• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

red_delta

AT VM95C

VM95C_2g_w_fluance_cable.png

Notes

• Cartridge: Audio-Technica AT VM95C
  • Stylus condition <100 hrs on vinyl
  • Test record: CBS STR100 issue 3
  • Turntable: Fluance RT82 Stock
  • Tracking force: 2g
  • Phono stage and ADC: Pro-ject phonobox usb
  • Capacitance- Approx 210pF, given 120pF for phono preamp and 90pf for stock fluance cables (credit to USER)
  • Realigned the cartridge multiple times to attempt to get the FR to be smooth and consistent between the left and right channels, other alignments showed an overall jagged FR above 7khz
  • Generally mirrors the results of lowbeats
This is my first post both in this thread and ASR as a whole, please let me know if there is anything that needs to be fixed
Edit: Increased tracking force from 1.5g to 2g, added likely capacitance

Attachments

• VM95c.png
    VM95c.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AT VM95C

View attachment 321955

Notes

• Cartridge: Audio-Technica AT VM95C
  • Stylus condition <100 hrs on vinyl
  • Tracking force: 1.5g
  • Phono stage and ADC: Pro-ject phonobox usb
  • Cable capacitance- Unknown
  • Realigned the cartridge multiple times to attempt to get the FR to be smooth and consistent between the left and right channels, other alignments showed an overall jagged FR above 7khz
  • Mirrors the results of lowbeats
This is my first post both in this thread and ASR as a whole, please let me know if there is anything that needs to be fixed

Thanks for joining us! We appreciate the contribution.

Have you tried a higher tracking force? 1.5g seems a bit low for a cartridge that has a recommended tracking force of 2g. You may find that it tracks better and I am curious what it would do to the FR above 10kHz. It may stabilize it a bit further. That area is tricky with the CBS test record as warping or other variables affect it, but you may want to try it out to see if you get better performance.

The Project manual says that phono stage capacitance is 120pF for MM. So total is likely around 210pF if you are using the Fluance cables or similar.

red_delta

Thank you so much for the response, I will re-run the test later today with tracking set to 2g. For some reason I had 1.5g written down as the correct tracking force. I am using the stock fluance cables, as such I will note in future measurements that the capacitance is approximately 210pf. My test record is relatively flat, but does have a slight warp in it. I have a few other cartridges, such as a knockoff OM5e, a Chinese Cartridge, and a worn down (I think) OM10. So I'm hoping to post those later today as well.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Do you think the JVC TRS-1007 also has differences? I haven't seen any complaints about these discs.

I can't speak much about it as I don't have one and can't conduct formal comparisons. Certainly they are susceptible to warping, wear, and pressing issues like any other test record and it is best to have several copies to check them against each other. But they are pretty much impossible to find and there is only one person here that owns one (err, several). As mentioned in the introductory posts, he has demonstrated that for our purposes JVC TRS-1007 is correct when it comes to FR. As to crosstalk it may be possible that DIN 45 543 and the Ortofon test record can produce better results, but, again, I am in no position to say anything about it with authority.

aaaakkkk

I can't speak much about it as I don't have one and can't conduct formal comparisons. Certainly they are susceptible to warping, wear, and pressing issues like any other test record and it is best to have several copies to check them against each other. But they are pretty much impossible to find and there is only one person here that owns one (err, several). As mentioned in the introductory posts, he has demonstrated that for our purposes JVC TRS-1007 is correct when it comes to FR. As to crosstalk it may be possible that DIN 45 543 and the Ortofon test record can produce better results, but, again, I am in no position to say anything about it with authority.
I wonder how many of these disks AT itself has, probably more than a dozen :)

red_delta

"MM Cartridge stylus with 13mm Hole" Aka random cartridge I bought from Aliexpress

chinese cartridge of unknown origin.png

Notes
  • Cartridge: MM Cartridge stylus with 13mm Hole ( I sadly cannot find the actual name)
  • Stylus condition <20 hrs on vinyl
  • Tracking force: 2g
  • Phono stage and ADC: Pro-ject phono box usb
  • Capacitance- Approx 210pF, given 120pF for phono preamp and 90pf for stock fluance cables (credit to USER)

Attachments

• 2022_11_21_11_05_50_997.png
    2022_11_21_11_05_50_997.png
    807.6 KB · Views: 77
  • chinese catridge.png
    chinese catridge.png
    931.7 KB · Views: 110
  • PXL_20220920_002618163.jpg
    PXL_20220920_002618163.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

red_delta

(Likely Damaged) Ortofon OM10

Ortofon OM10.png

Notes
  • Cartridge: Ortofon OM10
  • Stylus condition approx 300 hrs on vinyl
  • Bizarre results when compared to the previously posted Super OM10, subjectively this stylus sounds like it might be at the end of its life

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Ortofon OM5 well used unknown hours

Is it that CBS record that is so horribly distorted In the post of OM10? Or something to do with the cartridge?

Here is a well used OM5
index.php

IMG_2011.jpeg

• Cartridge: Ortofon OM5
  • Stylus condition : Old well used, came with 35 usd turntable.
  • Test record: Clearaudio CA TRS-1007
  • Turntable: Denon 21F (No servo tracer arm here)
  • Tracking force: 1.8
  • Phono stage and ADC: Cambridge CP2
  • Capacitance- Approx 310, given for phono preamp 220 and 90pf for stock cable

.??Have not seen that bump in the response at 60/400HZ before, it is there no matter what I do on this TT/ cartridge. Could it be arm/position related?

The 2 white dots I see below , is that wear?

A quite lineær cartridge, I am considering getting A OM30 stylus for it, but the price for A Super OM30 cart is not much more, So I am torn between the Super OM or OM, any advice will be welcome ..
Are the OM cartridge we buy now true Ortofon of someother fabricator? I want an original…

IMG_2013.png

IMG_2012.png

Last edited:

aaaakkkk

Ortofon OM10

View attachment 322061

Notes
  • Cartridge: Ortofon OM10
  • Stylus condition approx 300 hrs on vinyl
  • Bizarre results when compared to the previously posted Super OM10, subjectively this stylus sounds like it might be at the end of its life

It would be nice to find a circuit for this player or disassemble it, perhaps it has capacitors at the output. For example, the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 has 0.1 microFarad capacitors installed!!!

Attachments

• Audio-Technica AT-LP120 has 0.1 microFarad capacitors installed!!!.jpg
    Audio-Technica AT-LP120 has 0.1 microFarad capacitors installed!!!.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 48

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious about the difference, if any, between Super OM and OM cartridges. @JP when is winter coming? :)

JP

Major Contributor
Finished winterizing the boat yesterday, docks are in, etc. Getting closer.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Audio-Technica AT71E with heavy wear
Another one for spooky week

Click to increase size
Audio-Technica AT71Eʷ - Denon DP-30L II - CBS²ᶜ - 2.png
Audio-Technica AT71Eʷ - Denon DP-30L II - CBS²ᶜ - 3.png

Audio-Technica AT71E - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png
S20221201_0009.jpg

Notes
  • This is an old measurement
  • FR was corrected to my CA-TRS-1007
  • Azimuth is off a bit
  • As you can see the diamond is completely worn out
    • This post is data for us to use to learn to "see" wear in the measurements
      • Focus on distortion
  • NOS stylus measurement for comparison
    • Note that these were taken years apart and on different test records and set-ups
  • The worn out stylus measurements may actually be loaded at ~130pF (because of an odd preamp setting)
    • But I can't confirm it
    • It is performing like it is based on other Audio-Technica measurements, however
      • It could also be a minor suspension issue given age
  • I no longer have the stylus as I decided to attempt to perform a cantilever/stylus transplant
    • I'll post results in the future!
Edit: I moved and corrected my secondary comments on wear as I overlooked something and it makes better sense elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Pioneer PC-290T with heavy wear
Click to increase size
Pioneer PC-290Tʷ - Denon DP-30L II - CBS²ᶜ - 2.png
Pioneer PC-290Tʷ - Denon DP-30L II - CBS²ᶜ - 3.png

Pioneer PC-550EII - Denon DP-35F - CA¹ - 2.png

PXL_20220324_174535273.MP.jpg
S20220317_0017.jpg
S20220317_0012.jpg

Note
  • This is an old measurement and I no longer have the cartridge
  • FR was adjusted to my CA-TRS-1007
  • Induced magnet (IM) cartridge with bonded spherical stylus and aluminum cantilever
  • The distortion results tell us that the stylus has heavy wear
    • I'd bet it is fully worn out
    • I wish I was able to photograph it with my current set-up before I measured it
      • As you can see these images are useless for gauging wear
      • The first thing I do with a cartridge now, whether new or used, is photograph the diamond tip
  • This measurement is also helpful because FR is likely not too impacted by wear
  • And we can see that it is similar to the Pioneer PC-550EII
    • In this way we can have a better sense about how brands and families of cartridges generally perform
      • And have a reasonable basis to answer questions we may have when information isn't available
        • And, just as important, have more confidence in our results

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Ortofon OM5 well used unknown hours

Is it that CBS record that is so horribly distorted In the post of OM10? Or something to do with the cartridge?

Here is a well used OM5
index.php

View attachment 322132
  • Cartridge: Ortofon OM5
  • Stylus condition : Old well used, came with 35 usd turntable.
  • Test record: Clearaudio CA TRS-1007
  • Turntable: Denon 21F (No servo tracer arm here)
  • Tracking force: 1.8
  • Phono stage and ADC: Cambridge CP2
  • Capacitance- Approx 310, given for phono preamp 220 and 90pf for stock cable

.??Have not seen that bump in the response at 60/400HZ before, it is there no matter what I do on this TT/ cartridge. Could it be arm/position related?

The 2 white dots I see below , is that wear?

A quite lineær cartridge, I am considering getting A OM30 stylus for it, but the price for A Super OM30 cart is not much more, So I am torn between the Super OM or OM, any advice will be welcome ..
Are the OM cartridge we buy now true Ortofon of someother fabricator? I want an original…

View attachment 322133
View attachment 322134
According to old 'Choice tests, the Ortofon OM body has a resonance in the mid to upper hundred Hertz region which shows on response plots and separation tests done back then.

Top Bottom