• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
Just the DAC and control of volume in the PC? Hmm very dangerous in case of accidental 100%.
I think partially true, but since the amp will cut off before the speaker ran into any damge I think it should not be dangerous to the speaker, for ears I kind of feel the hotkeys to mute the speaker immediately should also be safe to protect your ears before any permanent damage though. the inconvenience is a bit annoying that's why when I use my headphone amp as preamp making the volume pot having almost no headroom and decided to spend some USD 400 on the Khozmo passive. But everyone's budget is different, would be nice if you would use some good passive preamps, but no harm also with a simple adapter, you will use the same adapter with a preamp anyway if you found out you need one, so no harm to use it directly with the dac only at first I think

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also for desktop usage usually the input sensitivity can be adjusted at many monitors at such a level that even if accidentally the PC output is set to 100% it won't be too loud for our ears (good monitors like Genelec, Neumann etc anyway won't get damaged by overload).

Tangband

Major Contributor
^ that's correct. One can use other DSP though with the 8030. I used DSpeaker Antimode DualCore for years with the 8040. Good device, but when I upgraded to 8340 the GLM room correction was better imo.
Interesting.
Im considering buying a pair of 8340 . Is it a big difference in sound quality between 8040 and 8340 ?
in what way ?

YSC

Major Contributor
^ that's correct. One can use other DSP though with the 8030. I used DSpeaker Antimode DualCore for years with the 8040. Good device, but when I upgraded to 8340 the GLM room correction was better imo.
So you used the glm to make the speaker flat at listening position? Or make it downward sloped as in preferred in room response ?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting.
Im considering buying a pair of 8340 . Is it a big difference in sound quality between 8040 and 8340 ?
in what way ?

Huge improvement, because 8340 has GLM room correction. And I really mean huge with a capital H. You will hear the differences in every area, but mostly in the lower end, which becomes ’right’ instead of a boomy mess.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
So you used the glm to make the speaker flat at listening position? Or make it downward sloped as in preferred in room response ?

First just flat i.e. the standard GLM autocorrect. Later the Genelec calibration tour visited my home (FOR FREE) and their sound engineers further tweaked the sound manually. Talk about great customer service! I also got a free Genelec mug, t-shirt and a small bag of artesan coffee. :)

YSC

Major Contributor
First just flat i.e. the standard GLM autocorrect. Later the Genelec calibration tour visited my home (FOR FREE) and their sound engineers further tweaked the sound manually. Talk about great customer service! I also got a free Genelec mug, t-shirt and a small bag of artesan coffee. :)
So can we share your corrected curve for appreciation?

Verausci

These speakers are focusing on the audible band.
Up to 20KHz is the audible band really (obviously depending on age though).

I would have thought speakers would aim for flat upto 22KHz since that's the range given by a 44100Hz sample rate (most used), though just above the limits of human hearing.

Last edited:

lc155

And how many songs actually have content up that high?

Verausci

And how many songs actually have content up that high?
Quite a few, though at a reduced amplitude compared to the rest of the spectrum. But in principle it's good to be able to reproduce those higher frequencies I'd say.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, but in fact I think the Genelec reproduce them. The dip is more at 18 kHz. And not very bad.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming the dip is real(it's not present in the official measurements) and not just a measurement artifact, it's hard to imagine a scenario where it's material compared to the one at 2-3khz.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
That's a really nasty looking dip after 16K!
Up to 20KHz is the audible band really (obviously depending on age though).

I would have thought speakers would aim for flat upto 22KHz since that's the range given by a 44100Hz sample rate (most used), though just above the limits of human hearing.
Quite a few, though at a reduced amplitude compared to the rest of the spectrum. But in principle it's good to be able to reproduce those higher frequencies I'd say.
Okay that's some arguments or news :) 1) nasty dip 2) should perform flat 22kHz given 44,1kHz rate 3) stated as good feature to be able reproduce those higher frequencies.

1) Think really not its nasty and probably roll of few dB in gentle slope in comparison to other systems but if we study how directivity index curve goes wide from 3kHz and up we probably have some of the answer for voicing up there and there should be plenty of output.

2) Probably not a problem technical lift it flat to 22kHz but would probably mean a kind of ringing roll of and combine that to many DAC's steep -144dB ringing filter slope plus because of directivity then sound power up there will be much too hot.

3) Listening window of 8030C fade out of graph at 20kHz as good or relative higher than KH 80 plus LYD5 and their directivity pattern up there call for voicing as is.

8030C has a bit weird crossover region probably using non symetric slopes that could be a point of critism but think not above is anything bad here.

Verausci_x1x1_1200mS.gif

Last edited:

Takanaka

Forum Donor
What stands are recommended for these? The Isopods are probably pretty nice, but I need to get them higher to get the tweeter on ear level on my desk.

Genelec’s own stands seem decent but they only seem to deal with desk reflections but don’t seem to do anything in the way of decoupling the sound, so I’m kinda leaning towards Isoacoustic ISO-130.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What stands are recommended for these? The Isopods are probably pretty nice, but I need to get them higher to get the tweeter on ear level on my desk.

Genelec’s own stands seem decent but they only seem to deal with desk reflections but don’t seem to do anything in the way of decoupling the sound, so I’m kinda leaning towards Isoacoustic ISO-130.
Decoupling is an audiophile meme, the small rubber feet on the Genelec table stands are enough.

Last edited:

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Decoupling is an audiophile meme, the small rubber feet on the Genelec table stands are enough.
Interesting, I was under the impression it would help quite a bit. Guess I’ll take a look at the 8000-323B/W. Only thing that seems somewhat annoying is that parts of the back are inaccessible with it, but it’s a moot point once configured.

Do you have experience with the combination?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Interesting, I was under the impression it would help quite a bit. Guess I’ll take a look at the 8000-323B/W. Only thing that seems somewhat annoying is that parts of the back are inaccessible with it, but it’s a moot point once configured.

Do you have experience with the combination?
It's the exact configuration I have. The controls (dip switch and sensitivity knob) are accessible, but I recommend plugging it before screwing it to the stand.

GAP

I currently have a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 2 in my living room. They are connected to tv, streamer (USB) and CCA, and TT through Dynaudio Connect. I have a pair of the tiny 8010 at my desk which I just love, within its limits of course. It has attracted me to go with Genelec for my living room/TV setup as well.

I like the Xeos as it is, but sometimes I would like some more bottom. The 8030's alone wouldn't get me this but i'm consider 8030C + 7040 or 7050, or perhaps another sub from a different brand, perhaps with a Minidsp DDRC-24.

How would this combo work if anyone have experience?

Top Bottom