• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESS ES9039PRO and ES9027PRO announced

evan123

The new one. SU-9 Pro.

In the L7 review, forum member nameless999 wrote some detail about the practical differences between 9038 and 9039. Quoting nameless999, using a machine translation to English:

The first 9039? Not for smsl, I really want to say a few words about this chip. The official website of the data manual has been released. How can I see that it is a shrinking version of 9038!? The biggest feature is the more power-saving hyperstream modulator. What channels does this power saving rely on? I looked at it at a glance and saw two points from the data manual 1. The worse reconstruction filter eliminates the brickwall, adds an additional minimum phase, and worse filter attenuation. 2. For lower-frequency hyperstream modulators, mclk (MasterClock) 9038 has an asynchronous mode of 100mhz (>2048fs) and 9039 is 50mhz (1024fs). You know, the data on the 9008 white paper is 40mhz. Isn't this equivalent to doing it back... This mclk is related to the final modulation process, which affects noise shaping and also directly affects the resolution.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It must be a trade off of some sort: lost a few things here to gain other things we don't know yet? Maybe this solves the low level artifacts and/or the hump?

Sabaj A20d 2022 - 0.1dB Step Sine THD vs Level -25dBFS to 0dBFS (ESS Harmonic Dance).png

KSTR

Major Contributor
9039PRO and 9027PRO also have revised "recommended output stages" in their datasheets (https://www.esstech.com/products-overview/digital-to-analog-converters/sabre-audiophile-dacs/) which use a back-to-back de-glitch capacitor plus no "angst" resistor for the I/V capacitor (sounds familiar, doesn't it ;-). They also use a common-mode control loop with an extra opamp to force the output voltages to be exactly 0V rather than using a bias voltage directly.
The 9027PRO circuit shown in the datasheet looks, let's say, somewhat special... probably a drawing error...

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
9039PRO and 9027PRO also have revised "recommended output stages" in their datasheets (https://www.esstech.com/products-overview/digital-to-analog-converters/sabre-audiophile-dacs/) which use a back-to-back de-glitch capacitor plus no "angst" resistor for the I/V capacitor (sounds familiar, doesn't it ;-). They also use a common-mode control loop with an extra opamp to force the output voltages to be exactly 0V rather than using a bias voltage directly.
The 9027PRO circuit shown in the datasheet looks, let's say, somewhat special... probably a drawing error...
this "auto bias" savs money no adjustment anymore + long time stability.

BR52

interesting the capacitor between the outputs before the i/v circuits. Looks like the output stage is the same cr,,,,,,, like before. Did they read your posts? Why do they use the fast
expensive 1611 for this task??

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
interesting the capacitor between the outputs before the i/v circuits. Looks like the output stage is the same cr,,,,,,, like before. Did they read your posts? Why do they use the fast
expensive 1611 for this task??
Normally there isn't any adjustment pot, rather the proper resistor selection is made for the Vref divider ceating the bias voltage. But there still is always a residual error and yes, aging / temp changes etc can move the DC bias around.

But the most important point is that the dynamic (AC) common mode signal is removed by this servo loop (a known technique in instrumentation). By this, you can use one output leg single-ended with almost no degradation wrt distortion and noise, quite in contrary to the simple biased circuits.

The CM servo loop also is the lowest noise and distortion circuit to balance an output around the output reference. In single ended mode it's a bit less good but still better than the usual approach with a subtractor circuit after the I/V's.

The CM servo loop is forming a composite amplifier loop (the I/V's being the slave buffers, paralleled). This, and the previous remark, are two reasons why you want to use a nice fast precision OpAmp here. Further, you want to have controlled conditions for the master and slave OpAmps bandwidths and very similar bandwidths are a good operating point for such a composite. Finally, using the same OpAmp type throughout is convenient and cost-effective in mass production (the 1611 will actually be 1/2 1612 in most implementations, and in a true precision application the OPA1612's will be OPA2211's -- same chip but selected for better offset ratings).

Conceptually, the whole shebang is equivalent to a fully differential OpAmp and one can use a good one but probably specs would be a bit worse than with the discrete solution, plus you're restricting yourself to non-standard parts and footprints (bad idea these days) and there is no room for optimization (like the positive feedback seen in the 9039 circuit which creates an ever so slightly negative input impedance... whatever that will do for circuit perfomance).

BR52

Yesterday it was a little late.... Today I need a little help to understand the ESS schematic.
Mostly we can see here some tweaks of the I/V stage, from KSTR already shown here February 2022.
The offset problem is here solved with an active stage. So far, so good. Now I was expecting a slow (integrating)
offset compensation. Here we can see something very fast acting (51 pF!!) integrating (compensating) capacitor and a fast OP -amp. Some Ideas?
1666597296205.png

KSTR

Major Contributor
Here we can see something very fast acting (51 pF!!) integrating (compensating) capacitor and a fast OP -amp. Some Ideas?
Yes, it's a very fast "servo", the idea is to remove all DC and AC common-mode voltage at the outputs, up to and beyond audio frequencies.

BR52

Normally there isn't any adjustment pot, rather the proper resistor selection is made for the Vref divider ceating the bias voltage. But there still is always a residual error and yes, aging / temp changes etc can move the DC bias around.

But the most important point is that the dynamic (AC) common mode signal is removed by this servo loop (a known technique in instrumentation). By this, you can use one output leg single-ended with almost no degradation wrt distortion and noise, quite in contrary to the simple biased circuits.

The CM servo loop also is the lowest noise and distortion circuit to balance an output around the output reference. In single ended mode it's a bit less good but still better than the usual approach with a subtractor circuit after the I/V's.

The CM servo loop is forming a composite amplifier loop (the I/V's being the slave buffers, paralleled). This, and the previous remark, are two reasons why you want to use a nice fast precision OpAmp here. Further, you want to have controlled conditions for the master and slave OpAmps bandwidths and very similar bandwidths are a good operating point for such a composite. Finally, using the same OpAmp type throughout is convenient and cost-effective in mass production (the 1611 will actually be 1/2 1612 in most implementations, and in a true precision application the OPA1612's will be OPA2211's -- same chip but selected for better offset ratings).

Conceptually, the whole shebang is equivalent to a fully differential OpAmp and one can use a good one but probably specs would be a bit worse than with the discrete solution, plus you're restricting yourself to non-standard parts and footprints (bad idea these days) and there is no room for optimization (like the positive feedback seen in the 9039 circuit which creates an ever so slightly negative input impedance... whatever that will do for circuit perfomance).
Your answer was faster then my question:)

evan123

If the 9039 internally remodulates to exactly 1024fs (as nameless999 suggests), I wonder if that might imply one could feed the DAC DSD1024 with no internal remodulation (just expansion to wide DSD for volume control). It would be unusual but definitely possible today to feed at DSD1024.

Historically ESS has been quite opaque about what is going on under the hood so we will probably never know, but that might have something to do with the change in remodulation rate from 100MHz in the 9038?

piaseczek

It's interesting that in fist implementations of the es9039pro (smsl su9pro & d400es) probably synchronous mode is used and yet measurements are great.

David_M

Yesterday it was a little late.... Today I need a little help to understand the ESS schematic.
Mostly we can see here some tweaks of the I/V stage, from KSTR already shown here February 2022.
The offset problem is here solved with an active stage. So far, so good. Now I was expecting a slow (integrating)
offset compensation. Here we can see something very fast acting (51 pF!!) integrating (compensating) capacitor and a fast OP -amp. Some Ideas?
View attachment 239109

Old post here ... Can someone please explain to me why there's positive feedback on the U14 opamps? Also, why the fast servo with a 2,600Hz bandwidth? I'm used to seeing BW values under 100Hz or so.

BR52

Old post here ... Can someone please explain to me why there's positive feedback on the U14 opamps? Also, why the fast servo with a 2,600Hz bandwidth? I'm used to seeing BW values under 100Hz or so.
It’s not a dc servo its a full bandwidth servo to suppress the broader bandwidth common mode.

David_M

1692626753336.png

The I/V stages for the ES9069 and 9039Q2M (they are identical) are nuts to me. So unlike the one for the 9039PRO shown in above post. Can some explain to me how this IV stage works? Why positive feedback on U2.1? Why apply DAC input to both U2.1 filter netwirk and non-inverting input of U2.2? How is this circuit truly balanced?

David_M

It’s not a dc servo its a full bandwidth servo to suppress the broader bandwidth common mode.
Cool! Thank you for clearing that up. Is the assumption here that music signals within the filter bandwidth are differential and not common to both +/- inputs?