• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 158 45.3%

• Total voters

Deckard01

Sorry for delay , just saw this.
Mojo2 does work with mobile phones, obviously .
I just don't understand the second part of your question. Do you mean, can it act as a dongle, to run on phone battery? if that's what you mean, then NO.
Mojo2 has a second usb port for charging, so it is physically impossible.
I think dongle like DACs, such as BTR5 or 7 can do that, but not Mojo.
Phone usb power is very limited.
Thanks for the response Ken. As I see so it may need a power bank after 4 hours of continues listening.

Vasile 76

I bought chord mojo 2. I am happy with the sound. 1- The buttons (balls) move - they rattle, that is, they make noise if you move the device. Someone who has a mojo 1 says that the buttons are fixed. 2- laptop output vs phone output. Played from the phone sounds faintly bad. Suitable dark blue colors for both balls. Thank you.

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought chord mojo 2. I am happy with the sound. 1- The buttons (balls) move - they rattle, that is, they make noise if you move the device. Someone who has a mojo 1 says that the buttons are fixed. 2- laptop output vs phone output. Played from the phone sounds faintly bad. Suitable dark blue colors for both balls. Thank you.
So if I'm reading this right, you're having problem with your dark blue balls. They rattle when you move them?
Hate it when my suitably blue balls rattle :D :D

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ignore him, he is yanking your chain! :)
Back to your post, yeah . . . it is like a box of matches, it rattles a little when you shake it, I like that though!
Regarding the phone sounding a little worse, assuming you are not imagining it, it could be your player on the phone.
I strongly suggest you use Neutron media player (if you are savvy with complex controls) or use UAPP (Usb Audio Player Pro). By default, they figure out how to connect to your Mojo, bypassing the OS on your phone.
On a PC or Mac, I suggest Jriver.
Otherwise, there is no scientific reason why the two should sound different, while using headphones.
If you use it as a desktop DAC, connected to an amplifier, then there is a situation, in which PC can sound slightly worse!

zululu

Is this thing the best option for desktop use if it costs 500€ new? Or is something like TOPPING DX5 a better pick? I do not care about the portability.

Soria Moria

Is this thing the best option for desktop use if it costs 500€ new? Or is something like TOPPING DX5 a better pick? I do not care about the portability.
I would pick the topping just for the usability over the Mojo.

bitonio

@zululu it would highly depend on your headphones (how hungry they are) and ergonomic:

- cable running left and right (mojo) vs. back and front (desktop DAC/amp)
- volume control with button (mojo) vs. knob

I use the Mojo in desktop mode but coupled with a headphone amp (nothing fancy, I use the Atom+ HEVI), and the volume control with a knob, it is so much better for me, I don't like the Mojo volume control. I use the Mojo on the go from time to time, and very happy to keep the sound signature with me everywhere.

Given what you shared, I'd recommend a desktop form factor, unless you crave the Chord house sound and have a plan to "upgrade" with an amp, etc... I found the Topping (I have two of them, in a drawer) very dynamic and clean, but also very, very neutral, leaning to soul-less. You might consider some other options like Schiit, JDS Lab, etc...

Attachments

• IMG_0469 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0469 (1).jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 38

zululu

@zululu it would highly depend on your headphones (how hungry they are) and ergonomic:

Given what you shared, I'd recommend a desktop form factor, unless you crave the Chord house sound and have a plan to "upgrade" with an amp, etc... I found the Topping (I have two of them, in a drawer) very dynamic and clean, but also very, very neutral, leaning to soul-less. You might consider some other options like Schiit, JDS Lab, etc...

I have HD650s paired with an old Topping MX3. I had Shiit Modi 2 with Magni for a while, and I liked that sound a little more. Topping is, as you have said, kind of soulless. That is why I prefer to try Mojo 2 - but I would like opinions from people with more experience.

zululu

There is no house sound for the Mojo 2. It's an excellent (transparent) device. Same as the Toppings, that are being called soulless here.
I do not know how to call it - the Schiit combo sounded more ... fun? Engaging?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Switching between them, listening to the same songs.
If it sounded more fun, and you liked it, then get one, use one, have fun.
At ASR, the aim is to explore the science behind audio equipments. Fun is not even included.
You don't have to convince anyone, just get something that gives you joy.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
If it sounded more fun, and you liked it, then get one, use one, have fun.
At ASR, the aim is to explore the science behind audio equipments. Fun is not even included.
You don't have to convince anyone, just get something that gives you joy.

Exactly. If one says “I choose A over B, it was sighted and with no volume matching, and I found it more fun, and I put my money there” at most we say “it is a misguided criterion” but we also say “go ahead”. It is when one says “ A is better”, “it killed B” or something like that that we - while in ASR - have issues.

However fun IS included.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. If one says “I choose A over B, it was sighted and with no volume matching, and I found it more fun, and I put my money there” at most we say “it is a misguided criterion” but we also say “go ahead”. It is when one says “ A is better”, “it killed B” or something like that that we - while in ASR - have issues.

However fun IS included.
Well I have no issues with anybody's subjective comments, no matter how extreme. Live & let live.
My issue, starts when some insist on their own facts (beliefs).
That applies both ways! Those who insist they can hear something, and those who insist it is all in his head.
The notion of blind test should be mentioned, but to go as far as, "Yeh we know, you are special! :facepalm:" or your subjective views are not welcome or worthless, is just as bad as those who stamp their feet that they can hear 0.001% distortion.
We can and should discuss the science of it. But if someone is not having it . . .

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I have no issues with anybody's subjective comments, no matter how extreme. Live & let live.
My issue, starts when some insist on their own facts (beliefs).
That applies both ways! Those who insist they can hear something, and those who insist it is all in his head.
The notion of blind test should be mentioned, but to go as far as, "Yeh we know, you are special! :facepalm:" or your subjective views are not welcome or worthless, is just as bad as those who stamp their feet that they can hear 0.001% distortion.
We can and should discuss the science of it. But if someone is not having it . . .
When people start going on about differences between good measuring DACS then generally they should be called out on it, because it's hard to believe they sound different. ASR is to enlighten people not to fortify & support imaginary differences.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not a 100% objectivist when it comes to audio, as I know I very much like the sound of some tube amplifiers, thus I must admit I like either certain forms of distortion or 2nd or 3rd harmonics.

But my point is that I don't engage in non-measurable or subjective questioning or debate on ASR, as it is not the proper Forum for such activity. The philosophy of debate here is based on a component's measured performance data and its features set. Thus a DAC either meets a certain threshold of acceptable performance or it does not. Objectivism is the ground rule of ASR, and I am happy to stick to that philosophy in this arena.

Both the Mojo2 and most Topping DACs will be perceived by ASR members and posters as "transparent." So from a standpoint of sound alone, you will be fine with either one of these DACs.

Feature set is a different thing, and the Mojo2, unless you want portability, has some potential drawbacks. It has no balanced output, does not have a remote, is very polarizing in its aesthetics, and has a rather arcane colored ball system of operation.

If you believe you can hear a difference in DACs, then go listen to the Mojo2 at a local dealer and see what you think. Or listen to several quality DACs vs. the Mojo2 and see if you notice any difference in sound. And put on a blindfold when you do it. Chances are you will not hear a difference, only think you may.

You do not have that local dealer capability with a Topping. So on that you buy on specs and faith.

If you buy either from a U.S. retailer or on-line dealer you will likely have a 30-day return or exchange policy.

I would suggest the greatest variable in your system in terms of sound and distortion will be your speakers or headphones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a 100% objectivist when it comes to audio, as I know I very much like the sound of some tube amplifiers, thus I must admit I like either certain forms of distortion or 2nd or 3rd harmonics.

But my point is that I don't engage in non-measurable or subjective questioning or debate on ASR, as it is not the proper Forum for such activity. The philosophy of debate here is based on a component's measured performance data and its features set. Thus a DAC either meets a certain threshold of acceptable performance or it does not. Objectivism is the ground rule of ASR, and I am happy to stick to that philosophy in this arena.

Both the Mojo2 and most Topping DACs will be perceived by ASR members and posters as "transparent." So from a standpoint of sound alone, you will be fine with either one of these DACs.

Feature set is a different thing, and the Mojo2, unless you want portability, has some potential drawbacks. It has no balanced output, does not have a remote, is very polarizing in its aesthetics, and has a rather arcane colored ball system of operation.

If you believe you can hear a difference in DACs, then go listen to the Mojo2 at a local dealer and see what you think. Or listen to several quality DACs vs. the Mojo2 and see if you notice any difference in sound. And put on a blindfold when you do it. Chances are you will not hear a difference, only think you may.

You do not have that local dealer capability with a Topping. So on that you buy on specs and faith.

If you buy either from a U.S. retailer or on-line dealer you will likely have a 30-day return or exchange policy.

I would suggest the greatest variable in your system in terms of sound and distortion will be your speakers or headphones.
ASR is not totally free of subjectivism though, and neither should it be - when you're talking about speakers & headphones then there's some room for subjectivism in there even though there's a lot science surrounding those measured aspects, but for DACS it's pretty much a done deal as they're a lot simpler devices, so arguing subjective differences in good measuring DACS there is virtually no logical headroom for that, but there is more room to argue on subjective terms when it comes to speakers & headphones.

Top Bottom