• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not with this one. I have to do that outside and can't catch a break in the weather to do it for long enough because those tests sometimes take hours.

Fair enough. I was a bit surprised by the distortion at 96dB so I was wondering how they'd stand up. But it sounds like in-room they get more than plenty loud so it's sort of academic.

And not to turn this into another graph vs graph thread, but I think your distortion plots are great and it isn't really THAT hard to compare them to Amir's :p

BenB

Is there a version of this speaker without the integrated subwoofers? I'd say it's rare that optimal subwoofer placement coincides with optimal speaker placement in a room.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Is CTA-2034 really at 106dB/1m?

This is an active speaker. The voltage is scaled. So, at 2.83v input to this speaker, yes, the output is *theoretically* 106dB/1m. But I measured it at 0.30v.

I do have a template to change this but didn't. But I'll add a note in the review to clear up any confusion.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a version of this speaker without the integrated subwoofers? I'd say it's rare that optimal subwoofer placement coincides with optimal speaker placement in a room.
Not that I know of.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the excellent review. From the data you have collected, are you able to prescribe an integration distance for this speaker?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review's missing one thing: any mention of the price! I *think* they may be $12500 for the pair
That's what I've seen them listed for. I've seen them on Reverb with "make offer" so you could get them a little less at least you used to they get popular and that might end.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Thanks for the excellent review. From the data you have collected, are you able to prescribe an integration distance for this speaker?

There are various settings in the software wrt front wall distance. Here's a screenshot of the DSP:

1614977631173.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is not the distortion data a bit dissapointing?
Agreed, I also thought it is somewhat high compared to all superlatives of the speaker.

Are these comparable? I know -40 dB is 1%.

Dutch & Dutch 8C

Dutch%20%26%20Dutch%208c%20----%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%28relative%29%20%40%2086dB1m.png

Dutch%20%26%20Dutch%208c%20----%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%28relative%29%20%40%2096dB1m.png

Genelec 8050B

index.php

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They have a ‘sub’ out, easy to add either constructively or destructively if you choose.
Keith

MrPeabody

It appears that distortion is somewhat higher than might be desired or expected in upper bass and even throughout most of the midrange. At 96 dB it doesn't go completely through the roof like it does with a lot of speakers, but it teeters around 1% from 300 Hz up through 1 kHz, and reaches 10% at 100 Hz. I will speculate that this is a consequence of the cardioid design philosophy. The cardioid pattern is achieved via phase cancellation between the wave exiting the side opening and the wave directly from the woofer in front. This cancellation effect increases as the wavelength grows longer, and apparently ceases where the passive radiators take control. If this were done with a purely passive speaker, we would see a steady decline in response as frequency goes lower, with diminished bass. To compensate, they have no doubt used equalization to flatten the response. This lunch isn't free: there is surely a very significant increase in driver excursion. It should be apparent, just from watching the driver, that at frequency in the neighborhood of 200 Hz and at moderately high volume, the woofer excursion is greater than what would normally be expected at that combination of frequency and volume. Without question, the moderately high distortion is the price that was paid in order to achieve the cardioid pattern. Whether the cardioid pattern is of significant benefit likely depends on the room placement. It isn't a question that can be answered without spending a lot of time listening to the speaker, ideally experimenting with different room placements and even different rooms. And as long as you don't turn it up really loud, you likely won't hear the distortion.

spacevector

Forum Donor
There are various settings in the software wrt front wall distance. Here's a screenshot of the DSP:
I meant more the minimum distance from the speaker for proper driver integration.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1614977894876.png

mjwin

I know that this has been a long time in the pipeline but thanks Erin for taking the time to get it right & also for a truly excellent review. I think your graphs are spot on, they show everything we need to know & the concise written summary rounds it off nicely. As you say, the video is there to give a more "homely" approach for those who want this.

As for the 8C, it's always good to see manufacturer's claims confirmed in independent tests. Having seen many supposed cardioid microphones exhibit a truly awful off axis response, I wasn't convinced that cardioid speakers would be any better. But your measurements here seem to suggest that, finally, we have a loudspeaker which can be placed close against a wall with the attendant LF gain without introducing a whole range of problems further up the frequency spectrum. They're not cheap but would certainly be on my shortlist if I were in the market for such a thing . Being small, unobtrusive &, placed against the wall, they're conducive to domestic harmony, too:)

Top Bottom