• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

JP

Major Contributor
Yes, and magnets.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I admit I don’t fully understand the components of the suspension versus the stylus.

The body of the MM cartridge lasts indefinitely, right? When you replace the stylus, you’re replacing the stylus, cantilever, and suspension in a single product, right?
Yes - the stylus includes the magnets, the mounting mechanism, the suspension, the cantilever and the needle.

The suspension is basically a rubber "doughnut" around the end of the cantilever - as well as "suspending" the cantilever, it also provides a level of damping - the firmness of the suspension then defines the optimal tracking force (VTF) and the optimal arm mass matching for to the compliance (give/firmness) of the suspension.

A good "retipper" - can replace the suspension alone, on a NOS needle - however, keep in mind that once that is done, the optimal VTF/Compliance parameters will be defined by the new suspension rubber and not the original specifications.

For those who have setups that are best suited to lower compliance / higher VTF, replacing the suspension has the potential additional side benefit of increasing VTF and optimal arm mass (by choosing a lower compliance suspension rubber).

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
To bad I broke off my Shure V15 V HE beryllium then, but I just bought this to cheer me up

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 63

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ortofon Super OM40

Ortofon super OM40 | 1.5 g | 47 kΩ | 140 pF | CA-TRS1007 side B.png

OM40_1.jpg

Notes:

• Crosstalk/azimuth set using Ortofon test record (sweep, below)
  • Suggested load 140-250 pF and 39-47 kOhm
Ortofon super OM40 | 1.5 g | 47 kΩ | 140 pF | Ortofon test recod.png

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ortofon Super OM10

Ortofon super OM10 | 1.5 g | 47 kΩ | 140 pF | CA-TRS1007 side B.png
S20160812_007.jpg

Notes:

• Suggested load 140-250 pF and 30-40 kOhm. Below an example of 140 pF and 36 kOhm
Ortofon super OM10 | 1.5 g | 36 kΩ | 140 pF | CA-TRS1007 side B.png

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the condition of the cartridges? The distortion above 5kHz is interesting.
It is almost unused. It is also different with the Ortofon test record.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
DENON DL-60 ORIGINAL?? ON DENON DP-51F

1694010475255.png

1694010498440.png

Sounds OK
  • Cartridge: DENON DL-60 at 1.8g. Azimuth not optimized
  • Stylus condition: unknown came with turntable bough form a widow. DL-60 cam with tie TT originally.
  • Test record: Clearaudio TRS-1007 side A track 1&2 L/R stereo
  • Turntable and arm: Denon dDP-51F Measured peak wow <0.06%. Dynemic Servo tracer arm coundteracts resonance
  • Phono stage and loading settings: Cambridge CP2
    • Capacitance and impedance:47kohm 310pF with cables
  • Cable capacitance
    • 80.pF accrong to Stereo review May 1982. +220pF RIAA.
  • ADC: Tascam 144mkII
  • Recording: no adjustment on balance, no Azimuth adjustment on cartridge, 96k
1694013281015.png

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the moment, is the flattest cartridge the Shure V15 Type V? The Ortofon OM40 and DL-60 both look impressive as well.

mglobe

Forum Donor
So first of all, these measurements are excellent, but beyond my capability to do myself. I'm personally not all that enthusiastic about searching for a used or NOS cartridge and sourcing a new stylus for it. I'd rather buy something off the shelf. So, I'm curious about the "modern" cartridges that are available through conventional audio dealers. I've seen comments about how the best ever made was right at the end of the vinyl era, but have we really proven with measurements that the currently manufactured cartridges are worse, better, or the same? I've looked at the third-party measurements are available, but the number of tests is not particularly large. Is there any appetite out there for measuring "modern" cartridges.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a lot of new AT that are good. Also Ortofon super OM30 is a good choice.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So first of all, these measurements are excellent, but beyond my capability to do myself.

The installation of the software is somewhat specialized and challenging if you have limited computer knowledge but the magic is that this is that if you know how to
A) make a recording
B) trim a recording

You can do this with your own gear!

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
DENON DL-60 ORIGINAL?? ON DENON DP-51F

View attachment 310077
View attachment 310078

Sounds OK
  • Cartridge: DENON DL-60 at 1.8g. Azimuth not optimized
  • Stylus condition: unknown came with turntable bough form a widow. DL-60 cam with tie TT originally.
  • Test record: Clearaudio TRS-1007 side A track 1&2 L/R stereo
  • Turntable and arm: Denon dDP-51F Measured peak wow <0.06%. Dynemic Servo tracer arm coundteracts resonance
  • Phono stage and loading settings: Cambridge CP2
    • Capacitance and impedance:47kohm 310pF with cables
  • Cable capacitance
    • 80.pF accrong to Stereo review May 1982. +220pF RIAA.
  • ADC: Tascam 144mkII
  • Recording: no adjustment on balance, no Azimuth adjustment on cartridge, 96k
View attachment 310084

Seems quite worn. Distortion is high. I'd not use it. If you do try cleaning the cantilever with 99% alcohol and a little distilled water. It looks grungy and it might be a bit weighed down. Here is a near new one. Old measurement. I'll re-do it in the future.

Denon DL-60 - Denon DP-30L II - 1.png

Last edited:
OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
So first of all, these measurements are excellent, but beyond my capability to do myself. I'm personally not all that enthusiastic about searching for a used or NOS cartridge and sourcing a new stylus for it. I'd rather buy something off the shelf. So, I'm curious about the "modern" cartridges that are available through conventional audio dealers. I've seen comments about how the best ever made was right at the end of the vinyl era, but have we really proven with measurements that the currently manufactured cartridges are worse, better, or the same? I've looked at the third-party measurements are available, but the number of tests is not particularly large. Is there any appetite out there for measuring "modern" cartridges.
More will come as the thread gets more views and interest. You can help by pointing to it in other forums. No need to be preachy about it. I think people will come around. They just need to know that it is possible to measure cartridges.

I just ordered a Sumiko Pearl simply for the measurement. Might make a good cheap option. Crosstalk is spec'ed at -30dB and that hints at quality. Who loves you guys?

mglobe

Forum Donor
More will come as the thread gets more views and interest. You can help by pointing to it in other forums. No need to be preachy about it. I think people will come around. They just need to know that it is possible to measure cartridges.

I just ordered a Sumiko Pearl simply for the measurement. Might make a good cheap option. Crosstalk is spec'ed at -30dB and that hints at quality. Who loves you guys?
If I came across as preachy I very much apologize. Not my intention at all, and maybe i didn’t spend enough time composing my comments. I am very curious about how/if modern manufacturing and materials might yield improvements to performance.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
If I came across as preachy I very much apologize. Not my intention at all, and maybe i didn’t spend enough time composing my comments. I am very curious about how/if modern manufacturing and materials might yield improvements to performance.
I didn't mean that you were being preachy. I just meant that bringing up measurements on vinyl forums is like dropping a grenade by your side. Best to be casual about it.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I didn't mean that you were being preachy. I just meant that bringing up measurements on vinyl forums is like dropping a grenade by your side. Best to be casual about it.
LOL, too late for that. :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any appetite out there for measuring "modern" cartridges.

Of course, but someone has to buy those modern cartridges and then set them up and then test…. In contrast, getting end users to learn how to run their own tests is easier :)

HifiNews has the best (only?) industry tests of modern cartridges.

JP

Major Contributor

Mention my name - smoothing things right over. :eek:

dougi

When back from a bit of travel I plan to order a Grado Gold 3 for testing. Xtalk 35dB!

Top Bottom