• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
- Data-wise (according to Wiki so not much data), the newer Treks have been among of the top performing series on their streaming service and also overall among shows in general.
Yeah, sure…

As for ratings on streaming platforms, they are a closely guarded secret and any numbers made public should be take. With a grain of salt. Netflix dropped it not because it was such a massive success.

Them going back more to the original didn't really have an effect on viewership, IMO.
You don’t need opinions, you need facts:

But you can't deny though, Discovery did reinvigorate Star Trek in this new era.
I can! But leave that to @Blumlein 88 ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Star-Trek-Discovery-memes-featured.jpg
You just have to know how to bring bullshit… I guess the current generation is so used to it seeing it everywhere they lost any sensitivity to quality bullshit ;)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
IMO. But you can't deny though, Discovery did reinvigorate Star Trek in this new era.

WHAT!!??????? Discovery was an embarrassment.

Yes there was demand for Discovery as a new Star Trek offering promising lots when there had been no new Treks for a few years. Started with good ratings. Those ratings went down with every season. Strange New Worlds was just slightly below Discovery's first season ratings, but I know many like myself who had such a bad taste left over from Discovery I almost didn't watch. I only watched Discovery about halfway through season 2. Picard season 3 had ratings that were very high the first two seasons started out about like Discovery and declined the 2nd year. Again Discovery was a new offering after a drought of Trek shows. It wasted that advantage.

I agree. Too much sobbing and "I love you so much" and not enough exploration of philosophical themes. Some examples explored in older versions of Star Trek include: should artificial life forms have the same rights as humans? Are they sentient? What about holograms, which are incorporeal, and only exist as a computer program? How do we deal with cultures with vastly different values to our own? What is the meaning of justice in context of a different culture? All these questions are fascinating, and the original ST and TNG addressed those questions without forcing a particular viewpoint down your throat. They presented the arguments for and against, and although the characters had to make a decision, it was left to you to decide what you would do if faced with the same situation. Discovery was awful in that regard, THEY had already addressed the moral questions and you are a bigot if you don't accept it. That's how I felt when I watched it.

Zim

Forum Donor
Discovery was awful in that regard, THEY had already addressed the moral questions and you are a bigot if you don't accept it. That's how I felt when I watched it.
This is pretty much what I meant about it being tailored to modern audiences, along with its approach to telling stories episode-to-episode. And that, to me, is what makes it delightful and refreshing compared to past Star Trek shows. Understandably the older Star Trek fans would view this as more polarising and surely some degree of disdain but again, different generation, different views and tastes. I personally love both approaches. Ebb and flow. Picard did a great job having both ways. Discovery was great with having upheld the more assertive storyline. I think it's alright for a franchise to try new things, branch out with ethos. Otherwise we'd just end up with another Star Wars disaster that is 7, 8, 9 where it's just rehashing same old stories, same old techniques sprinkled with shit-ton of fan service.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Otherwise we'd just end up with another Star Wars disaster that is 7, 8, 9 where it's just rehashing same old stories, same old techniques sprinkled with shit-ton of fan service.
I'm sure very few fans thought that 7,8 and 9 did them a service... It suffers from the exact same nonsense as the Trek stuff. Mando was a nice experiment though, until the last season that is...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I just started watching the new season of Mandalorian. It's soooooooo booooooooring. I switched it off halfway through the first episode and I am going to cancel my Disney subscription. Nothing good comes out from them any more.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having seen episode 2 of season 2, it was better. Still a few quibbles, but not so far off Trek as the previous episode. Now get out of the vincinity of Earth, and go find some actual Strange New Worlds.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now get out of the vincinity of Earth, and go find some actual Strange New Worlds.
Yep, I've had way more than enough morals lessons from ST
Lets go find some real weird aliens. ;)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw SNW second episode got a bit borred that Star Trek storyline is about to do the right thing an morral lessons over an over. Realy i can't wait for the Section 31 movie an possible Serie(s)
Screenshot_2023-06-23-18-51-47-629-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Zim

Forum Donor
S02E02 was great. Gives some more backstory on a character that hadn't much to begin with. I love, that after all this time, this new era finds ways to further world-build and character-build at a good pace. Too much stuff out there now catered to those with short attention spans, wanting so many things, action, drama, in one episode.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was going to come here and talk about just seeing the series 1 episodes 1 & 2 and you all are already on season two! :)

After waiting weeks, I finally got the 4K release of the series 1 on UHD Blu-ray. With much excitement, started to play the first episode. Picture quality was great but what kind of soundtrack is this? There is almost no LFE. Surround channels just play the watered down fronts. It is like TV sound playing! Sad, really sad.

On the story, there was barely enough there to watch in episode 1. Tension started and instantly resolved in 15 minutes. Rest was backstory that didn't need to be that long. Episode 2 was worse. So bad that typing this I can't even remember what it was about! Oh wait, I just remembered. Some stupid thing about music being code for something -- yet again.

My wife says let's keep watching and it may grow on us. Let's hope so.

I think Discovery was so bad that we have lowered our bar so much for what can be a decent Star Trek series. It must be hard to get writers that were as good as the ones in the original series. What else would explain these watered down stories?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to come here and talk about just seeing the series 1 episodes 1 & 2 and you all are already on season two! :)

After waiting weeks, I finally got the 4K release of the series 1 on UHD Blu-ray. With much excitement, started to play the first episode. Picture quality was great but what kind of soundtrack is this? There is almost no LFE. Surround channels just play the watered down fronts. It is like TV sound playing! Sad, really sad.

On the story, there was barely enough there to watch in episode 1. Tension started and instantly resolved in 15 minutes. Rest was backstory that didn't need to be that long. Episode 2 was worse. So bad that typing this I can't even remember what it was about! Oh wait, I just remembered. Some stupid thing about music being code for something -- yet again.

My wife says let's keep watching and it may grow on us. Let's hope so.

I think Discovery was so bad that we have lowered our bar so much for what can be a decent Star Trek series. It must be hard to get writers that were as good as the ones in the original series. What else would explain these watered down stories?
Plenty of LF on the broadcast. I wonder why it would not be on the Blu-ray?

What else would explain these watered down stories?

They are made for "modern audiences". Must be watered down to include everyone equally and not offend.

Top Bottom