• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 124 40.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.1%

• Total voters

Bernardo_G

Do not confuse gain with power output. The Mission M778X has 31 dB gain, the Audiophonics has 25.6 dB gain. This means if you feed each the same input, the Mission will be louder. However, the Audiophonics is capable of higher output levels if fed more input voltage.

For example, let's look at feeding each amp 0.54 V which is the input sensitivity of the Mission.

Mission - 0.54 V input
Voltage Out = 0.54 x 10^(31 / 20) = 19.2 V
Power into 8 ohm = 19.2^2 / 8 = 46 W

Audiophonics - 0.54 V input
Voltage Out = 0.54 x 10^(25.6 / 20) = 10.3 V
Power into 8 ohm = 13.2^2 / 8 = 13 W

If you feed the Mission more than 0.54 V it will clip and not produce any more power, however if you feed the Audiophonics more than 0.54 V it will keep producing more power until you reach the input sensitivity of 1.66 V.

For example, at 1.01 V input, the Audiophonics will produce 46 W in to 8 ohm just like the Mission with 0.54 V input.

Audiophonics - 1.01 v input
Voltage Out = 1.01 x 10^(25.6 / 20) = 19.2 V
Power into 8 ohm = 19.2^2 / 8 = 46 W

To get 125 W into 8 ohm out of the Audiophonics you need to feed it 1.66 V.

Audiophonics = 1.66 V input
Voltage Out = 1.66 x 10^(25.6 / 20) = 31.6 V
Power into 8 ohm = 31.6^2 / 8 = 125 W

In case it isn't clear, to increase the input voltage to the amplifier you need to turn the volume on your preamp up.

Also, what are you feeding the preamp with? It looks like it only attenuates and does not provide any gain, so if you have a low voltage source in to the preamp you might not be able to get the full power out of the Audiophonics.

Michael
Michael, I still have a few questions; sorry but I'm trying to learn and see what would be the best options to make my gear work as expected.

Answering your question, it seems that my active preamp does not add any gain, it only attenuates. Given that, my questions are?

a) If I add an Eq between the preamp and power amp to bump up gain, is it an ok solution? Maybe one of those Loki equalizers from Schiit. If there's a better alternative, please let me know.
b) Is there a way to improve or increase input voltage fed into the power amp?
c) How did you calculate the Audiophonics power amp gain?
d) How to calculate input sensitivity? Is there a way to change it or improve it?

Thanks!

rolfrander

Forum Donor
Michael, I still have a few questions; sorry but I'm trying to learn and see what would be the best options to make my gear work as expected.

Answering your question, it seems that my active preamp does not add any gain, it only attenuates. Given that, my questions are?

a) If I add an Eq between the preamp and power amp to bump up gain, is it an ok solution? Maybe one of those Loki equalizers from Schiit. If there's a better alternative, please let me know.

Probably, but you don't need to. If your volume is at 50%, you still have 50% to go.

b) Is there a way to improve or increase input voltage fed into the power amp?

Yes, but you might not need to.

c) How did you calculate the Audiophonics power amp gain?

It is shown in the measurements in the first post of this thread.

d) How to calculate input sensitivity? Is there a way to change it or improve it?

Input sensitivity is the input voltage that will drive the amp to max power. For the Mission, this is 0,54V (calculations shown already). As you have experienced, for the same input of 0,54V, the Mission produces more power than the Audiophonics. However, if you turn the volume knob more, the Mission will not produce more power, it will just produce more distortion. But the Audiophonics can handle up to 1.66V before distorting.

The input sensitivity is a result of the gain and the max power. Having more gain means less input sensitivity for the same power output.

Bernardo_G

Probably, but you don't need to. If your volume is at 50%, you still have 50% to go.

That's the thing... today I tested my system at 100% volume (kids at school, wife away at the office LOL) and sure it was loud but I feel it needs a bit more of grunt, really.

My emotional brain (GAS) says that I might need to upgrade my power amp but my wallet says "oh no, here we come again!!!" LOL

rolfrander

Forum Donor
That's the thing... today I tested my system at 100% volume (kids at school, wife away at the office LOL) and sure it was loud but I feel it needs a bit more of grunt, really.

My emotional brain (GAS) says that I might need to upgrade my power amp but my wallet says "oh no, here we come again!!!" LOL
what is your source, what is feeding your preamp?

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A Schiit Modi DAC for laptop streaming and CD and a Vincent Audio PHO-300 for my Pro-Ject turntable
Strange. The Schiit Modi is specified with 2Vrms on the output - this will already overload the power amp. Are your sources (Laptop) on 90-100% volume?
What's your preamp again? When you pull it up 100% it should overdrive your power amp even when it's just a passive preamp ... this should be VERY loud.

soundaholic

I am currently looking for an amp to drive my LS50 Metas (having a KC62 sub for them, too). Would the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC be sufficient or is this eventually even too much?
In fact, for flexibility and optical reasons, I'd prefer the AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S250NC, which as I see should be the same just with XLR and RCA out. Or would anybody expect a measurable difference to the MPA-250NC?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently looking for an amp to drive my LS50 Metas (having a KC62 sub for them, too). Would the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC be sufficient or is this eventually even too much?
You can kill the LS50 with the power of the NC256MP module. But that is true for many, if not most other power amps as well. You will have to learn to not set your volume to 100% ;-)

In fact, for flexibility and optical reasons, I'd prefer the AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S250NC, which as I see should be the same just with XLR and RCA out. Or would anybody expect a measurable difference to the MPA-250NC?
I would expect them to measure the same, maybe with tiny variations due to cable layout and such. Nothing anyone would be able to notice.

Top Bottom