• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 178 39.6%

• Total voters

Falco

Forum Donor
Just got one of these(w/orange knob & 48v natch).
My goodness, the output posts are small - what are you cats using to connect it to your/my 12 gauge wires ?

I do not have mine in yet (still in transport) but I was indeed planning to use banana plugs as mentioned by @Toku

I already prepared the speaker cables and used 2,5mm2 cable (which should be 14 AWG), I used speaker snaps to terminate them. Curious how they will works once the Fosi Audio V3 is in, but I think they look nice...

20240428_203110.jpg

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not have mine in yet (still in transport) but I was indeed planning to use banana plugs as mentioned by @Toku

I already prepared the speaker cables and used 2,5mm2 cable (which should be 14 AWG), I used speaker snaps to terminate them. Curious how they will works once the Fosi Audio V3 is in, but I think they look nice...

View attachment 367053
4 mm banana plugs are best safest option, as you already prepared your cables with.

Eric Natural

I was sceptical but yup, bananas fit - yay
Second question - if I run it powered on 24/7, does it get warm with zero audio input ? Thinking I'll power-on the miniDSP Flex used as my pre & control volume from that . . .

bboris77

Has anyone been able to purchase the 2024 version with volume adjustable preamp outputs from Amazon? I’m just wondering if it is only available from their own website.

jimilion1

Hi. I have fosi v3 with 48v power supply. My system is :dac smsl d300 , streamer wii mini and dali Oberon 1 speakers. I wonder if I can connect with my buffer b1 preamp to fosi v3.

ups767300

I was sceptical but yup, bananas fit - yay
Second question - if I run it powered on 24/7, does it get warm with zero audio input ? Thinking I'll power-on the miniDSP Flex used as my pre & control volume from that . . .

I leave mine on 24/7 and it runs lukewarm with zero input for me. It is in a cabinet with network equipment that also runs warm.

I did run it out in the open air for a few days, and at idle when left "on" it was cool to the touch.

Falco

Forum Donor
I received my V3 today, and hooked up to a RPi steamer (moOde OS) with a smsl su-1 dac.
Need to check still at what volume/% i should set the output of the source. Should that be 100%/0db, or is it better to set it somewhat lower?

Herewith a picture of the temporary setup...
1000023752.jpg

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received my V3 today, and hooked up to a RPi steamer (moOde OS) with a smsl su-1 dac.
Need to check still at what volume/% i should set the output of the source. Should that be 100%/0db, or is it better to set it somewhat lower?

Herewith a picture of the temporary setup...View attachment 367249

I think the best is to bypass any "volume" until the V3 potentiometer.
Maybe the DAC have a setting to power off the volume management.

Falco

Forum Donor
I think the best is to bypass any "volume" until the V3 potentiometer.
Maybe the DAC have a setting to power off the volume management.
Yes, I've set them all to bypass or fixed. The V3 is now the main volume regulator.

Great sound so far from the connected Q Acoustics 2020 speakers, I'll try my Revel M105s as well tomorrow....

Count Dacula

I just got one, $71 Fire Sale Amazon

I don't even know which PS it comes with, if any. I've hoarded enough to find an old one and adapt it...

Last edited:

G-Can

does anyone with confidence know, if new ZA3 has higher gain then V3?

lucyb3268

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me please. I just purchased this amp to power two bass shaker transducers. They are rated at 50w RMS / 100w Max at 4ohms.

I'm using the included 32v 5a power supply on the amp and am wondering how far I can go with the volume control as I don't want to damage anything.

Amp specs at 32v are 2x125w max (unsure about RMS, can't find anything online) and have read the volume dial is logarithmic rather than linear, as I was limiting myself to 40% 10 o'clock position which isn't very loud haha

My source is a PC (Realtek ALC1200 onboard soundcard) - which I believe is 1.1vrms output, so I'm thinking I can really drive that volume dial round as much as I want?

1.1 x 20v gain = 22v
22v = 50w approx?????

Can someone help me please. I really want to crank the volume up!

so....how far can that dial go? :)

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me please. I just purchased this amp to power two bass shaker transducers. They are rated at 50w RMS / 100w Max at 4ohms.

I'm using the included 32v 5a power supply on the amp and am wondering how far I can go with the volume control as I don't want to damage anything.

Amp specs at 32v are 2x125w max (unsure about RMS, can't find anything online) and have read the volume dial is logarithmic rather than linear, as I was limiting myself to 40% 10 o'clock position which isn't very loud haha

My source is a PC (Realtek ALC1200 onboard soundcard) - which I believe is 1.1vrms output, so I'm thinking I can really drive that volume dial round as much as I want?

1.1 x 20v gain = 22v
22v = 50w approx?????

Can someone help me please. I really want to crank the volume up!

so....how far can that dial go? :)

Thanks!!!!!
It is measured here at 85W with the 32V PSU (1% THD), not 125W.

The gain is also measured at 26dB = 20x, so as you say 22V output from 1.1V input.

P = VxV/R = 121W into 4ohm - so more than the amp can deliver. For a max of 85W (to avoid the amp clipping) you want to output no more than about 18V,

We can't say how far you can turn the dial, since we don't know how the volume varies with dial position.

Normally (with speakers) we'd just say if you can hear distortion - turn it down. No idea if this approach works with a shaker.

So I think your best bet is to measure the level out of the PC with a full scale test tone, and turn that down until it is 0.9V or lower.

lucyb3268

It is measured here at 85W with the 32V PSU (1% THD), not 125W.

The gain is also measured at 26dB = 20x, so as you say 22V output from 1.1V input.

P = VxV/R = 121W into 4ohm - so more than the amp can deliver. For a max of 85W (to avoid the amp clipping) you want to output no more than about 18V,

We can't say how far you can turn the dial, since we don't know how the volume varies with dial position.

Normally (with speakers) we'd just say if you can hear distortion - turn it down. No idea if this approach works with a shaker.

So I think your best bet is to measure the level out of the PC with a full scale test tone, and turn that down until it is 0.9V or lower.

Thanks very much

Last edited:
Top Bottom