• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR == Anti-Science Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
There's a thin but significant line between someone saying "The nCore amps are proof that something that measures well can sound like garbage" and someone saying "I didn't care for the sound of the nCore amps... my old Audiosource amp sounds much better".

It's totally reasonable (and accurate) to dispute both on performance measurements... however, unless you have proof of deception - the second statement is unimpeachable. It's not providing advice, it's not claiming absolutes - it's just one person's opinion. There are some around here that will jump all over anyone that says that the KEF LS50 doesn't sound very good or that the LSR305's have really bad hiss... but yet I agree with those opinions. Doesn't mean I think the LS50 isn't a very well made and well measuring speaker... it's just not for me (though I love my 305's, they are pretty noisy nearfield).

That said, it's not going to change... we're all human - and humans love fighting (even over nothing at all). Been that way since the caves... and it will be that way in the distant future. More likely to evolve the ability to fly than the ability to peacefully live in disagreement... IMO at least. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time I had a blog ranked at #425,000 on Alexa. I thought it was a mistake.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
College days, Kraft mac and cheese (made with powdered milk) 6 for a dollar and Mitsubishi canned mackerel 25 cents. A whole days sustenance for less than half a dollar.

I agree. To this day, I can still tolerate a cuppa joe with Coffee Mate. It's not as good as my Rocket espresso machine and locally roasted beans but it takes me back to a time when I was happy to get it.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Amir goes to bed?
I guess I wouldn't be the onlyone interested in tests of senior beds? Think before it's too late!
https://seniorsmatter.com/options-senior-beds/

shopping.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's a thin but significant line between someone saying "The nCore amps are proof that something that measures well can sound like garbage" and someone saying "I didn't care for the sound of the nCore amps... my old Audiosource amp sounds much better".

It's totally reasonable (and accurate) to dispute both on performance measurements... however, unless you have proof of deception - the second statement is unimpeachable. It's not providing advice, it's not claiming absolutes - it's just one person's opinion.
Unimpeachable? Ah, but an opinion put forth with zero evidence to support it,, did he do DBT to ensure his opinion is based in fact, or simply cause his exwife bought him the amp for a anniversary present in 06? Does the amp exhibit some abnormality in it's measurement?

There are some around here that will jump all over anyone that says that the KEF LS50 doesn't sound very good or that the LSR305's have really bad hiss... but yet I agree with those opinions. Doesn't mean I think the LS50 isn't a very well made and well measuring speaker... it's just not for me (though I love my 305's, they are pretty noisy nearfield).
Now you have a good point since we know that speakers all have their individual sound and if 305s have a hiss, how bad it bothers each user is an individual thing.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Does that come with a waterproof mattress pad? I hear it's an important feature...
Optional -you really should explore those profoundly. It is just wonderful how many options and extras are available. I would like to get SNR measurements of motors (hiss, distortion?), leveling and tilt angle ranges, wheels&bearings etc. sort of basic stuff. With standardized, valid and reliable measurements we could assess benchmarking!

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Optional -you really should explore those profoundly. It is just wonderful how many options and extras are available. I would like to get SNR measurements of motors (hiss, distortion?), leveling and tilt angle ranges, wheels&bearings etc. sort of basic stuff. With standardized, valid and reliable measurements we could assess benchmarking!

Ok. Just as long as nobody is benchmarking my physique. Gravity is no man's friend.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
locally roasted beans
Hah! Grim...my coffee is not only locally roasted, but locally grown!

I was introduced to coffee as a teenager by parents who drank canned, ground robusta coffee brewed in a percolator (e.g., boiled coffee) that was undrinkable without milk and sugar. By the time I was thirty, five years after I finished my 5-year stint in the U.S. Navy, and living near Berkeley, California, I had learned to appreciate espresso and latte's. In 1974, I transferred from finishing up lower division studies to U.C. Berkeley to finish my undergraduate studies and earn a B.S. degree. On my way to the Berkeley campus every morning, I stopped at the original Peet's Coffee location just north of campus for a good cup of coffee.

And now, after moving as a retiree in 2012 from wine country (Sonoma County, California) to coffee country (Boquete, Panama), I live in the heart of the region that grows the best coffee in the world. Top award-winning Boquete area Geisha coffee sells for over $900/pound after the annual international competition. Locally, some of the good Geisha sells for $45/pound.

Since that local luxury coffee is out of my price range, I usually brew medium roast Palmira Gold arabica coffee - $10/lb from Finca Armonia - in an Aeropress. Finca Armonia is at 4,200' (1,280m) elevation - about 1,000 feet above me and two miles (3.2km) away. The owner and his wife are from Seattle - a mecca of coffee roasting and drinking - and are friends. Lloyd and Sandra roast their own coffee on Mondays and she sells it at the local Tuesday Morning Market on the river in downtown Boquete where I have been selling arts and crafts for over seven years.

I also bring a little stereo to the market - a Cayin N3 DAP, Trends Tripath T-amp, a pair of excellent (and very limited bass) NSA-325 Yamaha mini monitors, and a little 12-volt SLA battery. I play Caribbean, Latin and world reggae, and have vendors, locals and visitors from around the world dancing in the aisles or tapping their toes while I sip a cup of excellent Boquete coffee and enjoy my life in this multicultural tourist mecca. I can't play it too loud, however, because we vendors are there to sell our products - arts, crafts, plus fresh organic of hydroponic produce, local coffee and aven German-style artisan cheeses, Jewish bakery goods and prepared foods.

¡La vida es Buena!

[Please excuse yet another off-topic excursion by me, but this is a weird thread, and personal posts contribute to being able to cultivate friends from around the world on this wonderful thing we call the internet. To me it like having off-topic conversations at an audio show.]

Palmira Gold.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Kopi Luwak or gtfo.

LOL. I keep force feeding raw coffee beans to the neighbor's cat but I can't get through the cat flap for the "harvest".

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

I was introduced to coffee as a teenager by parents who drank canned, ground robusta coffee brewed in a percolator (e.g., boiled coffee) that was undrinkable without milk and sugar. By the time I was thirty, five years after I finished my 5-year stint in the U.S. Navy, and living near Berkeley, California, I had learned to appreciate espresso and latte's. In 1974, I transferred from finishing up lower division studies to U.C. Berkeley to finish my undergraduate studies and earn a B.S. degree. On my way to the Berkeley campus every morning, I stopped at the original Peet's Coffee location just north of campus for a good cup of coffee.

And now, after moving as a retiree in 2012 from wine country (Sonoma County, California) to coffee country (Boquete, Panama), I live in the heart of the region that grows the best coffee in the world. Top award-winning Boquete area Geisha coffee sells for over $900/pound after the annual international competition. Locally, some of the good Geisha sells for $45/pound.

Since that local luxury coffee is out of my price range, I usually brew medium roast Palmira Gold arabica coffee - $10/lb from Finca Armonia - in an Aeropress. Finca Armonia is at 4,200' (1,280m) elevation - about 1,000 feet above me and two miles (3.2km) away. The owner and his wife are from Seattle - a mecca of coffee roasting and drinking - and are friends. Lloyd and Sandra roast their own coffee on Mondays and she sells it at the local Tuesday Morning Market on the river in downtown Boquete where I have been selling arts and crafts for over seven years.

I also bring a little stereo to the market - a Cayin N3 DAP, Trends Tripath T-amp, a pair of excellent (and very limited bass) NSA-325 Yamaha mini monitors, and a little 12-volt SLA battery. I play Caribbean, Latin and world reggae, and have vendors, locals and visitors from around the world dancing in the aisles or tapping their toes while I sip a cup of excellent Boquete coffee and enjoy my life in this multicultural tourist mecca. I can't play it too loud, however, because we vendors are there to sell our products - arts, crafts, plus fresh organic of hydroponic produce, local coffee and aven German-style artisan cheeses, Jewish bakery goods and prepared foods.

¡La vida es Buena!

[Please excuse yet another off-topic excursion by me, but this is a weird thread, and personal posts contribute to being able to cultivate friends from around the world on this wonderful thing we call the internet. To me it like having off-topic conversations at an audio show.]

View attachment 36545

At $900, I hope it contains all of the nutrients and calories my family needs for a month. I'm sure your local beans, at whatever price you pay, beats anything I can get further north. Enjoy!

My lovely wife impressed upon me the importance of the grind. Apparently, a good grind can make average priced bag of coffee taste really good. Damn it, she was right... to the tune of about $1k.

If I asked, she'd say the same thing about aligning my speakers so I wouldn't have to buy new ones.

Sometimes wisdom works for you. Other times against.

Life can be a grind!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I can't compete with the locally grown, but it doesn't get more local than Roasting on my kitchen counter. Just finished a batch of Tanzanian Peaberry...still dialing in the exact right roast, but I'm close.

Got into roasting about 20 years ago. Started with the air bed/popcorn popper variant, which I couldn't get decent results from, and moved to this one shortly after.

Love it. Green coffee in bulk lasts a long time, and is a lot cheaper, even with delivery.

Anyway...coffee is an integral part of every day.
15715973763048888838014299809183.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom