• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A10 Active Speakers

fineMen

Major Contributor
I've just found one. Ignore list should work fine for both of us. ;)

Not quite. I'm not into ignoring things. All the conflict refers to my post #29

I don't feel to have broken the rules of reasonable dispute, not even by 'high brow' academic standards.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
am afraid it won't be less then 3000€ though.
These are available for pre-order (with a "discount" as such):
From 3600€ (3800€) to 3750€ (3950€), depending on finishes. So not that much pricier than A500 after all. Still expensive for sure.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would really like to see it measured by Amir. The Neumann KH 150 has delivered and looks like a bargain in comparison..... But admittedly the wood finish looks a lot better in a living room. At least for me.

fineMen

Major Contributor
These are available for pre-order (with a "discount" as such):
From 3600€ (3800€) to 3750€ (3950€), depending on finishes. So not that much pricier than A500 after all. Still expensive for sure.
Confirmed, better get a 3-way (coax) Genelec.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Confirmed, better get a 3-way (coax) Genelec.
Yes, better get an apple than an orange !

I liked what I heard from Gen, yet I would rather die than having these in my living room. :D Outside raw performance (Yes, pro speakers win, no shit !), I don't see the point of the comparison... nor how that 8831s (the closest to A10's price point) would be anywhere suitable for mid/farfield listening in a domestic environment.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I liked what I heard from Gen, yet I would rather die than having these in my living room. :D
So that might be the clue to understand why you prefer the Bs over the Genelecs. Body design is your thing. O/k, the Bs are significant in this respect. They even switched the position of bass/tweet as to not give up their trade mark. :oops:

For me, as a manly thinking man, form follows function. The function is where the beauty is. But beauty is in the eye of ... . My perspective is focused on function, some other perspective might be unaware of, or mislead in regard to function.

ChrisHeinonen

For me, as a manly thinking man, form follows function
Isn't it possible to have a discussion about speakers without implying that only a person that doesn't think would want a different speaker? I'd happily have a Genelec or Neumann on my desk at work or home for listening to music, but the Buchardt would 100% be my choice for a living room not just because of looks, but because it is easier to use and has features like Automatic ISO 226:2003 Compensation that I'd want in that environment.

fineMen

Major Contributor
... Automatic ISO 226:2003 Compensation that I'd want in that environment.
More power to you! I don't need automation, though, especially with ISO 226:2003. I'm not an engineer.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
It certainly looked good and if the spin and especially directivity is good, it would be tempting for me to recommend to others, yes maybe the ended up performance will be at 8040 or KH150 level but costing more, but the look itself certainly weight some. Main thing is solid wood don’t compromise longevity, and that objectively it performs, not some sub par directivity mismatch but costing an arm

samysound

These look nice. I wonder how much eq is required to extend the low end response with the sealed box design and what kind of output limitation that results in

Chesterbrook

"Purifi - Offering the world's best performing woofer, in a speaker in this price range."

Will be interesting to see the price compared to the almost 5000€ A500 Signature Edition with also a Purifi woofer, am afraid it won't be less then 3000€ though.
Note that the A500 SEs have two Purifi drivers, one in the front and one in the back. I am a proud owner although had I known about the A10s coming out I probably would have waited.

Chesterbrook

The longevity seems to be questionable with solid wood cabinets, especially for us who lives in areas with a lot of temperature and humidity changes over the year.

There are a lot of changes to my wooden neck guitars over the year, I often hear creaks and cracks from them when they have stayed untuned for a while.
You may be right but Buchardt addresses this concern on the A10 page of their website. They note that the wood is carefully dried to make sure it is robust in all types of climate conditions.
OK. I'm also wondering what is the need for this argument exactly? o_O

It's OK. You don't like Buchardt, which is pretty clear regarding any comments you made about their products. And this, by deliberately ignoring objective performance of some of their speakers, as I guess that you never actually listened to anything from them. Maybe someday you will give an audition at A500SE, A500 or A700 and realize how wrong you are. Anyway...

Something is weird here. Mads Buchardt says that the amp is a new one (presumably FDA, which I honestly don't see the point for), while we are still dealing with the Platin backplate module:
View attachment 287877
Did Platin released a new model since? I will ask him directly. As I will about the "upgraded" tweeter compatibility for the existing line.
Seems like a very nice product. I too own a pair of the A500 SEs. Good speakers. With respect to the A10s I am curious about how these two things impact the sound: 1) the new tweeter, and 2) the powerdac amplification.

And I will a third: the lack of a back firing driver.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I will a third: the lack of a back firing driver.
These would have been called "A500 Mk2" if they shared the exact same architecture. But these are "A10" and as such, a different product ! ;)

As an alternative to the Buchardts, you can checks also the Econik speakers (https://econik-speakers.com).
Thanks. I've never heard about these.;)

They are based on the Buchardts (same electronic, but with a more stable case)
How are these "more stable" ?
I'm testing yet the Four, which impresses me really.
Any measurements ?

Reactions: ENG

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As an alternative to the Buchardts, you can checks also the Econik speakers (https://econik-speakers.com).
They are based on the Buchardts (same electronic, but with a more stable case) and I'm testing yet the Four, which impresses me really.
I discovered this site too. No Waveguide for the tweeter and no measurements available. The price is up to the Buchardts but a little bit steep when compared to the 2-way speakers of Neumann, Genelec, Focal etc....

I really hope for third party measurements though....

Top Bottom