• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR == Anti-Science Review

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where does the hate and personal comments come from that guy at the asylum?
Without knowing who he is, it is hard to say. He clearly doesn't understand the topics he is bringing up. For example, Uptone readily accepted at the end that their products were not designed correctly based on their misunderstanding of mains leakage through power supplies and FET switches they were using). A lot of their users could not follow the technical discussions and worshipped the designer behind it and the products. So they comforted themselves with the talking point that I am some random dude that doesn't know anything. He seems to be one of the people who didn't follow how that story ultimately finished.

A lot has changed since then. No company whose products have measured poorly has produced differing measurements to show that they do well. This is across countless products I have given the no-confidence vote to. Doesn't look like he is aware of this so he thinks his incorrect and old arguments stick.

I have also made a few enemies in the subjectivist world. I had a falling out with my partner at another forum (WBF) because he didn't want to hurt feelings of subjectivists by measuring audio gear and speaking of audio science. So I left eventually and formed ASR.

Finally, we have banned a few very obnoxious people from here especially in early days. He strikes me as one of them seeing how he is not technical, was active in uptone discussions (especially on WBF) and doesn't have a grasp of the technical topics.

I should say that I read this kind of commentary often although not with that much venum usually. So I am used to it. It is the Internet and this kind of thing is to be expected.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I have also made a few enemies in the subjectivist world. I had a falling out with my partner at another forum (WBF) because he didn't want to hurt feelings of subjectivists by measuring audio gear and speaking of audio science. So I left eventually and formed ASR.

I can understand the designer/engineer feeling embarrassed at having their products' poor performance highlighted.

I can understand an equipment owner feeling upset at a company who sold them the stuff.

But anyone highlighting product deficiencies is performing a public service. Getting upset or angry at them is rather childish.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Without knowing who he is, it is hard to say. He clearly doesn't understand the topics he is bringing up. For example, Uptone readily accepted at the end that their products were not designed correctly based on their misunderstanding of mains leakage through power supplies and FET switches they were using). A lot of their users could not follow the technical discussions and worshipped the designer behind it and the products. So they comforted themselves with the talking point that I am some random dude that doesn't know anything. He seems to be one of the people who didn't follow how that story ultimately finished.

A lot has changed since then. No company whose products have measured poorly has produced differing measurements to show that they do well. This is across countless products I have given the no-confidence vote to. Doesn't look like he is aware of this so he thinks his incorrect and old arguments stick.

Finally, we have banned a few very obnoxious people from here especially in early days. He strikes me as one of them seeing how he is not technical, was active in uptone discussions (especially on WBF) and doesn't have a grasp of the technical topics.

I should say that I read this kind of commentary often although not with that much venum usually. So I am used to it. It is the Internet and this kind of thing is to be expected.
@amirm... I -for one - greatly appreciate ASR for what it is. Finally, no 'alternative facts' or babble of words that can't be parsed into anything meaningful. Just cold, hard, measured facts.

We can discuss the meaningfulness of the measured facts, as we do and continue to do.

But we have at ASR 'baselines' for objective comparison between products which we can then decide suits - or doesn't suit - the listening experience we are looking for.

This, let alone the educational aspects on what is likely to make the best listening experience, makes ASR invaluable..

Now I will go back to listening Beethoven 7th on my modest 100db dynamic range Fire 7"'Amazon UHD 16/44.1 streamer, D10, Liquid Spark (I like the power) and HE400i. Very satisfactory - for my 77yo ears :)

Amirm, keep up your great stuff!

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't compete with the locally grown, but it doesn't get more local than Roasting on my kitchen counter. Just finished a batch of Tanzanian Peaberry...still dialing in the exact right roast, but I'm close.

Got into roasting about 20 years ago. Started with the air bed/popcorn popper variant, which I couldn't get decent results from, and moved to this one shortly after.

Love it. Green coffee in bulk lasts a long time, and is a lot cheaper, even with delivery.

Anyway...coffee is an integral part of every day.View attachment 36560
The first coffee that I ever had that was truly remarkable to me was in a little café in Singapore in the mid-1990s, and the owner told me it was Tanzanian Peaberry. I don't know how much of it had to do with the coffee beans, the roast, how they brewed it, and how much due to being so happy to be off the aircraft carrier and away from my "shipmates" for a while haha! Perhaps I'd think the coffee was mediocre if I were to have an identical cup of it today, but it was still a memorable experience lol. Parallels audio experiences in many of the same ways, of course! :D

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did we get to coffee?

Hugo9000

How did we get to coffee?
Thomas commented on Amir being so science-y that he wears a lab coat to bed, then someone expressed surprise that he finds time to sleep, then someone posted about testing beds for seniors, then someone mentioned a need for waterproof mattress covers for seniors, someone else suggested Depends instead, and then coffee seems pretty natural as a reason for someone to end up with a full bladder, I suppose? We could veer off toward beer next as I'm sure there are others here who drink more of that than coffee? :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I was taken aback when my daughter asked me, "Why do these people hate you". I couldn't believe she was searching my name . I apprised her on how little this matters.
At some point to you will have to appraise her on how pathetic many men can be..

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thomas commented on Amir being so science-y that he wears a lab coat to bed, then someone expressed surprise that he finds time to sleep, then someone posted about testing beds for seniors, then someone mentioned a need for waterproof mattress covers for seniors, someone else suggested Depends instead, and then coffee seems pretty natural as a reason for someone to end up with a full bladder, I suppose? We could veer off toward beer next as I'm sure there are others here who drink more of that than coffee? :D

Let's veer off to beer. My vote is for California style IPA's with around 7% ABV.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Let's veer off to beer. My vote is for California style IPA's with around 7% ABV.

I'm getting sleepy after all that beer. Has that senior's bed arrived yet?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, the thread on AS forum has this title: "Was it not "Bill" Gaetz' job not to be surprised by Apple?"

Bill had decided to retire before Vista came out/Apple had much going on for it. He was going to dedicate himself to his charity and didn't feel good about pushing for new directions at that time.

Prior to that, he saw some of this coming such as belief in tablets. He even created a group dedicated to portable and lightweight tablets. Alas, the guy who took over Windows and produced Windows 8 (sinofsky) killed all that due to no experience or insight with consumer electronics.

The phone group was given to Xbox team to manager who had zero interest in it. The thinking was that they knew about "hardware" and phone OS was a "hardware business."

My last initiative at Microsoft was to try ring the warning bells that Apple was going into phones and that would be where the ultimate battle would be. I was told I was too naive that no way Apple could make the leap from building iPod music players to a complicated device such as a phone. Meanwhile the Xbox team was told to compete with Apple's iPod with the results being disastrous Zune player. I was told to keep quiet and not get involved in this at which point I decided to leave the company.

If Bill had stayed at the head of the company at the time, and the terrible re-orgs around Vista time frame had not happened (a sales guy was in charge of all Platforms including Windows!), the world would have been different for Microsoft. I like Steve Ballmer but his actions in these areas were just not correct.

BTW, it is not to say that Bill was such a genius that would see everything in the future. He was not. Nor was Steve Jobs for that matter. There was a great team under Steve that created those innovations. His job was to say yes and turbo charge them. Let's remember that he was the one that created the super expensive Lisa computer, the Newton, etc., all of which were terrible failures.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I'd think the coffee was mediocre if I were to have an identical cup of it today, but it was still a memorable experience lol. Parallels audio experiences in many of the same ways, of course! :D
No reason to believe it was anything less than excellent, coffee hasn't developed any quicker than hifi over that time, probably less.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Despite the headwinds mentioned above, looks like MSFT is still in the running for top dog.

Top 10 by Market Value:

1571604394377.png

Hugo9000

No reason to believe it was anything less than excellent, coffee hasn't developed any quicker than hifi over that time, probably less.
Oh, my point was simply regarding the brain processes involved, memory, mood, biases, etc. and how our perceptions can be affected, whether it's an extraordinary experience with coffee or with music playback. I don't really worry about blind testing with coffee or music and try to live in the moment and enjoy it where I can. I'd likely have enjoyed a cup of Hills Bros. from a percolator in similar conditions of a beautiful day and a nice meal in a lovely café away from the ship haha!

I want science and engineering and testing to be used by companies to ensure quality, consistency, reliability, and other things so I don't have to worry so much about it myself. Then I can concentrate on my music. Or brew a pot of coffee and rely on it being consistent generally with past experiences with the brand and roast so that it won't ruin my breakfast. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
[
Oh, my point was simply regarding the brain processes involved, memory, mood, biases, etc. and how our perceptions can be affected, whether it's an extraordinary experience with coffee or with music playback.

I'd likely have enjoyed a cup of Hills Bros. from a percolator in similar conditions of a beautiful day and a nice meal in a lovely café away from the ship haha!

Maybe track some down...medium roast. It is a world class coffee.

But, point taken for sure. Plus, 'Tanzanian,' has a 'z,' like in 'jazz,' which makes it clearly relevant for those not keeping up.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I was taken aback when my daughter asked me, "Why do these people hate you". I couldn't believe she was searching my name . I apprised her on how little this matters.

Yeah. I don't know what I'd do if I was unfriended by the Kardashians or anyone on an Internet forum. :rolleyes:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Imagine the face of a man seeing "fire" for the first time. Then imagine my face. Same thing, maybe slightly uglier.

This is great!

As rabbit holes go, this is a cheap one, but one I enjoy every day. So many kinds of coffee...so little time...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Axis of Evil.

Speaking of which, Jan will be here January through March, good time to visit the new place...

Top Bottom