• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 284 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 176 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He'd love to pay for reviews based on his latest post.

View attachment 367094

I'm glad he's still getting called out, especially after blocking several of us from being able to access and comment on the Tekton Design FB page.

A weird quirk of Facebook allowing owners of public pages to block people is you can view the Tekton Design FB page, including all the posts and comments, if you access it in a browser where you're not logged into your FB account. When you're logged in, though, you can't even view the page and it doesn't show up in search results when you try to look for it.

JakeK

Forum Donor
I would happily post my positive impressions of Eric and his speakers on this very forum if he would send me a free pair.
That's how many so called reviewers seem to operate. Write positive articles about products with no real attempts to measure scientifically but plenty of superlatives that mostly amount to a review of the music they listened to and get to keep some of those items for free.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is a simulation for my 10'' woofer project. Tuning frequency: 24Hz. I replaced my regular 10cm port with 4 holes 6mm. Unfortunately, my software does not alow to scale up/down this graph but it might be that the CALCULATED speed of air reaches 100% speed of sound.
You forgot something very important: Tekton M-Lore already has one big (4 inches?) bass-reflex tube, i.e. one big opening in the box. One big opening plus 4 very small openings are not the same as 4 small openings!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You forgot something very important: Tekton M-Lore already has one big (4 inches?) bass-reflex tube, i.e. one big opening in the box. One big opening plus 4 very small openings are not the same as 4 small openings!
..and doesn’t that relieve the pressure that might otherwise cause the air velocities EA claimed? I’d think you might need to seal the box, at least, for that.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
..and doesn’t that relieve the pressure that might otherwise cause the air velocities EA claimed? I’d think you might need to seal the box, at least, for that.

I think that was assumed in his post. As in, this is how Eric arrived at the supersonic air nonsense, but add the port back and the pressure change is assumed to be minimal.

Vladimir Filevski

Yes, it does relieve the pressure, but do not eliminate it. That is why it is important to seal all holes, except the bass-reflex tube.

DLS79

Forum Donor

Yea, and it would take a majority of the air flow because the hole is larger and will have less resistance!

YSC

Major Contributor
Yes, it does relieve the pressure, but do not eliminate it. That is why it is important to seal all holes, except the bass-reflex tube.
I think that's a basic knowledge to anyone semi-competent in speaker design.. just seal the holes you don't wanted air to leak out. It's not like this is a $10 no brand speaker or that metal screw socket which can be glued onto the openings are a new invention.

Darthprater

I'm glad he's still getting called out, especially after blocking several of us from being able to access and comment on the Tekton Design FB page.

A weird quirk of Facebook allowing owners of public pages to block people is you can view the Tekton Design FB page, including all the posts and comments, if you access it in a browser where you're not logged into your FB account. When you're logged in, though, you can't even view the page and it doesn't show up in search results when you try to look for it.
For whatever reason he hasn’t blocked me yet.

ta240

Major Contributor
They had their 4-10 subwoofers at a booth with another companies speakers. There were no Tekton speakers at Axpona
I do feel bad for his employees.

Interesting that the sub appears to use a plate amp that people say has a 30Hz 'subsonic' filter. Probably, not bad for music but not great for a large subwoofer for home theater.
There are also a few reports of the Yung SD300 ending up with mains voltage on the housing.

I just can't get past there being no trim rings around the larger drivers on the Tekton speakers. I built a DIY speaker that had a surface mount drive unit like that with the felt gasket showing. It really bothered me as looking unfinished. In a dorm room, maybe; in my living room, no.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a simulation for my 10'' woofer project. Tuning frequency: 24Hz. I replaced my regular 10cm port with 4 holes 6mm. Unfortunately, my software does not alow to scale up/down this graph but it might be that the CALCULATED speed of air reaches 100% speed of sound.
View attachment 366792

Here is the simulation for my regular port size (5% speed of sound):
View attachment 366793

All this happens with the reasonable driver excursion of +/-10mm:
View attachment 366794
Simple loudspeaker design simulators use the usual assumptions for acoustics calculations, one of these assumptions is that air is incompressible. The assumption is good at the typical pressures for normal sound waves.

A pressure wave with an oscillating amplitude of 1 Pa (Pascal = N/m^2) gives 94 dB SPL. In comparison, standard sea level atmospheric pressure is 101325 Pa, which means a pressure fluctuating at a mere [Edit] 0.01% 0.001% of atmospheric pressure already produces a relatively loud sound.

They rule of thumb to start considering compressible effect is when the Mach number exceeds about 0.3. To get to Mach 0.3, using the compressible flow table, the ratio between the local pressure at the point where M=0.3 and the source pressure needs to be 0.9395, which means a drop in pressure of 6% atm (in absolute scale). It requires a 47% atm drop to reach M=1.0.

compressible_flow.png

What this all means is that it is impossible for a typical bass driver to drive the port velocity to anywhere close to Mach 1. First, it require extreme cone travel to compress the air inside the enclosure to produce the required pressure. Second, the driver motor will not be able to supply the necessary force. Third, the diaphragm will not be able to withstand the stress from the pressure differential between the front (exposed to the room at 1 atm) and back (which needs to be at 1.9 atm) and self-destruct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom