• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FLux capacitor in Hifi!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
you mean the late Peter W. Belt ?

His 'rainbow foil' etc are still sold.
rainbow_foil.jpg

and don't forget the 'morphic green cream'
new_morphic_green-cream.jpg

And don't forget the 'spiratube'. You will need to apply an odd number of windings. He even claimed sound improved when you put the material around the waterpiping and gaspiping as well as central heating. (not kidding)

spira_tube.jpg
Hm, Hifi racism ..

"Some of Belt's other ideas included freezing compact discs before playing, and using only white cables.[8]"

Just writing that he seemed to have a "screw loose" I saw this:
Then it comes in a different light. Sad. Hope he got help.

shot_2022-01-06_00-20-09.png

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am quite convinced Peter was serious about his findings.

The upmark on the (re)sold items is remarkable though. I guess he needed to provide for his family. Those who fell for the nonsense should be the ones going into a straitjacket and deserve to have their money taken from them.

Fortunately for the buyers placebo is real and it would have seemed to work to some of them.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

The upmark on the (re)sold items is remarkable though. I guess he needed to provide for his family. Those who fell for the nonsense should be the ones going into a straitjacket and deserve to have their money taken from them.

Fortunately for the buyers placebo is real and it would have seemed to work to some of them.
Placebo within Hifi is sometimes yummy. It's nice to fool yourself. All these DIY for example. A lot is certainly very good but own cooked food tastes best. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because home-cooked food tastes best. If you experience it that way, that's how it is.
The crux is more when you objectively say that my food is the best in the world. Okay the comparison with food may not be the best because food has so much to do with taste (literally) :)

Although it is clear that consciously knowing that one is deceiving oneself, that it is subjective, may not make it easier to create that illusion. However, hifi, sound reproduction is just a small reflection of, for example, live music. It's an illusion.There is so much about Hifi that is governed by psychology. Which of course makes it even harder to keep the objective and the subjective apart.

However, sad are expensive snake oil products, sad for the wallet that is. Throw the money in the lake.Nice for Peter's wallet per se. He seemed to be a damn nice, bizarre and funny man. He probably did not want to hurt anyone, to deceive anyone,.. more the opposite, I think.He probably really believed in what he was doing.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Although it is clear that consciously knowing that one is deceiving oneself, that it is subjective, may not make it easier to create that illusion.

According to this article, it depends on your personality and brain anatomy: https://time.com/5392687/placebo-effect-pain/

Some people will experience the full effect of placebo, even when they are 100% aware of the fact that it's placebo.

Ironically it seems to surgest that people who are the most self aware, are also those who can't escape the effect.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The UK media proponent of the Peter Belt products, known well in our circles, was James Michael (Jimmy) Hughes. A lovely chap and a good friend at the time before our lives diverged, he was able to consistently demonstrate the 'effects' at his place in central London and something he did unknown to us also seemed to make a difference (taking bottles of polarised water in and out of his electricity meter box in the kitchen). The trouble was for me, I tried some of these things at home and got absolutely NO difference at all!!! The final straw was when he faced his large Impulse speakers away from the listener towards a central point between them in the wall behind them (he was a confirmed Bose 901 fan of old) and the distant smeared mess of sound was judged an improvement. That lunchtime, we'd been to a jazz gig in the Barbican Foyer where the musicians were ten to twenty feet away - nothing smeared or distant perspectives there, but I'm not sure it 'clicked' with him. Shortly after, we met our future wives and that was that for me and the 'enthusiastic experimentation' side of this hobby, everything becoming a bit more serious for me at least. Jimmy, Lord bless him, carried on... Happy times though and very memorable visits several times a year. He also promoted the 'single solid core cable' phenomena which again, made a definite difference in the perception of the sounds he was able to achieve at his home.

Last edited:

Gregss

The UK media proponent of the Peter Belt products, known well in our circles, was James Michael (Jimmy) Hughes. A lovely chap and a good friend at the time before our lives diverged, he was able to consistently demonstrate the 'effects' at his place in central London and something he did unknown to us also seemed to make a difference (taking bottles of polarised water in and out of his electricity meter box in the kitchen). The trouble was for me, I tried some of these things at home and got absolutely NO difference at all!!! The final straw was when he faced his large Impulse speakers away from the listener towards a central point between them in the wall behind them (he was a confirmed Bose 901 fan of old) and the distant smeared mess of sound was judged an improvement. That lunchtime, we'd been to a jazz gig in the Barbican Foyer where the musicians were ten to twenty feet away - nothing smeared or distant perspectives there, but I'm not sure it 'clicked' with him. Shortly after, we met our future wives and that was that for me and the 'enthusiastic experimentation' side of this hobby, everything becoming a bit more serious for me at least. Jimmy, Lord bless him, carried on... Happy times though and very memorable visits several times a year. He also promoted the 'single solid core cable' phenomena which again, made a definite difference in the perception of the sounds he was able to achieve at his home.

Hello,

Yes, often the easiest person to fool is yourself. Expectation can do wondrous things.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone who got to page 3 will need to know about this website :facepalm:

Andysu

Major Contributor
we're all obsessively trapped in the past with this movie ether as a movie or on scientific level . i find the soundtrack mix interesting . needs more surround channel enhancement that goes over Atmos with below surround to where it shows the "delorean flux capacitor" engaging with a sonic boom as the camera shows low angle to were the flames start in the rear wheels as it speeds down the road to where cable strikes the rod and sends the necessary energy for it time-travel then leaving huge flames starting off-camera at the rear then trails or should with below surround along the floor then upwards towards the screen channels . i'm working on another way with "below surround" as the movie is so call and i think in some ways the sci-fi fictional movie inspires practical science .

Speedskater

Major Contributor

Mary Belt (Mrs. Peter) once posted on the Stereophile forum:
That their products did not impact the audio electronics or the sound in the room. Their products affected the humans listening in the room.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That their products did not impact the audio electronics or the sound in the room. Their products affected the humans listening in the room.
All nonsense does, one way or another.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

At least that was the most honest thing to say but not what Peter used to say.
I guess this is true for all 'snake oil' products that appear to 'improve sound quality'.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Flux Capacitor for sale at Dedicated Audio. Now you can time travel and get all your favorite records when they were available.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Flux Capacitor for sale at Dedicated Audio. Now you can time travel and get all your favorite records when they were available.

Sold here in Australia too:

Note this: Due back in stock October 26th 1985

;)

Top Bottom