• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Pretty industrial looking! And certainly fit for on-the-read application as intended.

Alas, seeing that the specs stop at 24/96, it is using old DAC chips. As such, I don't think it will be desirable at such high cost ($220).

bhigh

I don't really understand the purpose of these overpowered AMPs. I can make my Monoprice M1060 uncomfortable loud on the low-gain setting at half volume. And I have no issue driving the AKG K7xx either.
Something something transients? Also bragging rights.

D

Deleted member 1514

I just got one of these delivered today(On Sunday somehow), the Sabaj D4 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sab...r-Mini-DAC-AMP-for-PC-Mac-or/32824363211.html It's also available on Amazon. The aliexpress link has a decent board picture.

Dual AK4452, XMOS USB, linear power supply, headphone amp, OLED display, adjustable filters, Bluetooth with Apt-x, touch menu, remote control(but no volume knob...). The RCA amps function as pre-amp outs and you can switch between the HP port and rear outs with a button press.

Veri

Master Contributor
OK, I will proceed to order it. I hope you guys spread the word on it when the review comes out. :) I could have bought 10 USB thumb drives for the same price! :D
Can't wait to see performance of the newest Sabre PRO! Awesome that your ordered it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can't wait to see performance of the newest Sabre PRO! Awesome that your ordered it.
My pleasure. They shipped it via swiss post and it is taking a european vacation right now before being shipped to US! :)

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't really understand the purpose of these overpowered AMPs. I can make my Monoprice M1060 uncomfortable loud on the low-gain setting at half volume. And I have no issue driving the AKG K7xx either.
I don't know for headphones users, but I ordered this amp to drive a pair of 16 ohms compression drivers, and I know I am not the only one doing this :D
In this context 6W is just enough ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
My pleasure. They shipped it via swiss post and it is taking a european vacation right now before being shipped to US! :)
Sounds interesting for shipping to EU if I end up buying it :) I want it to measure at least as good as the D50, otherwise I'll just get the Topping.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sssn

Amirm, could you measure the Tascam US-2x2 audio interface? I'm debating whether or not to get it for its balanced outputs to feed my Arcam rHead headphone amp :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, could you measure the Tascam US-2x2 audio interface?
I don't have one to measure. Looking at the specs, it stops at 96 kHz which indicates use of older DACs/design. So I don't know if it is worth buying.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here's the bare completed board assembly for that Breeze Audio/Nobsound/et al DAC. Perhaps those skilled in the art can comment on any obvious design flaws?

https://www.amazon.com/Assembled-SA9023-ES9018K2M-audio-24-bit/dp/B07BFPL6S9/

51tn7ypXYoL.jpg
51x43qeNEDL.jpg

duo8

I have that one. Bought it for $11. It came with a cap installed wrong and blew 30s after plugging it in.
There were other caps installed that didn't match the label.
I think its OI is rather high, though I never did a proper measurement.

To me it sounds perfectly fine, HP output is hiss-free.
It has volume control but it's done by the USB receiver chip.

Last edited:

RTI

Top Bottom