• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First REW measurement - Revel M126be

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are so many videos but yes I started and need to pick that back up and watch it all I will do that immediately. I guess I stopped the video because he wants to put the measuring UMIK Right at the speaker not at the listening position am I right? That's not the way I've been measuring

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are so many videos but yes I started and need to pick that back up and watch it all I will do that immediately. I guess I stopped the video because he wants to put the measuring UMIK Right at the speaker not at the listening position am I right? That's not the way I've been measuring
Should I put the mic at the listening position or should I put the mic jammed up against the speaker?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Listening position.

If I were you though I'd park the measurements part for now, as you seem to have a fine first set of data to work with.

Move on to the EQ module instead. You said you already have a Harman house curve so why not try and match it, just to see what happens and how far you get? Krause shows in detail exactly that. It's perfect as a first procedure. Even if the results might not sound exactly to your liking.

The EQ module is very powerful and every checkbox, every dropdown and every input field matters. It is all not very difficult, but it does take time to fully master. This is 100% worth it though.

Note that the EQ window has a Capture button too, should you want to share and discuss here what you're doing.

Hope this helps and please report back. :)

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so I generated the EQ txt file using the Harman House Curve. The next step in the video is to use Equalizer APO, but I'm not running my system off of a laptop. I'm using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS which ostensibly has only 5 filters. So I'm guessing I pick the top 5 peaks under around 200 to knock down.

1686691367792.png

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the capture from the EQ window

Attachments

• Harman EQ Snapshot 6.13.23.jpg
    Harman EQ Snapshot 6.13.23.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 63
OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also did one with VAR Smoothing
Notes:Var smoothing 6.13.23

Equaliser: Generic
RMS Average 1
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 23.00 Hz Gain -1.60 dB Q 11.472
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 31.45 Hz Gain 0.60 dB Q 2.097
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 58.10 Hz Gain -1.70 dB Q 8.404
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 62.00 Hz Gain -3.90 dB Q 4.046
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 89.30 Hz Gain 6.00 dB Q 2.001
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 90.40 Hz Gain -9.20 dB Q 4.596
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 133.5 Hz Gain -4.10 dB Q 9.755
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 145.0 Hz Gain -2.70 dB Q 6.022
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 218.0 Hz Gain -4.50 dB Q 4.993
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 305.0 Hz Gain -5.00 dB Q 1.333
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 382.0 Hz Gain 6.00 dB Q 1.005
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 494.0 Hz Gain -12.70 dB Q 4.321
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 554.0 Hz Gain 6.00 dB Q 2.376
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 796.0 Hz Gain -7.60 dB Q 2.069
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 1857 Hz Gain -3.70 dB Q 1.226
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 5010 Hz Gain -2.40 dB Q 1.023
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 11886 Hz Gain -2.70 dB Q 1.257
Filter 18: ON None

Attachments

• Var Smoothing.jpg
    Var Smoothing.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 63

staticV3

Master Contributor
OK, so I generated the EQ txt file using the Harman House Curve. The next step in the video is to use Equalizer APO, but I'm not running my system off of a laptop. I'm using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS which ostensibly has only 5 filters. So I'm guessing I pick the top 5 peaks under around 200 to knock down.
You can set REW's EQ generator to only use five filter bands. You can also tell it to EQ only a certain frequency range.

Furthermore, the RME has seven bands. One Low shelf, five Peaking filters, one High shelf.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can set REW's EQ generator to only use five filter bands. You can also tell it to EQ only a certain frequency range.

Furthermore, the RME has seven bands. One Low shelf, five Peaking filters, one High shelf.
True on the bands... that was my use of obstensibly. ;-). The shelf might come in handy as this is what amir wrote to me but I don't understand how to put it into practice. "It is Ok as region of interest is < 200 Hz. And yes, you pull down the peaks until boominess goes away. Then lift the whole area up with a shelving filter to restore the amount of bass you had before. Create one filter at a time and make sure it is doing something useful (audibly).".

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is great information. I see where to choose the range. Can you tell me how to tell the EQ generator to only use five filters? Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can you tell me how to tell the EQ generator to only use five filters? Thank you!
Open the Equalizer window, click on EQ Filters, and disable bands until you're reached the desired number of bands.

Edit: or perhaps you have to set them to Manual instead of disabling them? Not sure

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Open the Equalizer window, click on EQ Filters, and disable bands until you're reached the desired number of bands.
Fascinating. So the EQ generator chooses the most impactful 5 filters? Do you understand what Amir was saying about adding a shelfing filter to restore the amount of bass you had before? Perhaps I could simply use the bass filter by ear at the end?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you understand what Amir was saying about adding a shelfing filter to restore the amount of bass you had before?
Sure. He recommends to EQ down the bass peaks, then shelf up the entire bass range to compensate. Certainly one way to do it (though not possible with REW's EQ Generator afaik).

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. He recommends to EQ down the bass peaks, then shelf up the entire bass range to compensate. Certainly one way to do it (though not possible with REW's EQ Generator afaik).
So can you help me understand that in practical terms? Let say I use the best five filters under 500... Then I should set up a bass filter to boost everything under 500?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I go five filters, this is what I get

Attachments

• 5 filters 6.13.23.jpg
    5 filters 6.13.23.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 68
OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
45 to 900 no smoothing, five filters...Man this can be sliced and diced so many ways...How to know what to do? What are the best practices?

Attachments

• 45 to 900 no smoothing.jpg
    45 to 900 no smoothing.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 49

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I go five filters, this is what I get
I haven’t used REW in a while, but is there not a way to raise the level of the house curve so that it’s in line with the very smooth response from 1KHz and up?

It looks like you are pulling down the bass peaks (which is generally the right approach) but now your sub- and mid-bass is below the level of everything else, which is not consistent with your house curve.

Have you listened to it with the adjustments in your RME? How does it sound to you?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I just listened to it and it sounds so much better but I know it's subjective even though I'm using empirical data to make adjustments... I'm no expert. I'm trying to figure all this out. It's not booming and tracks that I didn't think I could play with no subwoofer are playing really strong without a subwoofer. Tracks that have a lot of sub bass like Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.

Top Bottom