• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First REW measurement - Revel M126be

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you have pretty good bass below 100hrz so hard to say if you will even want it.
But since it is reasonably easy to make changes I'd play around with both degree of gain and Q factor.

View attachment 292339

This is a good start.
With a Q of 1.0 it will start comming in at 130hrz and then hit the full gain of 1.5db by 70hrz

Another good start would be 80hrz with the same gain and Q
View attachment 292341

I'd also try a gain of 2.5db which may or may not be to much as again you have nice in room bass for a 6"

I know amir does this all after cutting the peaks but I do it before and then cut the room peaks. Try both ways over time.

Instead of a regular shelf, you can also try this which includes a High Pass.
This is what I usually do myself.
This will keep the bass level @35-40 the same
Reduce cone excursions below 40hrz and create a gain of about 1.5db from 40hrz-80hrz that tapers off toward 120hrz.
You can try variations as well on both frequency and Q. Decreaing the Q reduces the post high pass gain and increasing Q will increase the post hp gain/boost/'shelving'
View attachment 292342

PS remeber to watch pre-amp clipping when making gains although these are small ones so not likley in need of any preamp reduction.
Thank you, all this is great to try. Yes these speakers have significant bass response., And I am finding there is a fine line in defeating the boom. With regards to my couch situation, another thing I was thinking is whether toe-ing in that right speaker, and the left to match would reduce some of the couch effect. I appreciate all of your time and thought... This has been an illuminating two days and I feel like it's been a month.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, all this is great to try. Yes these speakers have significant bass response., And I am finding there is a fine line in defeating the boom. With regards to my couch situation, another thing I was thinking is whether toe-ing in that right speaker, and the left to match would reduce some of the couch effect. I appreciate all of your time and thought... This has been an illuminating two days and I feel like it's been a month.
I appreciate everyone's time and thought have contributed to this thread. What an amazing community.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Crash course!

No toe will not really help. Those frequencies are basically 'omni directional' and rather large waves. Meaning they wrap around the speaker entirely and the waves are 3'-10' feet in size. If the couch was moved a few feet further away from the speaker that would help some of that range(the higher frequencies probability 200-350hrz).

Don't worry though. It is just a part of having a nice home to sprawl out in. Many homes have a similar furniture layout. I am sure you will get a really good sound.

Also remember some 'boom' is often in the recording so if you are not used to it it may be the track itself. I don't know your listening experience level but it took me quite a while to really understand the bass region and as well many artists will really drive some boom and kick and thumps down low so if you are into electronica and any hip-hop or drum and bass, getting the right balance is easier with tunes using real instruments like kick drums, piano and bass guitar to set the balance and then just trust the electronica is doing its thing. Some stuff is just crazy.

One thing about the M126be's that I subjectively found was how fricken detailed the bass region can be with these. Just really, really good. It may turn out that you also like a lighter bass or less lifted bass, some do so don't be afraid to end up with whatever you prefer reguardless of any advice.

Set your PEQ at the level you usually listen at and then maybe a back-up for loud listening as loud listening requires lower relative bass to seem equally neutral.

Also as mentioned earlier try setting the bass PEQ with both speakers playing at once. 20-150hrz or so. It took me a while to accept this just works better and sounds better. Bass is basically mono even if not recorded as such due to the sheer size of the frequency waves.

In any case don't rush IMHO this all is enough info to play around with for weeks or more if you want. Just pace it out and enjoy the experience. Definitely enjoy the tunes and other content and on Revel M126be's no less! I completely love mine.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crash course!

No toe will not really help. Those frequencies are basically 'omni directional' and rather large waves. Meaning they wrap around the speaker entirely and the waves are 3'-10' feet in size. If the couch was moved a few feet further away from the speaker that would help some of that range(the higher frequencies probability 200-350hrz).

Don't worry though. It is just a part of having a nice home to sprawl out in. Many homes have a similar furniture layout. I am sure you will get a really good sound.

Also remember some 'boom' is often in the recording so if you are not used to it it may be the track itself. I don't know your listening experience level but it took me quite a while to really understand the bass region and as well many artists will really drive some boom and kick and thumps down low so if you are into electronica and any hip-hop or drum and bass, getting the right balance is easier with tunes using real instruments like kick drums, piano and bass guitar to set the balance and then just trust the electronica is doing its thing. Some stuff is just crazy.

One thing about the M126be's that I subjectively found was how fricken detailed the bass region can be with these. Just really, really good. It may turn out that you also like a lighter bass or less lifted bass, some do so don't be afraid to end up with whatever you prefer reguardless of any advice.

Set your PEQ at the level you usually listen at and then maybe a back-up for loud listening as loud listening requires lower relative bass to seem equally neutral.

Also as mentioned earlier try setting the bass PEQ with both speakers playing at once. 20-150hrz or so. It took me a while to accept this just works better and sounds better. Bass is basically mono even if not recorded as such due to the sheer size of the frequency waves.

In any case don't rush IMHO this all is enough info to play around with for weeks or more if you want. Just pace it out and enjoy the experience. Definitely enjoy the tunes and other content and on Revel M126be's no less! I completely love mine.
Thanks man I love mine as well... I heard a difference in them the first time I heard them. I also agree that the bass response is really good. I have a second system which is a Denon x8500h with two big rhythmik subs and outboard amplification... But I really wanted to hear what the RME and m126be could do by themselves... And it can't dig down like the bigger system can... But I'm absolutely impressed with what it can do without subs and it does sound like higher fidelity, whatever that means.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any thoughts on this measurement of the crossover? It's what I'm looking for with a 100hz crossover, is it not?
REW 12.6.23.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom