• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

mentamums

mentamums,​

put your tv, or apple box audio settings to PCM and that noise is gone. D30 will not decode dolby/dts signals.
Wow, this did the trick. Many thanks!

For reference: on Apple TV i went into Settings --> Video and Audio --> Audio Format --> Change Format: ON --> New format: Stereo.

carsonpoland

I'v noticed low quality of analog input. D03 use PCM1808 for ADC. Cheap adc, but it sounds preety good at Edifier Rxxxx multimedia speakers.
I'v measured ADC input filter components value. There is low pass filter with -3db frequency at 2.6kHz. That's the problem. Dont know, it is mistake from assembly line, or it's schematic mistake.
C145 capacitor should be ~2.4nF for LPF frequency at 24 kHz cause ADC work at 96kHz with limit of input audio frequency 48kHz.
Schematic for one channel, another channel similar, but several component have no marking on pcb. I'v removed C145 and similar capacitor from another channel. Analog input sounds good.
That is orignal ADC input LPF schematic. Have no pcb photo for showing that capacitors. I'll add photo later.
Hi. So it work or not? :) Ive bought lately D03, works great but analog input is really downside of this amp. I want to fix this if there is a working solution.

luigimaloni

Hi, I have the same problem as @theurden (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mplifier-subjective-review.25686/post-1274460). Sometimes the sound is interrupted for a second or so and then comes back. The problem happens to me both via USB and Bluetooth with different audio sources (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music or direct playback). I returned the first amplifier for this reason, and the second one that has just arrived to me has the same problem, so it seems to be a design problem of the amplifier.

Mitchell McLean

If anyone is interested, the d03 is currently listed for $119.99 on walmart.com w/free US shipping. The listing I found was from vendor AIYIMA AUDIO (fulfilled by Walmart), and is flagged as clearance (Maybe there's a d03 Pro in the pipeline?)

ps - I bought one. The listing makes no mention of USB/optical cables, but they were included.

Last edited:

sound67

Just got the D03 myself. Happy to report it comes with a 36V 6A power supply, which, volt-wise, is the maximum recommended. Other Aiyima amps come with either a 24V 4.5A or 32V 6A power supply.

sound67

Hi, I have the same problem as @theurden (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...mplifier-subjective-review.25686/post-1274460). Sometimes the sound is interrupted for a second or so and then comes back. The problem happens to me both via USB and Bluetooth with different audio sources (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music or direct playback). I returned the first amplifier for this reason, and the second one that has just arrived to me has the same problem, so it seems to be a design problem of the amplifier.
That doesn't have to be the amp's fault. I had those dropouts with a Loxjie A30, but only when optically connected to my Samsung TVs. If you google "Samsung TV optical dropouts" you'll find these dropouts occur with a wide variety of connected gear, so the fault probably lies with the TV.

sound67

IMG_20230324_134807.jpg

IMG_20230324_151643.jpg

IMG_20230324_151708.jpg

IMG_20230324_134659.jpg

IMG_20230324_134901.jpg

burebista

You need to set up the D03 using the menu system if you are going to use the Sub output.
Can you explain what menu system for sub?

I just registered here to thank OP and all users for this thread. It helped me a lot to choose D03.
Prior to D03 I've had an ancient Technics SU-V500 paired with Mission MX-3 speakers. I have a Fiio Taishan DAC from TV to amplifier and a Fiio E10K DAC from a notebook with Daphile (my precious FLAC collection of music) to amplifier so I wanted to clear the space and Aiyima D03 looks like a perfect candidate so I bought it mainly based on this thread.

I'm very pleased with it. It sounds at least as pleasant like my old Technics but is more functional with all those inputs.
I even bought an entry level subwoofer (Cambridge Audio SX-120) . After a couple of emails with Aiyima about subwoofer output they finally told me this:
The frequencies for subwoofer output is 20-135Hz
The frequencies for speaker output is 20-20kHz(bass ±0dB;treble±0dB)

So I put subwoofer crossover frequency around 80 Hz and subwoofer volume around 35 and it blends nice with my speakers.
This is why I was curious about the quote in my beginning of this post.

About audio dropouts. I have D03 for three weeks. Until now I've had two dropouts when watching cable TV but none when watching movies/shows via KODI on same TV.
Also two dropouts listening music from Daphile notebook.
For now they don't bother me but it's a strange behaviour.

sound67

First impressions are very good indeed. I watched DVDs all night. The monochrome LED display is very clean but a bit small, you need to come close to really see anything but the input and volume (like bass and treble increments). Funny that it not only says OPT but also displays a small Toslink-shaped icon. ;)

There are no EQ settings on this one, just bass and treble controls. 14db plus or minus, but in 2db steps this time. As I stated before, I don't believe in dramatic sound differences in amplifiers other than how the actual power controls the bass, and the D03 , which comes with a 36V-6A power supply, certainly had enough. I'm 55, so I have to dial up the volume a bit more, but found slightly-higher-than-comfortable settings at 30/100 (TV) and 45/100 (DVD) through the optical input, using the amp's internal Cirrus Logic DAC. I got my LG BD Player connected via Toslink and RCA, and I actually preferred the amp's DAC, which seemed more dynamic and punchy to me (though ever so slightly). The sub out also provides enough power for my ELAC Debut 10.2, and compared to the T9 Pro I had to decrease the volume on the sub a bit. The sound of the D03 strikes me as fairly neutral, but for vocal clarity I did increment the highs by 4db (again, I'm 55). I had listened to the TV and music on my T9 Pro the night before, and subjectively I felt that the T9 Pro is a bit more mellow in the highs. Suffice to say, there were no noise or audible distortion whatsoever on the D03 at the levels I was using.

IMG_20230326_103558.jpg

I just got a pair of Q Acoustics 3030i standmount speakers at 88db/6 Ohms, I'll see what the results will be with this combi.

pseudo

What would you guys recommend as an alternative to this with similar features and price but with a decent RCA in?

I've been using my D03 exclusively over bluetooth for a year and have been very happy with how it sounds.
But I just recently wanted to connect a DJ controller to the aux input and wow does it sound like crap :(

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well if you just want aux / RCA input go for the Fosi Audio V3 (or the Aiyima A07) maybe with a cheap SMSL DAC for your digital inputs?

Depending on what other features you are using ? E.g. Remote control? Tone controls?

pseudo

Well if you just want aux / RCA input go for the Fosi Audio V3 (or the Aiyima A07) maybe with a cheap SMSL DAC for your digital inputs?

Depending on what other features you are using ? E.g. Remote control? Tone controls?
Most important features are bluetooth and sub out. Would prefer something all in one.
Loxjie a30 maybe? Seems very similar and I think I remember reading the RCA is better. Although I was considering it too when I first bought the D03 but can't remember what made me go with the Aiyima in the end.

Also something with slightly better cooling than the D03 would be nice.
When in use during the summer, the case gets incredibly hot to the touch..

Toku

Major Contributor

AIYIMA D03 is a full digital amplifier, but it adds an analog input in addition to the digital input, but unfortunately its sound quality is not good. Think of the analog input as a bonus feature.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What would you guys recommend as an alternative to this with similar features and price but with a decent RCA in?

I've been using my D03 exclusively over bluetooth for a year and have been very happy with how it sounds.
But I just recently wanted to connect a DJ controller to the aux input and wow does it sound like crap :(
Yep, owned one, Bluetooth and digital inputs on the D03 are very good, the aux is not.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm very pleased with the line in and BT for the SMSL AO100 amplifier, with a digital volume control and remote. If's great for a small to medium sized room where you don't need a ton of power (can get to about 45 wpc at 8 ohm). Kind of a sleeper in their lineup, I don't see it mentioned much, but it's a nice little unit for $110.

I also like that it has the 6 electronic tone settings (though I don't use much), SW outputs and a display that you can set for two brightness levels or to fade off after a few seconds.

sound67

I'm using the D03's analogue out only for my subwoofer. No problems there.

pseudo

Anyone tried this with a 48v power supply? Would it work and sound better than the 36v or blow up/catch fire?

Top Bottom