• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Miguelón

Afterwards, you can build your measurement signal chain like this: Laptop HP Out->[DUT]->Focusrite Line in->back to Laptop, and the frequency and phase response of all but the DUT ("Device under Test") will be corrected, so that only the DUT response remains.

As soon as you change the signal chain WRT I/O, the cal file becomes invalid.

Changing the I/O will require a recalibration, if you want to minimize the impact of your measurement equipment on the final result.
Thanks for the explanations, even if I didn’t post any question I still not used my interface for measurements.

In the case where I want to measure my monitors response on my room, should I calibrate the Focusrite or is enough approximation to suppose it is relatively linear?

Or since my interface has 2 line inputs can REW consider a signal path line out 2 => line in 2 as a reference when testing line out 1 => speakers => room response => mic? => line in 1?

In this case supposing the mic is calibrated

Last edited:

Basic Channel

When you calibrate Laptop Headphone out->Focusrite Line in->USB->back into Laptop, then REW will create a cal file that corrects for the sum of nonlinearities from your Laptop's Headphone Out and the Focusrite's Line in.

Afterwards, you can build your measurement signal chain like this: Laptop HP Out->[DUT]->Focusrite Line in->back to Laptop, and the frequency and phase response of all but the DUT ("Device under Test") will be corrected, so that only the DUT response remains.

As soon as you change the signal chain WRT I/O, the cal file becomes invalid.

Changing the I/O will require a recalibration, if you want to minimize the impact of your measurement equipment on the final result.

Thank you. I get the above, but I was kinda asking something different. No wonder you didn't understand my question, as I worded it like a toddler. :) I suppose I am trying to ask how (if possible) I'd be able to see from the calibration measurements that my laptop "line" out is worse than the focusrite line out. I appreciate both these measurements are impacted by the focusrite line in.

I only calibrated my laptop out just out of curiosity to see the results so not a big deal.

Miguelón

Thank you. I get the above, but I was kinda asking something different. No wonder you didn't understand my question, as I worded it like a toddler. :) I suppose I am trying to ask how (if possible) I'd be able to see from the calibration measurements that my laptop "line" out is worse than the focusrite line out. I appreciate both these measurements are impacted by the focusrite line in.

I only calibrated my laptop out just out of curiosity to see the results so not a big deal.
I understood that you’re measuring your headphones output, since I red your post, but as I never measured my Genelecs I have the same curiosity to have a FQR curve :)

Do you think my signal chain will work enough good? I had no experience on acoustic measurements

Miguelón

Hmmm, even if I’m not an expert on electronic calibration the laptop headphones output should be pretty flat as they are basically a DAC with a digital control volume

Basic Channel

I understood that you’re measuring your headphones output, since I red your post, but as I never measured my Genelecs I have the same curiosity to have a FQR curve :)

Do you think my signal chain will work enough good? I had no experience on acoustic measurements

I was going to clarify with staticv3 in my last post to him but didn't want to inundate him with daft questions. Both my laptop and focusrite outs measure flat as pancakes. And THD is the same too (not sure how real that is). So in terms of REW correcting for the FQR output it must not be doing much at all.

Given I am using a cheap uncalibrated ECM8000 and am measuring in a room, I don't suppose that calibrating the soundcard is making any real difference to the end measurements.

Miguelón

I was going to clarify with staticv3 in my last post to him but didn't want to inundate him with daft questions. Both my laptop and focusrite outs measure flat as pancakes. And THD is the same too (not sure how real that is). So in terms of REW correcting for the FQR output it must not be doing much at all.

Given I am using a cheap uncalibrated ECM8000 and am measuring in a room, I don't suppose that calibrating the soundcard is making any real difference to the end measurements.
I don’t think so, as far as I know soundcards should be also neutral. I’m introducing in room measurements, but as I red suggests that calibration mics have more influence on measurements than electronic devices since are mechano-electric pieces, so linearity is more difficult to keep than in pure circuits.

Cigibroke

Do you advice ISS on or off and why?
The two speakers do not sleep at exactly the same time. There is a difference of about 1 minute between them.
When the PC starts up, they wake up within 1 second. However, today the left speaker did not wake up with the windows start up sound. It woke up right after I turned on a music file. Is it normal to occasionally sleep or wake up later than each other?
Thanks

Last edited:

EasyC

Do you advice ISS on or off and why?
The two speakers do not sleep at exactly the same time. There is a difference of about 1 minute between them.
When the PC starts up, they wake up within 1 second. However, today the left speaker did not wake up with the windows start up sound. It woke up right after I turned on a music file. Have you ever had this type of un-syncronize problems on iss?
Thanks
With me they wake up instantly when they detect sound (8030c and 7050c).

Cigibroke

With me they wake up instantly when they detect sound (8030c and 7050c).
It was like that for me too, it happened like this once today. First I turned on the DAC and then started the PC. I don't know, maybe something like HDMI handshake happened in the USB connection during windows startup sound..
When I started the PC as first and then the DAC in the next startups, both speakers woke up together without any delay.

Miguelón

The 8320a has. I would expect the 8020d to be close to it. You can also download the manual and look at the specs and graphics. You can trust them.
I have one pair at home, they sound really nice! Just find interesting perhaps an Amirm review because is one of best sellers 4 inch monitor

Miguelón

I’m sorry for writing for a second time how these little speakers sound good.

Even in my little living room, with glass behind, kind a “sound pit” created by two pillars and a bar-like table, no carpets or curtains they sound crazy flat after careful manipulation of dip switches (no DSP).

Listening for flat speakers are for me a recent discovery, despite initially boring impression now I can listening for hours without distracting of (barely) any frequency over the others.

Possibly they are better 5 inch monitors, I don’t know but think these 8030cpm will keep making me happy for many years :cool:

Thanks a lot for the review, Amir: 66% of my decision was based on your detailed review!

King3567

I agree with the post above mine. I've gone through some different options over the years, trying to optimize quality and cost based on the reviews and owner feedback that was available at those times.

This is my primary listening spot - meaning, I sit in front of these things for 9 hours each day while I perform my day job - and I am very glad that I finally have a true reference for my future plans, like someday setting up a bigger system in my living room. I know now what sort of sound I should be aiming for.

Right now I have them sitting on some books on my desktop. I am waiting for the vendor to get me the L-Shaped stands (they didn't stock them normally).

My setup is simple - USB -> Atom DAC -> Atom Amp -> Genelec 8030C. I would really like to add a sub or two at some point, but once you add up the costs there, meaning a new device (MiniDSP) and two subs, it starts to get pretty out there on costs. Oh well! It will be more fun when I finally can pull the trigger (and add DIRAC).

Might be worth it to spring for the MiniDSP now, so that I can get DIRAC, but I'm not sure. I am in a basement with pretty plush carpet and some big bookshelves at the first reflection spot. We will see.

Thanks again very much to everyone for posting your impressions and thoughts on these speakers over the years.

I was also considering a competing product from another very large and well respected brand on this site. I don't want to say specifically, but I think I would have been equally thrilled with products from either company. I think somehow the Genelec marketing worked on me a bit - they really try to give you the sense that you are buying something special, hand-crafted, and from a company that is socially responsible, all that stuff.

Miguelón

I agree with the post above mine. I've gone through some different options over the years, trying to optimize quality and cost based on the reviews and owner feedback that was available at those times.

This is my primary listening spot - meaning, I sit in front of these things for 9 hours each day while I perform my day job - and I am very glad that I finally have a true reference for my future plans, like someday setting up a bigger system in my living room. I know now what sort of sound I should be aiming for.

Right now I have them sitting on some books on my desktop. I am waiting for the vendor to get me the L-Shaped stands (they didn't stock them normally).

My setup is simple - USB -> Atom DAC -> Atom Amp -> Genelec 8030C. I would really like to add a sub or two at some point, but once you add up the costs there, meaning a new device (MiniDSP) and two subs, it starts to get pretty out there on costs. Oh well! It will be more fun when I finally can pull the trigger (and add DIRAC).

Might be worth it to spring for the MiniDSP now, so that I can get DIRAC, but I'm not sure. I am in a basement with pretty plush carpet and some big bookshelves at the first reflection spot. We will see.

Thanks again very much to everyone for posting your impressions and thoughts on these speakers over the years.

I was also considering a competing product from another very large and well respected brand on this site. I don't want to say specifically, but I think I would have been equally thrilled with products from either company. I think somehow the Genelec marketing worked on me a bit - they really try to give you the sense that you are buying something special, hand-crafted, and from a company that is socially responsible, all that stuff.
The mini DSP is well considered? I have some details to make on room correction.

I tried also Neumann’s KH 120 and KH 80 but I didn’t like them, but on measurements are excellent on Amir reviews. My taste goes more on the Genelecs musicality as I use them for the piano and home listening.

The 7040 subwoofer is going to be my next buy when recover my bank account from the Genelecs, is not ultra expensive and other members had achieved well results with the 8030c

tim5

I wonder how they will be heard in a 12 -square -meter room, with music by the spotify and Youtube.
I have allready Elac 6.2 debut but i didnt connect yet.Which are better?

Top Bottom