• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that would cost Amir (in this case) 5 minutes of extra time and would bring everybody here a little bit extra peace of mind (and a better feeling in choosing the "right" filter).
Yes please and also tell which are useless and should not be used .

I don’t think this is a user setting , the designers should make the correct choice use that and the design the rest of the circuit accordingly and remove the settings from the UI :)

gizmo90

One day I hope the subjectivist and objectivists will work together to bring a new understanding of Hi-Fi and human conciseness.

How does one quantify the emotional response you have to gear/music? Perhaps some kind of Voight-Kampff type test. :cool:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How does one quantify the emotional response you have to gear/music? Perhaps some kind of Voight-Kampff type test. :cool:
First step would be accepting that there is an emotional response in the first place and that is many cases, this has nothing at all to do with the performance of the device.

gizmo90

First step would be accepting that there is an emotional response in the first place and that is many cases, this has nothing at all to do with the performance of the device.
Well different gear with the same music gives me different emotional response. The biggest one being joy. Why is that? Rolled off treble?

Guilherme_BR

Maybe it’s all in your head, or maybe adding the same HF droop with EQ on the other DAC will make it sound exactly the same…. Who knows… do a controlled test.
Basically I could get, for example, a really great measuring DAC like SU10 and make it sound exactly the same as any other Dac just adding some EQ? That would be really great

Overseas

Major Contributor
Basically I could get, for example, a really great measuring DAC like SU10 and make it sound exactly the same as any other Dac just adding some EQ? That would be really great
You do not EQ the DACs.
It is about the end resulting sound.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In most cases, you don’t even need the EQ!

Guilherme_BR

In most cases, you don’t even need the EQ!
But if someone prefers the sound of Gustard A26 or D2R the pearson could do that, right? Just run an EQ after SU10 and get exactly the same sound and save some money, since SU10 is way cheaper than both of these DACs. Imaging, soundstage, everything would be the same.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeap, see the EQ preset titled as 'I want it to sound like a 10k DAC'.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But if someone prefers the sound of Gustard A26 or D2R the pearson could do that, right?
If there are provable audible differences between these DACs, then the frequency response is indeed the most likely reason for it.

gizmo90

What did you think of D2R when compared to other DACs ?
I like it . Sounds very similar to a Rotel CD11 tribute but a tiny bit better. The D300 lacked detail/seemed a bit muffled. The D1SE2 was nice but the HF response bothered me no mater what filter. D2R is between the two mentioned I suppose.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
USB noise is soved (it was ground loop, I forgot and plug the laptop into an outlet instead of power center).

I did an A/B/C between 3 DACs (R2D, SU-10 & D1se) with my PC and main rig. R2D sound livelier and best out of them all. Sound stage is very spacious and wide with all 3 DAC. R2D bass hit deep, clear and clean vs SU-10 & D1se not as good. Female vocal seem more acurate with R2D vs the other 2 DAC. Guitar and voilin sound a tad better with R2D.

View attachment 333833View attachment 333842
Really? Subjective sound impressions from transparent measuring DACs?

Guilherme_BR

I like it . Sounds very similar to a Rotel CD11 tribute but a tiny bit better. The D300 lacked detail/seemed a bit muffled. The D1SE2 was nice but the HF response bothered me no mater what filter. D2R is between the two mentioned I suppose.
The HF response on SU10 used to bother me until I started using "brickwall" filter and sound color "tube 1". Unfortunately it seems that brickwall filter was removed in Ess 9039 pro. What I really like about D2R is the effect on vocals, they have that "in the room" presence. About sound color modes on D2R, I believe that "HPC off" modes sound way better.

Celentano

Can anyone tell what they used in output stage of VMV D2R? It is not a discrete implementation, is it?
Is it dead silent when there is no signal?

Last edited:

Rotel

The HF response on SU10 used to bother me until I started using "brickwall" filter and sound color "tube 1". Unfortunately it seems that brickwall filter was removed in Ess 9039 pro. What I really like about D2R is the effect on vocals, they have that "in the room" presence. About sound color modes on D2R, I believe that "HPC off" modes sound way better.
My setup:
- Sharp Roll-OFF
- Low OSR + HPC OFF

Information:
Today I put the PI2AES module back on the Raspberry Pi4. The I2S input of VMV D2R works with the I2S output of the PI2AES module. I could not use the I2S interface of the VMV D1SE with the Pi2AES module.

Celentano

Even through YouTube it sounds interesting not boring at all!
However he reported some sort of DAC was weak in bass area...:eek:

Last edited:

Rotel

I decreased the low frequencies with sponges at the D1SE DAC. The D2R DAC doesn't need sponges. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom