• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m aware about that in fact I even turn the volume on amazon. It made it louder but not sound better. There were some textures on music that quoboz has that amazon was missing these were repeated played many times over. Could it be on the mastering or the software within Alexa that impacted the sound? Ifi stream on exclusive mode meaning turning off unnecessary services on that you don’t use made difference on their device like all in one vs tidal connect only. Bottom line, I’m not the only one who claim this so does reviewers from internet like what hifi? and other forum all over internet.
So you're using different hardware (some of which is an Echo/Alexa device and the other the Wiim?) For playing the two streams? What is the exact setup?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Same songs and artwork lobo “I'd Love You to Want Me” A quick change between the tracks on wiim I could hear difference. I had 2 others when I had them listened without seeing my phone which service I was switching but they too keep picking qoboz. I look online that others say something that qoboz sound better than tidal and amazon. In paper, there should no difference but in practice there was. Also John Lennon “imagine” on quoboz it gave me 3d sound that I find on amazon flat 2d sound. I am about to pull the plug out to cancel amazon and tidal and stick on one service.

Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? Same mastering? This track appears on a few different albums

There's 're-recorded' version and 'LP version'

It always helps if you can screenshot the album on both Amazon and Qobuz, to at least show same album cover

And ideally you should use both services inside WiiM Home app - to keep hardware identical in comparison

If the mastering is the same, the bits are the same, there is zero chance of any SQ different for bit perfect output - especially from same hardware

1663571895725.png

1663571938879.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
And @Smartplug

Qobuz has a Rhino 1996 release

Amazon Music has Atlantic 2004 release

:)

Precisely why people need to share album details - or you are comparing an apple to an orange.

No wonder they may sound different

There was another guy claiming difference in sound a few days ago here and when I asked for the album specifically, I never got a reply

The details matter people

jakc

Issue:

When running through AudioEngine DAC, between songs the DAC gives audible click.
About 40% of the time, does not actually allow for playback of next song and just dead air.

Tried:

Reverted back to using the AUX out and bypassing the DAC = works fine.
Was hoping a newer WiiM firmware would revert the issue, but still happening today.
Same issue if I use a different USB power source

Setup:
  • Airplay from iPhones
  • WiiM connected to Audioengine D1 DAC via SPDIF
  • DAC powered from Audioening A1 USB
  • See below for more info
Before I submit a ticket, anyone seen this or can suggest a workaround that incorporates the DAC?

1663575515998.png

Brantome

Major Contributor
And @Smartplug

Qobuz has a Rhino 1996 release

Amazon Music has Atlantic 2004 release

:)

Precisely why people need to share album details - or you are comparing an apple to an orange.

No wonder they may sound different

There was another guy claiming difference in sound a few days ago here and when I asked for the album specifically, I never got a reply

The details matter people
I also notice that the Lobo track shows different bitrates across Amazon, Qobuz and Tidal, although that shouldn’t impact the output bit stream, should it?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Issue:
When running through AudioEngine DAC, between songs the DAC gives audible click.
About 40% of the time, does not actually allow for playback of next song and just dead air.

Tried:
Was hoping a newer WiiM firmware would revert the issue, but still happening today.

Setup:
  • Airplay from iPhones
Before I submit a ticket, anyone seen this or can suggest a workaround that incorporates the DAC?

View attachment 231948
Have you tried the AUX out from the Wiim connected to the speakers directly? Bypassing the Audioengine D1.
The A1 have only analog in right? Just to see if the issue is in the Wiim or not.

jakc

Have you tried the AUX out from the Wiim connected to the speakers directly? Bypassing the Audioengine D1.
The A1 have only analog in right? Just to see if the issue is in the Wiim or not.
Thanks for quick reply.
Yes. Bypassing the DAC and using AUX is my current workaround.

Using the same DAC + Speakers with a PC or Kodi/TV setup works fine using SPDIF.

Was hoping there might be some workaround that lets me use DAC with WiiM.
DACs clicking between tracks seems to be a common issue, and I am ok with the audible click, but when it fails to actually play the song, then this rules out this configuration.
When it does fail, I can see that the track is indeed playing on the original device.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I also notice that the Lobo track shows different bitrates across Amazon, Qobuz and Tidal, although that shouldn’t impact the output bit stream, should it?
I just saw the Tidal version has gone through the wonderful MQA blender, so that is definitely different bits - different to Qobuz and Amazon and Apple Music.

Amazon and Qobuz releases look to be different masterings (1996 vs 2004) which would explain different bitrate.

Apple Music has the 1996 Rhino version.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thanks for quick reply.
Yes. Bypassing the DAC and using AUX is my current workaround.

Using the same DAC + Speakers with a PC or Kodi/TV setup works fine using SPDIF.

Was hoping there might be some workaround that lets me use DAC with WiiM.
DACs clicking between tracks seems to be a common issue, and I am ok with the audible click, but when it fails to actually play the song, then this rules out this configuration.
When it does fail, I can see that the track is indeed playing on the original device.
Can you try to get a player status during the song which is not followed in the app, using httpapi and the web browser?

https://<wiim_ip>/httpapi.asp?command=getPlayerStatus

Smartplug

Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? Same mastering? This track appears on a few different albums

There's 're-recorded' version and 'LP version'

It always helps if you can screenshot the album on both Amazon and Qobuz, to at least show same album cover

And ideally you should use both services inside WiiM Home app - to keep hardware identical in comparison

If the mastering is the same, the bits are the same, there is zero chance of any SQ different for bit perfect output - especially from same hardware

View attachment 231940

View attachment 231941
The blue artwork

telemike

Issue:

Tried:

Setup:
  • Airplay from iPhones

View attachment 231948

Try changing WIIM output to 96k/24 bit and 44.1k/16 bit and see if you hear issues. 192K may not work well with the D1

jakc

Try changing WIIM output to 96k/24 bit and 44.1k/16 bit and see if you hear issues. 192K may not work well with the D1
Thanks. I did try this about 3mths back and same issue, however will repeat tomorrow and report back.

Smartplug

See post #4,123

Same blue artwork but if you look at closer album details - probably different masterings
That’s what I’m thinking the mastering maybe different despite same artwork. Since I have listened to wide variety of music with same artwork this tells me as in my ear the mastering on quoboz is just better. Ok cancelling one now round 2 tidal vs quoboz on hifi not master with same artwork.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That’s what I’m thinking the mastering maybe different despite same artwork. Since I have listened to wide variety of music with same artwork this tells me as in my ear the mastering on quoboz is just better. Ok cancelling one now round 2 tidal vs quoboz on hifi not master with same artwork.

Yes so now you can see, the name of the album and even same album cover (which you didn't provide till asked) is not enough detail.

Smartplug

Yes so now you can see, the name of the album and even same album cover (which you didn't provide till asked) is not enough detail.
Prior to qoboz, I was mainly listening to amazon and I have been tinkering the setting on both wiim and receiver even adjusting speaker distance but just could not get the sound right on my ear, there were some lacking on sonic quality. I gave quoboz a try I did not even try hard as soon the instrument and voice came out speakers I knew that was the sound that should have been.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Prior to qoboz, I was mainly listening to amazon and I have been tinkering the setting on both wiim and receiver even adjusting speaker distance but just could not get the sound right on my ear, there were some lacking on sonic quality. I gave quoboz a try I did not even try hard as soon the instrument and voice came out speakers I knew that was the sound that should have been.
Full respect if you can really hear such differences. I usually consider this kind of statements as a a pure fantasy.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Qobuz is cool - no doubt.

I still have Qobuz, Amazon Music UHD, Apple Music Hi-Res, Tidal, Spotify.

I wish I had more ears :p

At some point in the next 12 months I want to have just 1 and drop the rest.

I think there will be some big changes coming.

For example hi-res Airplay will change the game for me.

Qobuz Connect is coming.

Spotify HiFi may still be coming.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Qobuz is cool - no doubt.

I still have Qobuz, Amazon Music UHD, Apple Music Hi-Res, Tidal, Spotify.

I wish I had more ears :p

At some point in the next 12 months I want to have just 1 and drop the rest.

I think there will be some big changes coming.

For example hi-res Airplay will change the game for me.

Qobuz Connect is coming.

Spotify HiFi may still be coming.
I wanted to get rid of Spotify service but no chance. AM gives me nothing but troubles, Apple's service is problematic for Windows users, I don't like MQA and Qobuz is not available in my country.

Top Bottom