• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@JohnYang1997 Perhaps you can comment on the protection mechanisms built into this amplifier for both the product itself, and the connected headphones, as per my comments further back in this thread.

edit: just saw your post further back. :)

Atrox

Hi! Does anyone know the color of the power on led? Is it green, blue, or white? (Please be white!)

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And I absolutely agree, but as John stated, the amp wiring is still single ended and there are no power gains using the "balanced" connectors (XLR and 4.4), so why would anyone want to use balanced connections if they can get the same power output with a regular 6.35 jack (or a more standard 3.5 mm one)?

I think that it should be the point of designing an authentic SE endgame, to avoid the use of balanced connectors and being able to extract the maximum power output using the regular cables that most headphones normally include.

If you want BAL connections, there is the A90 which is a truly balanced design.

Just my opinion, of course.
I mean balanced cables are most of the times higher quality in sense of handling, comfort and looks. So Id rather use it than some stock cable which is stiff etc. Again nice to have the choice. Also XLR connectors are more robust.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hi! Does anyone know the color of the power on led? Is it green, blue, or white? (Please be white!)

It's RGB. Accessible with the Topping "Hue" app via Bluetooth to be any of 16million colours. ****kidding****

pos

Forum Donor
Why not? I know people use some headphone amps on compression drivers due to the lower noise, but I don't understand what data to look at to determine what product is suitable.

The drivers are 32 ohm devices, around 20 ohm if filtered with the impedance linearization and protection filter.
I am using a THX789 to power the compression drivers in my M2, and this has been working no problem for me so far.
If you want satisfying SPL levels you will need to remove the passive filter/lpad as it chops around 9dB off the signal, and replace it with a simple protection cap.
Please note that this calls for specific adjustments in the active filter parameters...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great review again.

What is the ground lift knob for?
@amirm , did you try its two positions?

Merkurio

I mean balanced cables are most of the times higher quality in sense of handling, comfort and looks. So Id rather use it than some stock cable which is stiff etc. Again nice to have the choice. Also XLR connectors are more robust.

You can buy (or build) the same quality cable either balanced or single ended, the only difference would be the connector at the end, being the standard 3.5 and 1/4" (6.35) much more widely used.

1/4" are robust enough in my book to not be a concern and 3.5 mm is incredibly convenient for IEMs or portable headphones.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
And before anyone ask, the chassis is always earthed. And there are back to back diodes across the switch to make sure under extreme condition the device is still good.

Also to reproduce ground loop issue:
D10s powered by desktop PC - RCA - A30pro
And switching to LIFT eliminates the ground loop.

Nango

Major Contributor
And before anyone ask, the chassis is always earthed. And there are back to back diodes across the switch to make sure under extreme condition the device is still good.

Also to reproduce ground loop issue:
D10s powered by desktop PC - RCA - A30pro
And switching to LIFT eliminates the ground loop.

Sorry @JohnYang1997 that we even dared with no reason for.

ninetylol

You can buy (or build) the same quality cable either balanced or single ended, the only difference would be the connector at the end, being the standard 3.5 and 1/4" (6.35) much more widely used.

1/4" are robust enough in my book to not be a concern and 3.5 mm is incredibly convenient for IEMs or portable headphones.
Obviously. And you have the choice to use those as well. I dont understand your criticisim for extra choices.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
In case of grounding problems, you can play with it. Otherwise just leave its default grounded option.

bit pricier I'll assume, but should not be too far off; while getting a lot more in return.
Said to myself I wasn't buying anymore gear in 2021 looking like another stack on the desk,guess I lied to myself.Wanna see what this amp does with the D30pro with the CS chips,I like the sound of the Ibasso dx160.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So having read the review, I'm thinking this is an excellent headphone amp with all the features of balanced, etc, but where do we go from here.....we don't need better performance than this right......from now on if this is the benchmark then we just need features / aesthetics / cost as distinguishing factors in the future?

Merkurio

Obviously. And you have the choice to use those as well. I dont understand your criticisim for extra choices.

You can't use 3.5 mm, which is the most common SE connector used in the world, but you can use XLR and 4.4 Pentaconn in a SE designed device. It isn't really that difficult to understand.

The brand has always been receptive to feedback and I don't think I'm saying something that insults or put in evidence @JohnYang1997 excellent work (and if so, I owe him an apology).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You can't use 3.5 mm, which is the most common connector used in the world, but you can use XLR and 4.4 Pentaconn in a SE designed device. I don't think it's that hard to understand.

The brand has always been receptive to feedback and I don't think I'm saying something that insults or put in evidence @JohnYang1997 excellent work (and if so, I owe him an apology).
3.5mm jack is much easier to break. I'd put another 6.35mm before adding 3.5mm. You can use adapters (which surprisingly doesn't cause any distortion even under load).
Quite a few headphones come with 4.4mm jack now. So having that is certainly a plus. Also who knows what happens a couple of years later.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So having read the review, I'm thinking this is an excellent headphone amp with all the features of balanced, etc, but where do we go from here.....we don't need better performance than this right......from now on if this is the benchmark then we just need features / aesthetics / cost as distinguishing factors in the future?

Its been this way since the THX789. Arguably since the Atom. Its an impressive achievement but way more than is needed for 99% of uses and users. Still might not stop me buying one :D

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Its been this way since the THX789. Arguably since the Atom. Its an impressive achievement but way more than is needed for 99% of uses and users. Still might not stop me buying one :D
Not completely. Like DT880 600Ohm can't be used with balanced output, which is the direct drive to design this amp. And sensitive IEMs can still have noise when connected to BAL out of 789. 99% use, probably.

Top Bottom