• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Sorry if I got this wrong, in which case you could ignore me. :) But maybe good for visitors reading this too - are you sure you're not mixing up the AT140ML with the ML140? (The former being compatible with for instance the 440 and the newer 500/700, while the latter is a unique series.)
You are quite right, the ML140 and ML180 are a seperate series... as opposed to the AT140ML, AT440ML, AT120E, AT150 etc...

Forgot about that series and mixed them up - they are not common at all!!

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I wish I did collect more cartridges in younger days , all these good ones while I bought a AT95E and was happy, all the good cartridges I missed out on… now they are too expensive , and with risk faulty suspension other faults or unobtainable . I have always been born 10 years too late…

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
... , and with risk faulty suspension other faults or unobtainable .
Good point!

For me, that's the main reason why I'm only interested in vintage cartridges to a very limited extent. As good as they used to be when they were new. I've been through a few classics on my audio journey of sixty years now. I also wonder if it's really interesting to measure these classics again today.

Sorry to ask myself these questions: What is it supposed to show? What interest does it satisfy? Is it to look at the audio history of the old cartridges?

I remember that there were many measurements in the audio press at the time. And there still are today. I am adequately served by them.

All I really need to listen to music is a good record player and a cartridge that fits the tonearm. I admit that I still have a few different cartridges myself, but that's not really necessary.

Of course, I won't spoil the fun of measuring or practising these skills for anyone. Please do not get it wrong. :)

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I cannot reallly find any good cartridge measurememts other places than here. HifiNews results look suspect.. others are heavily smoothed.
I measure thing out of curiousity.. in Hifi nothing can be trusted but objective data

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ortofon MC 20 MKII
Click to increase size
Ortofon MC 20 MkII - Technics SP-15 - CBS - 2.png
Ortofon MC 20 MkII - Technics SP-15 - CBS - 3.png

Ortofon MC 20 MkII - Technics SP-15 - CBSᶜ - 2.png
Ortofon MC 20 MkII - Technics SP-15 - CBSᶜ - 3.png

Ortofon MC 20 MK II Official Measurements.jpg
Ortofon MC 20 MK II Generator.jpg
i-img1198x898-1691468697riqggw451239.jpg

Cartridge picture from google search to note that this is the silver version. Original post.

Notes
  • These results are from @mackat
  • The second set has FR adjusted to my CA TRS-1007
  • Used, low output MC with nude fine-line stylus, not sure about the cantilever
    • Distinguished at the time (1979) for its tracking ability
    • The original MC 20 (1977) was marketed as having "the lowest tip mass ever attained on a phono cartridge"
  • As you can see the result is quite different than the Stereo Review measurements of the original MC 20
  • The close up afforded by the script shows an almost clunky integration of the high frequency resonance
  • Another relatively unusual modern cartridge with limited low frequency response
  • I don't know much about MC cartridges but I believe that this was quite a popular cartridge in the early 1980s

Last edited:
OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Interesting with the differing results vs Stereo Review. Official specs say 20-20.000 Hz +/- 1 db - https://www.ortofon.com/mc-series-p-704

Sorry for a clueless question maybe, but can a cart somehow go 'out of spec'? Or are we only seeing differences due to measurement setup?

Those are different cartridges. The one measured by mackat is the MKII. The Stereo Review one is the original. I find Stereo Review dependable (they are the gold standard), though it helps to know about the CBS STR-100 that they use.

Edit: what is interesting to me is that they seem to have made a substantial and deliberate change. Quickly too as the MKII came out two years after the original. I wonder if it is related to the quote JP pulled from the Sterephile review a few posts ago. I don't know enough about MCs to know if there was an issue with recessed highs until that point. It would be great to see the original MC 20 on here. It looks like a historically important (i.e. collectible) cartridge. I kind of want one.

As far as official FR specs, those are the one spec I never trust. Others I do and am coming to think that crosstalk is generally underrated. Perhaps one can read plus minus 1 dB from the official graph I attached, but I can't say I can read it all that well. Certainly things such as suspension and dampening issues make cartridges go out of spec. (Even accumulated dirt can do so.) That said it is a Bruel & Kjaer test record they use, which in reality dips above 1kHz and can falsely give "flatter" results for "brighter cartridges." There should be comparisons on this site. You see this with Denons and JVC TRS-1005. Someone recently mentioned that Ortofon may have tuned their cartridges to those test records, if so then they likely thought their cartridges were flatter than they actually were.

The funny thing about all of this is that we as are using the very same test records these conglomerates were using. We are in a position where the layman (such as myself) can produce better results given that we have more robust computing, coding, and audio-processing powers, are sharing accumulated knowledge, and live in an age where digitization is easy and commonplace. This is like everyone owning a Klippel (a super janky one, on the verge of toppling over, lol). To be sure people have been measuring their cartridges at home and setting them up with test records the whole time, but Scott and JP and did an incredible job with the script. Objectivity is manifested through images and we are lucky to be able to produce these informationally robust and beautifully organized graphs. It still is important to note that this project is not perfect as most of us cannot properly measure cartridge performance near the inner groove. This is why the idea of creating our own test record doesn't die though it will likely never happen. But there are some cool new things that we can do too. I'm particularly excited to really test the idea of the importance of FR with public EQ comparisons and experiments.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
This is the 1980s so what exactly is he talking about? Something like this from the previous era?

View attachment 325866
I have mackat's updated versions of this cartridge coming up and they behave like modern MCs. (In fact I think they set the bar for modern MCs.) If anyone has the original I'd love to see another measurement of this cartridge. It's on my personal want list because of this 1977 Stereo Review review.

View attachment 325869
It's always hard to take subjective reviews too seriously because of all the unknowns. Perhaps Julian Hirsch's set-up had bright-ish speakers, which rendered the results neutral.

Seemingly, and I find that type of response lived on to today.

The second bit is... interesting: 'It didn't do anything we haven't heard other cartridges do, but we decided to prefer it after all'. M'kay.

JP

Major Contributor
The Stereo Review one is the original.

I've lost the plot - which are the Stereo Review?

I don't know enough about MCs to know if there was an issue with recessed highs until that point.

The quote wasn't recessed highs, rather recessed mids with exaggerated highs: the infamous smiley-face response.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
I've lost the plot - which are the Stereo Review?

Stereo Review = MC 20 (Original)

mackat's MC 20 MKII is the update to that cartridge and has a different FR as best as we can tell.

I'm simply curious about the dramatic FR change made soon after the original was released (MKII came out 2 years after the original). I found it interesting in the context of the quote you pulled from Stereophile, which may be a sort of dig at something like the Stereo Review review, which raved about a cartridge with the recess (mid-band, my bad).

Simply an fun and interesting nugget of audiophile history.

JP

Major Contributor
Ya but which one is that?

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Not sure what you are asking. I think the Stereophile critique is general. I don't know enough about MC performance of the time to know if the MC 20 (original) had a typical response. I was thinking about the MC 20 (original) as I was putting together the MKII measurement post and when I saw the Stereo Review measurement it seemed like a nice coincidence and example.

JP

Major Contributor
No which is the Stereo Review review or data? None of the images have headers or footers.

The official specs I linked to are for MkII though. With Ortofon's claim of +-1 and what I guess is a relatively low tip mass, it is disappointing to see that rise begin at 5kHz already, and reach +2dB way below 10kHz.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what the frequency response tells us 40 years after it was made. Suspension should not perform as originally intended.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I hope to see a Hana Cartridge here . Anyone got one coming?
They get promoted a lot , but I think their basic aluminium and nude stylus are expensive compared to that I can get a AT with Boron and Microline for the same cost, and the Hana Boron/top stylus at very much more expensive than alternatives. So I wonder how good are Hana really?

JP

Major Contributor
I was considering maybe picking some Nagaoka MP as the YEN is rather weak, but am on the fence about that. I'd like to see some measurements of the Hana, but I don't have any interest in owning any of them. Pretty much the same for the Nagaoka.

@Thomas_A, MP300/500, 150/200, and 100/100 bodies are the same? I've seen many people say that, but no actual evidence of it.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering maybe picking some Nagaoka MP as the YEN is rather weak, but am on the fence about that. I'd like to see some measurements of the Hana, but I don't have any interest in owning any of them. Pretty much the same for the Nagaoka.

@Thomas_A, MP300/500, 150/200, and 100/100 bodies are the same? I've seen many people say that, but no actual evidence of it.
I remember seeing some detailed spec somewhere, but my memory is a bit weak. I think they are the same. The older MP10-50 may differ (at least fr response seem to differ)

Top Bottom