• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

resistor relay volume control preamp

Brab

I'm interested in the Topping L70 preamp. Are there other similar preamps with resistor relay based volume control (with remote) to consider preferably cheaper? thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
AFAIK, the L70 is the least expensive remote controlled Preamp with stepped volume control, that's currently available.

staticV3

Master Contributor

HannahMarsh66

A resistor relay volume control preamp adjusts audio volume by switching resistors with relays for precise control and minimal signal distortion

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A resistor relay volume control preamp adjusts audio volume by switching resistors with relays for precise control and minimal signal distortion
precision and channel balance and easy remote control yes.
Distortion is not really determined by this.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
precision and channel balance and easy remote control yes.
Distortion is not really determined by this.

At the end of the day, an ALPs motorized blue velvet (conductive plastics RK-27) is arguably a better choice.

I don't think I've ever had a failed one on my bench.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
me neither. have seen relays and relay drivers fail ...:)

arguably, calibrated attenuation, channel balance, accuracy goes to the relay thingies at the cost of PCB space and power consumptions as well as mechanical noises.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I totally agree. Just don't ever use switch cleaner on one. Ask me how I know...
You have to use the right kind that does not affect the plastic film.

Top Bottom