• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO K7

thisiscrs

Nice headphones! Sensitivity over 102. Should be plenty of power. Those work with the small 3.5mm plug? Adapter? If your unhappy buy from a place with returns/exchange of course.
Yes it works. They have a 3.5mm plug with a adapter for 6.35mm. Such a hard decision. Like the design of the DX5, but its far too expensive compared to the DX3 Pro+.

There is also no problem when switching between speakers and headphones? Or is in this situation the E50/L50 stack better?

Boltman92124

Yes it works. They have a 3.5mm plug with a adapter for 6.35mm. Such a hard decision. Like the design of the DX5, but its far too expensive compared to the DX3 Pro+.

There is also no problem when switching between speakers and headphones? Or is in this situation the E50/L50 stack better?
You switch modes by either pressing the volume/mode knob on the unit or just pressing the headphone button on the remote. So you can leave the headphones plugged in if you want. Want line out? Button on the remote as well.

Boltman92124

So I thought of one advantage to using the stack. Do you want to add one of the analog EQs for your headphones? Schiit Loki, JDS Labs Subjective3 etc..? The stack will be better for that. It would go between the E50 and L50. Or any other stack like Schiit, JDS Labs as well.

pagan84

Are K7 equalising analog input or only digital one?
Switch LO, PRE, PO three output modes
LO: rear panel line-out, fixed volume
PRE : rear panel line-out, adjustable volume
PO: front panel headphone out, adjustable volume

[edit]
Aaaaah, sorry, the question was about the analog/digital IN, not OUT.

Boltman92124

Switch LO, PRE, PO three output modes
LO: rear panel line-out, fixed volume
PRE : rear panel line-out, adjustable volume
PO: front panel headphone out, adjustable volume

[edit]
Aaaaah, sorry, the question was about the analog/digital IN, not OUT.
The K7's main advantage over the DX3Pro+ is the analog line in. It can be used for headphone listening with a turntable/analog source. You can also use it in a tape/processor loop and add an EQ in the chain.

Phidel

Hello, I'm using my Sundara via balanced 4.4mm FiiO K7's output, with music the combo runs very well, the sound is rich, has a lot of detail, powerfull bass and excellent image.

The problem is when I use the combo for games, it has a poor image and I can't ubicate where the shoots are coming, with the Sundara + FiiO K5 the image is better than good and I always know where the action comes to me with a perfect sound positioning.

What I can do to improve it?

Last edited:

Blorg

Blorg

@Phidel do you have the K7 and the K5 Pro connected in the same way to your computer? Through USB? It's strange, they should be pretty much the same. I have the Sundara and it works just fine with it.

The only thing I can guess is that you might have some wiring issue, you aren't using the Sundara off the 4.4 on the K5 Pro so that's a difference.

If your 4.4 cable is wired out of phase, you could get imaging problems.

Try this polarity test here: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Phidel

@Phidel do you have the K7 and the K5 Pro connected in the same way to your computer? Through USB? It's strange, they should be pretty much the same. I have the Sundara and it works just fine with it.

The only thing I can guess is that you might have some wiring issue, you aren't using the Sundara off the 4.4 on the K5 Pro so that's a difference.

If your 4.4 cable is wired out of phase, you could get imaging problems.

Try this polarity test here: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

After trying your test it seems to be right but playing I don't think the same. I tried with the 6.35mm unbalanced output and the imaging is a bit poor than 4.4mm balanced output. But if I compare with the k5 pro there is a big difference, the k5 reproduces perfectly where the sound comes and what distance tis sound is. Playing CS:GO it is an important feature and the k5 does the work 10/10 but the k7 does the work 5/10 with 4.4mm and 3/10 with 6.35mm.

Phidel

One question... It is possible the more I use the K7 the better it sounds?

In terms of imaging I'm sure there is a huge improvement from first day I listened it.

Phidel

No. Not possible.

I don't doubt that you heard an improvement. But it's not physically there. Just your mind playing tricks on you.
Haha! Many thanks, nice to know it but in my mind there is a huge improvement, maybe she has been trained.

Ufasas

are there more k5 pro ess owners happy after getting k7, rather than unhappy / no difference?

Blorg

are there more k5 pro ess owners happy after getting k7, rather than unhappy / no difference?
It definitely has more power out of the balanced although this is only really evident with the likes of the HE6SEV2.

Almost all of my stuff is wired balanced so nice to be able to just plug the 4.4 stuff in without an adapter.

Volume knob is a mixed bag, the slow ramp up does give more fine-tuned control for very sensitive stuff and would be a huge boon for IEMs, although I don't tend to use IEMs with it as I have other stuff for them (Qudelix, dongles). The lag is annoying and the K5 Pro didn't have that.

The version with BT, that would have been nice and I sort of wish I'd waited longer until that one came out as I use it with BT anyway, just via a Qudelix. Would have been very neat just to have that function built in.

I do think it's better... swapping between any amp though, sound differences will be pretty marginal, what difference do you expect? You should not expect radical differences going from one reasonably competent solid state amp to another.

Ufasas

It definitely has more power out of the balanced although this is only really evident with the likes of the HE6SEV2.

Almost all of my stuff is wired balanced so nice to be able to just plug the 4.4 stuff in without an adapter.

Volume knob is a mixed bag, the slow ramp up does give more fine-tuned control for very sensitive stuff and would be a huge boon for IEMs, although I don't tend to use IEMs with it as I have other stuff for them (Qudelix, dongles). The lag is annoying and the K5 Pro didn't have that.

The version with BT, that would have been nice and I sort of wish I'd waited longer until that one came out as I use it with BT anyway, just via a Qudelix. Would have been very neat just to have that function built in.

I do think it's better... swapping between any amp though, sound differences will be pretty marginal, what difference do you expect? You should not expect radical differences going from one reasonably competent solid state amp to another.
Hd560s & Philips x3 seems to be wired in balanced way, and balanced cables working, i tried, would i benefit from Balanced Output of K7? Like more details, wider soundstage, cleaner? Could get k7 almost for price i paid for k5 pro, ugh!

Top Bottom