• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

help needed ,advice on 15in sub power

dreadknot

Forum Donor
iv got two

15" TS-CVR Series 1000W 4-ohm DVC Subwoofer by Audiopipe

for use in a home theater an plan to put each in a custom box with twin 15in rads

both to be wired down to a single 2ohms config and powered with a crown 1502 amp that puts out continuous rms of 775watts to two chanels each at 2ohms

would that be to much power to these subs the combind total rms of each sub is 500 with a peak of 1000

the 775 would be just 275 over the continuous 500 but only 137.5 per coil would be ok or would i kill my subs, iv heard from some people the over rms is ok sometimes on some subs

but i dont know if these are those kind of subs an how much over is safe if they can?

sorry if i sound like a noob im still new to some things when it comes to custom builds

here are the specs for the driver

Diameter: 15"
Peak Power Handling: 1000 Watts
RMS Power
Handling: 500 Watts
Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 1000 Hz
Sensitivity: 91
dB
2.5" 4-layer dual voice coil bass
Impedance: Dual 4 Ohms
Voice coil: DVC
Mounting Depth: 7.0625"

Driver Size 15 inch
Subwoofer Shape Round
Voice coils Dual voice coil
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohm
FS 25 Hz
QES 0.67
QMS 3.5
QTS 0.5
RE 3.6
VAS 95.24 liters
Xmax (millimeters) 7.5 mm
Sensitivity 91 dB
Frequency Response 20Hz - 1000Hz

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Power handling" is just that - the maximum power the manufacturer believes the driver can handle. Exceed that at your own peril. OK, you are unlikely to blow the driver unless you really go full blast...

OP
dreadknot

dreadknot

Forum Donor
i normally keep the gain knob on my crown 1502 at 80% an the lfe channel output at -8db do you think that would work with the stated power load, or would it still be a roll of the dice

iv got a set of

15" TXX-BD Series Single Stack 1600W 4-ohm DVC Subwoofer by Audiopipe its 800watts rms at 400watts per coil i had planned to use these for another build would it be wiser to use them instead of the ts-car

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-8 dB of 775 W is only 123 W, so should be more than safe - assuming the gain structure is OK.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
dreadknot

dreadknot

Forum Donor
quick ? my current amp used for my center speaker is the crown 1002 an i just checked its 2ohms out is 550watts which would be 275 a coil just 25 over at full out from the amp for a combind 50watts do you think id have any problems puting that amount into each of the 15" TS-CVR
with lfe channel output at 0db an the gain knob on my crown 1002 at 100% or would that still be pushing it?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is probably well within the safety margins / tolerances of the manufacturer spec.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Excuse me, but I don't understand why parallel in the first place? Much safer to connect them serial and I am pretty sure that your amp can give as much spl as you want that way too. At least try it first?

I have two 15" 4R subwoofers in series and a Hypex DS2.0 (100W to 8R) can drive them to Xmax before the knob reaches 12 o'clock.

Your Audiopipe woofers are meant for car installations, typically having very small box that makes high air spring down low, This is the scenario where lots of power is needed for equalizing the output response and to reach those insane competition level spls. Also most car amplifiers are designed to work with low impedances, but so is your Crown PA classD amp too. It can stand the 2R, but why should it be stressed?

Last edited:
OP
dreadknot

dreadknot

Forum Donor
the idea was to wire them down to a 2 ohm load to take adventage of the 1502 2ohm output an power ,why in parallel because thats what was needed ,im building two subs for home theater use on a tight budget plus my back isnt so good for lifting to big or heavy of a box so just the right size for me to move when needed .the two 15 when i got them were with shipping an tax together was 165$ an the wood for my design for both boxs total was 90$ get the rads was the most was under with shipping an tax at 500$ i got my 1502 on a really good sale day with shipping an tax at 400

for a grade total of 1155$ for me that just fine ,my prevous build was just 900$ but when my back got worse an we moved i couldnt take them with us an had to sale the plus they were a ported build using some daytons that needed a much bigger box which got a nice 116db spl

but now iv got to make them a smaller build hence using car subs an rads ,currently im just tring to nail power reqs an finsh the boxs

as Julf
noted that the 1002 would be safer for my purposes id have to get another 1 but current sale from sweetwater has for 340$ a 100 over current budget so i plan to go with two 15" TXX-BD an some deeper wood for a total of 235$ driver+wood so i can use my current amp ,soon as i sale off the two 15" TS-CVR

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Well, having enormous power available doesn't mean that you must use all of it! Still, don't just look at R and W numbers, but also realistic spl/cone excursion needed and tolerated by the woofer. Sealed boxes for 15" or even double 15" drivers don't have to be big and heavy, just rigid.

Lots of good info here https://data-bass.com/#/systems?_k=vnc1nq

Top Bottom