• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FLux capacitor in Hifi!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Those "flux capacitors" for cars are just basically just a giant capacitor to reduce voltage fluctuations. Power generated by the alternator is extremely noisy. Noise created by spark plugs make things worse..

So, what has it got to do with this forum??
It's just a variation on the theme of snake oil. Is it more common with snake oil in Hifi than for other products / areas? It was not harder than that.

If you missed the film, I think you should watch it. An 80s classic.:)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Old news. We can buy them here in Australia from Jaycar.

(yes, they have a sense of humour)

check out the datasheet download.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Old news. We can buy them here in Australia from Jaycar.

(yes, they have a sense of humour)

check out the datasheet download.
He he, when I think about it. It's more fun to talk about a Flux capacitors than about HiFi and snake oil. There are already several threads about HiFi +and snake oil.

Time McFly by. The film came out 37 years ago. Longer time than Marty travels in the film.

20220105_095716240.jpeg

.. Carpe diem

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Is it more common with snake oil in Hifi than for other products / areas?

People with no conscience have always been selling "free lunches" to the ignorant/gullible. Don't think there's many (any?) areas of consumer products that's been spared.

I think this is what OP is talking about. Its not needed for normal car audio systems.

One great thing supercapacitors has done for the world of cars: Jump starters have become a lot more handy and effective.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's just a variation on the theme of snake oil. Is it more common with snake oil in Hifi than for other products / areas? It was not harder than that.

If you missed the film, I think you should watch it. An 80s classic.:)

These capacitors do work thought. If you install extremely power hungry audio systems for you car, the alternator may not supply enough power at times, esp. when engine is running low rpm. Its just like those power reservoir caps in amps.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Dont know much about flux capaciators, but iam sure a 1.2GW car stereo could be impressive. ;)

Lets imagine we have lame inefficient speakers with 40dB 1W at 30hz.

10w 50dB
100w 60dB
1kw 70dB
10kw 80 db
100kw 90db
1Mw 100db
10MW 110db
100Mw 120db
1GW 130db

Ahhh not that bad. What can we learn? Never use lame speakers.
Or you have at least a nuclear power station in your car. ;)

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why do people keep writing 1.21 GigaWatts? It's JigaWatts, for f*ck sake :facepalm:
The film's writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale intended for the power to be gigawatts, but heard it pronounced as "jigawatt" and as such spelt and said it that way in the script, not learning the real pronounciation until after the film had been shot.
However, it can be said either way... jigawatt is the much older way of pronouncing gigawatt, so in essence it's the same thing and meaning;

giga·watt | \ ˈji-gə-ˌwät , ˈgi- \

There are phonetic examples here of each version;

JSmith

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
These capacitors do work thought. If you install extremely power hungry audio systems for you car, the alternator may not supply enough power at times, esp. when engine is running low rpm. Its just like those power reservoir caps in amps.
This probably works too. A little cheaper gadget.

Wonderfully childish. I think I will get one.:)

Edit:
Although it can not be ordered. Hm, could it have something to do with rights? The name, the design?

It seems to be auctioned off like a collector's item:

Aha, see attached picture.

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-05_15-42-07.png
    shot_2022-01-05_15-42-07.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 67
  • shot_2022-01-05_15-43-36.png
    shot_2022-01-05_15-43-36.png
    328 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
However, it can be said either way... jigawatt is the much older way of pronouncing gigawatt, so in essence it's the same thing and meaning;

giga·watt | \ ˈji-gə-ˌwät , ˈgi- \

There are phonetic examples here of each version;

JSmith
Sometimes even the best dictionaries make mistakes. This is one of those times.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We are europeans, we have the metric system. And there is no Jiga in it! ;) Get it!
What do you think I am? ;)

BTW, it's only 3 countries not having the metric system, so it's not a European thing ;) It's quite an illustrious list:

USA, Myanmar and Liberia

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Someone, I forget the name, makes some stick-on things that supposedly enhance the performance of audio gear AND cars.

you mean the late Peter W. Belt ?

His 'rainbow foil' etc are still sold.
rainbow_foil.jpg

and don't forget the 'morphic green cream'
new_morphic_green-cream.jpg

And don't forget the 'spiratube'. You will need to apply an odd number of windings. He even claimed sound improved when you put the material around the waterpiping and gaspiping as well as central heating. (not kidding)

spira_tube.jpg

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
you mean the late Peter W. Belt ?
No, not those, and not mpingo either. The things I'm thinking of were some little black blocks, about the size and shape of an IC (sans pins). Sticking them to transformers and other internals of audio equipment supposedly improved the sound. Applied to the ECU or other engine parts, the car would go faster, get better mileage, or whatever else you wanted to believe. Annoyingly, I can't recall the name of the things or who made them. Their website looked rather unprofessional, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

Top Bottom