• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

totti1965

I also think @amirm should always show the measurements with the default settings, not (only) the most optimal ones. 95% of people will probably not ever change this setting, so it would be only good to show what it does. Now we only have half of the story.
Yes, that would cost Amir (in this case) 5 minutes of extra time and would bring everybody here a little bit extra peace of mind (and a better feeling in choosing the "right" filter).

Potion9

I've own this VMV R2D over a 1 week now. Not sure I got a defective unit but I do hear this weird sound while connecting to the laptop. That doesn't happen if using Coaxial or Bluetooth. I have other 2 DAC D1se & SU-10 with no issues. I see that Amirm mention spurious tones using USB during test, not sure if that is what i'm encounter. Has anyone hear this tones while using USB?

tw99

I've own this VMV R2D over a 1 week now. Not sure I got a defective unit but I do hear this weird sound while connecting to the laptop. That doesn't happen if using Coaxial or Bluetooth. I have other 2 DAC D1se & SU-10 with no issues. I see that Amirm mention spurious tones using USB during test, not sure if that is what i'm encounter. Has anyone hear this tones while using USB?
Could be a ground loop.

What is this ???

Attachments

• d2r.jpg
    d2r.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 143

What is this ? A Litz wire ?

Attachments

• d2r2.jpg
    d2r2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 109

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A manual patch.. probably a small PCB error they fixed.

gizmo90

I'm not hearing anything weird with USB on mine. Perhaps it is? Or as mentioned a ground loop issue.

Potion9

I got a reply from SMSL - They suspected the samething ground loop and they want me to connect DAC to PC and test which I will do tomorrow.

Potion9

USB noise is soved (it was ground loop, I forgot and plug the laptop into an outlet instead of power center).

I did an A/B/C between 3 DACs (R2D, SU-10 & D1se) with my PC and main rig. R2D sound livelier and best out of them all. Sound stage is very spacious and wide with all 3 DAC. R2D bass hit deep, clear and clean vs SU-10 & D1se not as good. Female vocal seem more acurate with R2D vs the other 2 DAC. Guitar and voilin sound a tad better with R2D.

newdac.jpg
20231212_194331.jpg

Last edited:

gizmo90

USB noise is soved (it was ground loop, I forgot and plug the laptop into an outlet instead of power center).

I did an A/B/C between 3 DACs (R2D, SU-10 & D1se) with my PC and main rig. R2D sound livelier and best out of them all. Sound stage is very spacious and wide with all 3 DAC. R2D bass hit deep, clear and clean vs SU-10 & D1se not as good. Female vocal seem more acurate with R2D vs the other 2 DAC. Guitar and voilin sound a tad better with R2D.
Nice, I'm glad you got that sorted out.

Before the objectivists tear you a new one, thanks for sharing your comparison! What filter and sound color did you use?

Potion9

Nice, I'm glad you got that sorted out.

Before the objectivists tear you a new one, thanks for sharing your comparison! What filter and sound color did you use?
SU-10 Rich 1, D1se Tube 3 and R2D HIGH LOW OSR + HPC OFF. Default is LOW OSR+HPC ON.

SOUND COLOR
  • LOW OSR+HPC ON
  • LOW OSR+HPC OFF
  • HIGH LOW OSR+HPC ON
  • HIGH LOW OSR+HPC OFF
OSR (oversampling rate), a high oversampling rate can more effectively filter out the out-of-band noise of digital audio. PRE MODE PRE MODE is the volume adjustment function switch for the output interface.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Irony is the strong point of these forums in which only the measure is syndicated.
No, irony is claiming a subjective uncontrolled listening experience as objective :facepalm:

The joke is on you, not me.

Rotel

USB noise:
I'm using the D2R DAC's USB input. When starting playback, I hear a low noise on the XLR output. There is no noise on the RCA output.
Is the ground loop causing this noise?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Potion9

USB noise:
I'm using the D2R DAC's USB input. When starting playback, I hear a low noise on the XLR output. There is no noise on the RCA output.
Is the ground loop causing this noise?
Thanks!
I'm also using USB as source and XLR out. I did had an issues earlier where a low crackling or pop at beginning or while music is playing.

After plug the laptop AC adapter into power center with noises filter and ground loop isolation problem solved.

Rotel

I'm also using USB as source and XLR out. I did had an issues earlier where a low crackling or pop at beginning or while music is playing.

After plug the laptop AC adapter into power center with noises filter and ground loop isolation problem solved.
Thanks. I'll find where my problem is. I also like the LOW OSR+HPC OFF setting it's the best for my system. It's a very good DAC but I'm missing a bit of meat in the bass (on my system). But I'm getting used to it.

Guilherme_BR

View attachment 333833View attachment 333842
Did you notice more soundstage depth with D2R ? I noticed that when compared to su10. Maybe D2R was tailored to give an R2R soundstage?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe D2R was tailored to give an R2R soundstage?
Maybe it’s all in your head, or maybe adding the same HF droop with EQ on the other DAC will make it sound exactly the same…. Who knows… do a controlled test.

Top Bottom