden by my sweater, I
whisk past the ticket taker with just a flash of my pre-printed ticket.

Will probably go see Passengers next week.
Reviews complain about the story-line but with great effects and some sex thrown in,
sounds like fun to me.

Reviews to come. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I saw Arrival on my own big screen finally. It was far, far better than 2001 a space nodyssey.

It was different than I expected, and I see why some might think it too slow though I didn't think that. I was a little let down that it didn't seem to get anywhere in the end than a little deux a machina without the machinery. Time being not what we think it is.

Still I would give it a good not great recommendation. I think the story let everything else down a little actually. Or more specifically the screenwriting.

Top Bottom