• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It would be helpful if some one copied amirs tests to see if amirs results are repeated.

Then coordinate some common practice between a few testers for more comprehensive data.

No one here is preventing that, on the contrary we would all love to see that!

All free publicity for microrendu either way... Can't see the issue personally!

Just small minded tribalism, Silo mentality and such

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Good God Thomas, you are advocating the scientific method, how does that sit alongside your cable lifters!
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Good God Thomas, you are advocating the scientific method, how does that sit alongside your cable lifters!
Keith
Hey the blu tac under my cable lifters was a wonderful scientific discovery :D

They remind me of how fallible I am... Now what's wrong with that?!

oh, nothing.. A few in this thread could do with being regularly reminded in the same vein.

If you carry on with this cheek I am going to publish our holiday pictures!!:eek:

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
It would be helpful if some one copied amirs tests to see if amirs results are repeated.

Then coordinate some common practice between a few testers for more comprehensive data.

No one here is preventing that, on the contrary we would all love to see that!

All free publicity for microrendu either way... Can't see the issue personally!

Just small minded tribalism, Silo mentality and such

I have an idea. Since Amir is a busy guy, maybe instead of me sending the Superstream to him to test, he can send his server to me to test and compare to the Superstream with the aPX-555. @ $750 more expensive than the Superstream, I expect it to put it to shame on the bench.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have an idea. Since Amir is a busy guy, maybe instead of me sending the Superstream to him to test, he can send his server to me to test and compare to the Superstream with the aPX-555. @ $750 more expensive than the Superstream, I expect it to put it to shame on the bench.

You need to design/ define a set of test with amir for your supestreamer and test it, post results and then amir can test it...

Two sets of results. Hopefully we can get a few other guys in on it so we can conduct real meaningful tests.

One off samples have to be considered in perspective.

There will be challenges to overcome in order to achieve this but it's a worthy ambition.

Mivera

Major Contributor
You need to design/ define a set of test with amir for your supestreamer and test it, post results and then amir can test it...

Two sets of results. Hopefully we can get a few other guys in on it so we can conduct real meaningful tests.

One off samples have to be considered in perspective.

There will be challenges to overcome in order to achieve this but it's a worthy ambition.

It will take me playing with the machine for a bit to learn which tests give the most meaningful results. After I obtain a battery of test results, I can see if Amir can duplicate. However his older machine doesn't have the ability to do some of the critical, meaningful tests that the aPX-555 can do with the new DSIO module.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir has a super stream too!
It is just so difficult to know who to brown nose first.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It will take me playing with the machine for a bit to learn which tests give the most meaningful results. After I obtain a battery of test results, I can see if Amir can duplicate. However his older machine doesn't have the ability to do some of the critical, meaningful tests that the aPX-555 can do with the new DSIO module.
Yea like I said there will be challenges! What you have to weigh up is the added significance to having multiple sources of data verifying each other ( of not lol) VS special tests only you can do while you have your AS on loan/rent but can't be repeated and verified independently.

Totally up to you but for the success of the forum the first option is a more worth while pursuit. Least we forget we want to promote good practice and the forum not just help guys shift boxes.

Building credibility of our test results is paramount and takes priority over anything or anyone else.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Amir has a super stream too!
It is just so difficult to know who to brown nose first.
Keith.

Amir has the old NUC based Superstream from my WBF thread. But that isn't near on the level as the commercial version. His lab supply likely doesn't produce power as clean as the built in supply either. It also has no fiber optic isolation, although I did send him a pair of FMC's.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Yea like I said there will be challenges! What you have to weigh up is the added significance to having multiple sources of data verifying each other ( of not lol) VS special tests only you can do while you have your AS on loan/rent but can't be repeated and verified independently.

Totally up to you but for the success of the forum the first option is a more worth while pursuit. Least we forget we want to promote good practice and the forum not just help guys shift boxes.

Building credibility of our test results is paramount and takes priority over anything or anyone else.

The best tests are jitter right off the clocks on the USB interface. I have 5 different USB interfaces here I can run that test on.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Oh yeah and I'll post video's of the testing as well. This way people can be confident that the setup isn't rigged. Essential IMO as how else can anyone be sure.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Weiss make some optical to electrical cables, they use that orange glass , very cool!
@Thomas 'not just to shift boxes'
now you tell me!
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh yeah and I'll post video's of the testing as well. This way people can be confident that the setup isn't rigged. Essential IMO as how else can anyone be sure.
Yes but you know how people can be, if the tests are repeatable and can be devised so a few independent guys can do them( at the mo just amir but..) all the better.

And this will help us, the forum:)

Mivera

Major Contributor
Yes but you know how people can be, if the tests are repeatable and can be devised so a few independent guys can do them( at the mo just amir but..) all the better.

And this will help us, the forum:)

Yes of course. I can run the same tests 5 times on video if you want. I'm confident if I can run them 5 times and get the same results on video, it should measure the same if I ship it off elsewhere. Unless there's something wrong with the aPX-555 I get.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Weiss make some optical to electrical cables, they use that orange glass , very cool!
@Thomas 'not just to shift boxes'
now you tell me!
Keith

Yes ST fiber is the only way to go these days. It used to cost an arm and a leg, but the prices have drastically reduced over the last few years. No excuse to use copper cables that pickup all sorts of noise from the network and transfer in into your audio gear.

Geardaddy

Ha! Finally someone steps up to the plate. Getting tired of the patronizing blah blah.

Geardaddy

Keith

Keith, what educational background do you have and what "science" have you been involved in? I come from a science family. My father is an Oxford educated PhD Biochemist and professor. I grew up around people who were empirically oriented and measured everything. I am in medicine and have extensive experience in biomedical research with papers in peer reviewed journals, etc. In medicine, the actual quality of our "science" is limited and despite our best efforts, you have to intuitively navigate your way into "best practice" protocols.

The use of the term "science" as applied to audio is farcical simply due to the paradigm at hand. Audio is a complex and multifactorial equation due to its being an interface between the observed (material world) and observer (us). Much like quantum physics, the one who observes and measures influences what is measured. As much as engineers like to play the role of bully boys on these forums, I have yet to hear a good discussion of what to measure and why.

All that aside, Amir, can your wife and kids tell the difference between the Rendu and your magic server in a blinded fashion? I bet not.

Top Bottom