• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

dlaloum

Major Contributor
When back from a bit of travel I plan to order a Grado Gold 3 for testing. Xtalk 35dB!
The Grado's are a bit of an odd fish....

But the Grado body (outside of the flagship "woodies") has been in use unchanged for 40 years.... and in the past the flagships used this body, that means that if you can get a flagship needle replacement for your gold body, you can substantially upgrade the performance. (and Grado have been pretty good about maintaining support for their past models)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the moment, is the flattest cartridge the Shure V15 Type V? The Ortofon OM40 and DL-60 both look impressive as well.
There are several not yet in the database that show linear frequency response. However most of them are vintage and not sold today.

The Ortofon Super OM line is different since it
- is from the "old days" but still sold today
- can be configured with 2.5 or 5 g of mass (adapt to arm mass)
- shows a very good linear frequency response, and easily fine-adjusted with load

The disadvantage IMO is a bit too high distortion. OM30 is the best one, IMO. A fine polished diamond with low friction and much cheaper than OM40.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There are several not yet in the database that show linear frequency response. However most of them are vintage and not sold today.

The Ortofon Super OM line is different since it
- is from the "old days" but still sold today
- can be configured with 2.5 or 5 g of mass (adapt to arm mass)
- shows a very good linear frequency response, and easily fine-adjusted with load

The disadvantage IMO is a bit too high distortion. OM30 is the best one, IMO. A fine polished diamond with low friction and much cheaper than OM40.
Also the Super OM and standard OM share the same needle, but with slightly difference inductance - so you can use the differing bodies to tweak, along with the loading adjustments.

Hiten

Probably not a fair comparison but any cartridge measurements with linear tracking turntable ? would be interesting to see distortion measurements and resonances if any.
thanks for informative thread.
regards.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the Super OM and standard OM share the same needle, but with slightly difference inductance - so you can use the differing bodies to tweak, along with the loading adjustments.
And the LM series.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not a fair comparison but any cartridge measurements with linear tracking turntable ? would be interesting to see distortion measurements and resonances if any.
thanks for informative thread.
regards.

My Sharp RP-117 and Sony PS-X555ES Shure V15 are linear tracking but I am not sure how good my CBS test disc is.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apart from the OM 5s, aren't they technically discontinued now? I can't buy any in my market, and they are listed as "historical" products on the Ortofon website.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Apart from the OM 5s, aren't they technically discontinued now? I can't buy any in my market, and they are listed as "historical" products on the Ortofon website.
Yes, but they were one of the most prolific series, so it should be relatively easy to pick up an old body! (Concorde's are OM's too...)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ortofon lists OM 5s, 5e ans Super OM 5e. And I can buy a Super 5e and then a 10 to 40 stylus for it.

Hiten

My Sharp RP-117 and Sony PS-X555ES Shure V15 are linear tracking but I am not sure how good my CBS test disc is.
Sony turntable looks beautiful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if only comparison* is criteria (insted of fidelity) then quality of record should not matter much ? I mean measure a cartridge on linear turntable and then on regular pivoted turntable and just evaluate the difference ? (Specially high frequency region and resonances)

* linear vs pivoted turntable.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Sumiko Pearl
Click to increase size
Sumiko Pearl - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 1.png
Sumiko Pearl - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 3.png

PXL_20230914_204410476.MP.jpg
S20231127_0015.jpg
S20231127_0008.jpg
S20231127_0001.jpg

Notes
  • Like new cartridge with elliptical stylus
  • Excellent crosstalk and distortion for a budget cartridge
  • Quite a dip in the presence area
    • I initially thought this sample had a suspension issue
    • Lowbeats measurements corroborate my results
  • Sumiko seems to put out a wide assortment of different sounding cartridges
    • Not providing measurements creates a large burden for customers
  • Remember that the cartridge is one part of your sound system
    • This could sound more neutral with bright speakers such as old B&Ws
  • Can you guess how this will sound?
    • Not everyone has a neutral system or knows how it measures so anecdotes about sound quality are not dependable
      • This is why we need cartridge measurements to best understand how they sound
    • If your system is colored you can compare measurements to each other in order to determine good compatibility
      • You can make an educated judgement if you have access to measurements of your current cartridge
    • Another way is to compare sound samples
      • See if the measurements make sense with my recording comparison against a neutral cartridge
      • The easiest and most affordable way to more directly "hear" a cartridge is with headphones EQed to Harman neutral

Last edited:

dougi

Sumiko Pearl with possible suspension issue
Click to increase size
View attachment 311363
Notes
  • I believe this sample has a suspension issue
    • The 2dB drop between 1-5kHz is suspicious
      • But it does swing back up again
  • I am posting this but not including on official list so that we can confirm if there is an issue in the future
Lowbeats measured the Oyster, and it had a similar depression but it did swing up better.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor

dougi

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
I think you can. I guess it must sound a bit "warm" as they say.
I think I'll measure an AT150MLX next and post a recording comparison against this cartridge. Sumiko seems to distinguish their cartridges more through voicing.

I should have a Blue Point coming in soon. That's all I will offer in terms of Sumiko.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'll measure an AT150MLX next and post a recording comparison against this cartridge. Sumiko seems to distinguish their cartridges more through voicing.

I should have a Blue Point coming in soon. That's all I will offer in terms of Sumiko.
I think R could be set >= 60 kOhm to get a more linear upper end.

Sumiko Pearl with possible suspension issue
Click to increase size
View attachment 311363
Notes
  • I believe this sample has a suspension issue
    • The 2dB drop between 1-5kHz is suspicious
      • But it does swing back up again
  • I am posting this but not including on official list so that we can confirm if there is an issue in the future
Thanks for posting that! Pretty clear that it is related to the A&R P77. (Although the P77 does swing back up again - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...esponse-measurement-script.41148/post-1691314

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Here are some quick recordings for you to compare:

One used the Sumiko Pearl as seen above.
Another used a Shure V15 V-MR (though it was recorded about a year or so ago and loaded with ~50pF less than in my measurements so not ruler flat).
And one is from a digital remaster.

All are outer groove recordings so, basically, optimal conditions. Inner groove recordings should show more of a difference, but that is for another day. All set to -16 LUFS. Again, a quick comparison but in the end do the measurements tell the story?

I'll take these down in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I did not like no 3, whatever it was, is sounded more dull and distant.
Played trough Roon/Lindemann Network/Atom headphode amplifier/Grado SR125 headphones without EQ

Last edited:
Top Bottom