• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML
Part 2: high-mass tonearm and DIN 45 543 crosstalk measurements
Click to increase size
Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML - Sony PS-X50 - CA¹ - 2.png
Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML - Sony PS-X50 - CA¹ - 3.png

Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML - Sony PS-X50 - DIN 45 543 - 2.png

Notes
  • Aside from the expected low frequency resonance stability the results pretty much match my prior Denon ones
  • What is interesting is that my DIN 45 543 test record shows better crosstalk results
    • As seems to be typical with this test record, there is an improvement of around 5 dB
  • This means that the crosstalk measurement for the cartridge at 1kHz is actually at least -27 dB!
    • Thus its biggest weakness is actually a non-issue
  • It's also interesting that the DIN 45 543 FR is essentially the -1.0 to 1.0 dB curve
    • Channel balance is a little better too with channels switched
  • How many cartridges perform better than spec?
  • Should I make this test record measurement a part of my set from now on?

Last edited:

dougi

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Similar to my (first cart attempt) measurement but with more droop after resonance on mine. As you said in your first measurement, sensitive to setup.
What's interesting is that I get your result (roughly -1.0 to 1.0 dB) at total 100pF. And the DIN 45 543 result is almost a perfect match.

The droop is definitely tonearm and/or set-up related, however.
Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Ortofon 2M Blue
Click to increase size
Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png
Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 3.png

Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png
Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 3.png

Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - DIN 45 543 - 2.png
Ortofon 2M Blue - Denon DP-35F - CA¹  Middle - 1.png

Ortofon_2M_Blue_Frequenzg_Uebersprech.jpg
Ortofon 2M Black.jpg
Ortofon 2M Bronze.jpg

Measurements by Low Beats
PXL_20231012_181951908.MP.jpg
S20231009_0003.jpg
S20231009_0005.jpg

Notes
  • Like new, nude, elliptical stylus
  • FR is a bit different than prior measurements as well as those by the professional reviewers at Low Beats
    • My results show a stronger rise in the higher frequencies
    • Lowering capacitance helped below 10kHz but the resonance was less tempered
    • Interestingly my results are very much in line with Low Beat's measurements for the 2M Bronze and Black cartridges
      • I wish they made their graphs easier to read and provided more loading info
      • I always thought the expensive Black was neutral so this is very disappointing to see
        • Is there a modern cartridge like the Shure V15 V-MR?
      • Ultimately there is a precedent for my results
    • There are a few threads on vinyl forums that describe this cartridge as having accentuated highs
      • The track placement on the record makes a difference and should be noted in sound descriptions
    • Do the previously posted sound samples make sense when looking at these results?
  • Is the 2M line especially sensitive to set-up?
    • Note that Ortofon discusses tonearm incompatibility issues (e.g. Rega) on the product page
      • They mention strict tonearm angle and vertical tracking angle (VTA) requirements
        • It is interesting the Low Beats uses a Rega turntable for these measurements
        • I wonder how much alignment option (and/or tonearm effective length and overhang) matters
          • How sensitive is that high frequency resonance?
    • Note also the middle record sweep results
      • We see a dip on one channel that matches a previous Ortofon measurement
        • Azimuth alignment changed some
    • The Low Beats results show azimuth adjustment issues
    • I spent a lot of time fine tuning and these results best represent what I got
      • It did not fit on my Sony PS-X50 headshell but the results at 20Hz don't show tonearm mismatch issues here
        • I can see a slope drop of about 1 dB if there is an issue with low-mass tonearm
  • The DIN 45 543 results show exceptional crosstalk results of approximately -34 dB
    • They also corroborate the sound signature
  • Another sample would be very helpful

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks a bit like the Super OM10. It could be some individual variation of the OM/2M styiii but generally the recommendation is to lower the R from 47 kOhm to 36-42 kOhm for these cartridges to get flat response to 20 kHz.

morillon

Major Contributor
and quite simply a capacitance reduced to a minimum? cable+ 100 or just cable?
(210pf total with cable ? is already a rather high value as a base..and even more so if the wiring is also a little high)

Last edited:
OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
and quite simply a capacitance reduced to a minimum? cable+ 100 or just cable?
(210pf total with cable ? is already a rather high value as a base..and even more so if the wiring is also a little high)
Not exactly sure what you are asking. But all my graphs show total loading (cable + phono stage setting capacitance). Cable capacitance measured with LCR meter as multimeters exaggerate results. I have not measured parasitic capacitance but it is likely minimal.

morillon

Major Contributor
Not exactly sure what you are asking. But all my graphs show total loading (cable + phono stage setting capacitance). Cable capacitance measured with LCR meter as multimeters exaggerate results. I have not measured parasitic capacitance but it is likely minimal.
the interest of these observational measurements is for me to help refine the response settings fr..at first glance, you just have to lower the total capacitance initially to calm down the response...in all that it's a try .. just my point...
(if capacitance setting at minimum in prephono...maybe look for a cable with lower capacitance would be a good idea if in general mm)
I will stop there my aside

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
the interest of these observational measurements is for me to help refine the response settings fr..at first glance, you just have to lower the total capacitance initially to calm down the response...in all that it's a try .. just my point...
(if capacitance setting at minimum in prephono...maybe look for a cable with lower capacitance would be a good idea if in general mm)
I will stop there my aside
I posted results with 110pF total loading (cable capacitance only as the phono stage set to 0pF). I don't see any reason to measure below that (adjust cable length) as almost no one can load it that way. As I mention it only affects below 10kHz. The resonance is actually worse above that. Thomas is right in that it would be better to change R. But again I think it is more useful to post results closer to real world use, especially for these popular cartridges, which is why I am now doing 200pF and 100pF if it is interesting to do so.

morillon

Major Contributor
110pf for a "phono" cable often faced with mm is quite high...what is the wiring?

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
110pf for a "phono" cable often faced with mm is quite high...what is the wiring?
Is it really high? I thought that was quite typical for golden era turntables. Do modern turntables really have lower cable capacitance? Anyways it is 5ft mogami cable I terminated myself. Capacitance matches original 3ft wire. XLR with my balanced turntable and RCA for my regular ones.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Ortofon 2M Red with cantilever issue
Click to increase size
Ortofon 2M Red - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png
Ortofon 2M Red - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 3.png

Ortofon_2M_Red_Frequenzg_Uebersprech.jpg

Measurements from Low Beats

PXL_20231010_150318647.MP.jpg
S20231008_0008.jpg
S20231008_0004.jpg
S20231008_0002.jpg

Notes
  • Once again my FR results show a stronger rise than other measurements
  • FR similar to that of my 2M Blue
    • Resonance a bit worse but this makes sense given bigger and heavier, bonded diamond
  • Cantilever seems bent on one side at the end
    • Did this affect and lead to the poor left channel distortion results?
    • Once again another good reason to get a test record
    • Was anyone able to hear this on the cartridge comparison recordings?
  • The channel balance is impressive with both 2M cartridges
  • I must mention that I felt that this cartridge tracked poorly during my limited time with it
    • I don't think the cantilever issue is the culprit but who knows

Last edited:

dougi

Ortofon 2M Blue
Click to increase size
View attachment 320219View attachment 320220
View attachment 320221View attachment 320222
View attachment 320223View attachment 320230
View attachment 320224View attachment 320227View attachment 320228
Measurements by Low Beats
View attachment 320229View attachment 320225View attachment 320226

Notes
  • Like new, nude, elliptical stylus
  • FR is a bit different than prior measurements as well as those by the professional reviewers at Low Beats
    • My results show a stronger rise in the higher frequencies
I put my 2M Blue back on and set it up again. More top end lift but still not the same as the other measurements. Side 2 first track.

2M Blue_1.8g_RIAA mm_47k ohms_190pF_CA-STR-1007.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference between the two measurements (Ortofon Blue) is around 1-2 dB in the high end. Possible causes are actual loading values, individual variations, and use of RIAA stage (or not).

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
The results are erratic above 10kHz as you mention, so the test record may be coming into play as well. Less likely the tonearm. Distortion behaves oddly too.

But below that it looks much more similar and that area is more audible.

@dougi Would you want to try with side A track 1 too? A1 and B1 on my CA-STR-1007 don't generate quite the same results, unfortunately...

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Professional Re-tipping Example 1: Technics EPC-310MC
Click to increase size
Technics EPC-310MC (Re-tipped) - Technics SP-15 - CBS - 2.png
Technics EPC-310MC (Re-tipped) - Technics SP-15 - CBS - 3.png

Technics EPC-310MC (Re-tipped) - Technics SP-15 - CBSᶜ - 2.png
Technics EPC-310MC (Re-tipped) - Technics SP-15 - CBSᶜ - 3.png

Original post (different set-up)

Notes
  • These are from @mackat and this cartridge was re-tipped with a fine line diamond
  • Second set of measurements has FR corrected to my CA-TRS-1007
  • There are a total of two re-tipping examples and each was re-tipped by a different, US-based re-tipper
  • We have thought long and hard about how to present these results and decided that we will not name the re-tippers
    • Please don't ask and please don't speculate
  • As we don't have the measurements of the original working cartridge we can't say too much about this example
    • Other than that FR may be more or less correct given this other example and what we know about cartridges of that era
    • At this point you have completed a crash course in cartridge measurement analysis and can, at the very least, come up with specific questions to ask re-tippers
  • If you take anything away from this let it be the following: DEMAND MEASUREMENTS FROM RE-TIPPERS
    • Adding this step to a work process is minimal in cost and easy to do for a professional --there is no excuse
    • If you have a cartridge that you really care about and are considering re-tipping in the future, measure it now (and share the results!)
    • You have the power to make the vinyl market better for consumers

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Professional Re-tipping Example 1: Technics EPC-310MC
Click to increase size
View attachment 320812View attachment 320813
View attachment 320814View attachment 320815
Original post (different set-up)

Notes
  • These are from @mackat and this cartridge was re-tipped with a fine line diamond
  • Second set of measurements has FR corrected to my CA-TRS-1007
  • There are a total of two re-tipping examples and each was re-tipped by a different, US-based re-tipper
  • We have thought long and hard about how to present these results and decided that we will not name the re-tippers
    • Please don't ask and please don't speculate
  • As we don't have the measurements of the original working cartridge we can't say too much about this example
    • Other than that, perhaps, FR may be more or less correct given this other example and what we know about cartridges of that era
    • At this point you have completed the crash course of cartridge measurement analysis and can, at the very least, come up with specific questions to ask re-tippers
  • If you take anything away from this it is the following: DEMAND MEASUREMENTS FROM RE-TIPPERS
    • Adding this step to their process is minimal in cost and easy to do for a professional --there is no excuse
    • If you have a cartridge that you really care about and are considering re-tipping, measure it now (and share the results!)
    • You have the power to make the vinyl market better for consumers
Question: were these true "retip" - ie: maintaining the original boron tube cantilever, or what is more commonly done today, a replacement of the cantilever and needle as a single unit (which sadly, results in increased tip mass in a case like this one)

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Question: were these true "retip" - ie: maintaining the original boron tube cantilever, or what is more commonly done today, a replacement of the cantilever and needle as a single unit (which sadly, results in increased tip mass in a case like this one)
That's a great question. This is a "diamond-only retip."

Top Bottom