• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any good DC-coupled amps to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vintologi

I have read that a lot of amplifiers will not actually reproduce direct current but i havn't been able to find good information regarding this.

With most reviews i see a small dropoff at 10hz, is that due to the amplifier itself not reproducing DC or is it due to limitations when it comes to the measurements?

index.php

staticV3

Master Contributor
With most reviews i see a small dropoff at 10hz, is that due to the amplifier itself not reproducing DC or is it due to limitations when it comes to the measurements?
It's the former. Amir's measurement equipment can measure flat down to <1Hz.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why this is presented as an issue. Your audio chain should filter out DC.
DC has no place in audio.
Maybe it's the latest in sub sub sub sub sub bass?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe it's the latest in sub sub sub sub sub bass?
The wavelength of sound at frequency pi (3.1415926 hz) is 109.18 m.

I’d expect something magical must be there and a lack of dc coupling is deliberately hiding it from us all.

OP
V

vintologi

Not sure why this is presented as an issue.
It is a problem if the goal is to faithfully reproduce audio as it was recorded and mastered.
Your audio chain should filter out DC.
DC has no place in audio.
That's very much not the case.

I at the very least will need DC for testing purposes.

You can actually reproduce 0.1hz easier than people think (at least partly) you simply need a sealed room with sealed subwoofer element. Unfortunately without also having fans the reproduction will only be partial.

Whether or not you can actually percieve it is a different question, i might test that myself at some point.
I, too, am outraged why the authorities tacitly forbid applying 30 or more volts DC to a speaker coil with 4 ohms DC resistance.
This is such an industry conspiracy.
It's fairly easy to build speaker that can handle DC just fine, you just need to have a crossover filter and sufficient subwoofer elements.

Getting good performance in the midrange is much harder.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a problem if the goal is to faithfully reproduce audio as it was recorded and mastered.
The equipment used to record music does not go down to DC. Nor do any of the common mediums have that capability.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
you simply need a sealed room

Yeah, I gotta get one of those.

Maybe use the fuselage of a small business jet.

What about wall flex?

I think my little big amps are DC coupled "to faithfully reproduce audio as it was recorded and mastered", but shut down if DC is detected.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

That's very much not the case.

I at the very least will need DC for testing purposes.

You can actually reproduce 0.1hz easier than people think (at least partly) you simply need a sealed room with sealed subwoofer element. Unfortunately without also having fans the reproduction will only be partial.

Whether or not you can actually percieve it is a different question, i might test that myself at some point.

It's fairly easy to build speaker that can handle DC just fine, you just need to have a crossover filter and sufficient subwoofer elements.

Getting good performance in the midrange is much harder.
Can we see some music tracks which contain significant content of 10Hz or less?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can we see some music tracks which contain significant content of 10Hz or less?
I think some movie tracks have 5Hz or so, mainly from helicopters. Still not DC.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I’d say, get one of those.

But please don’t come and ask us about sound fidelity.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The rotary subs are kind of cool, too. A breath of fresh air, you might say :D

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yep the benchmark AHB2 doesn't have that issue at 10hz

index.php
The AHB2 has a 0.1 Hz high pass filter. This keeps the phase response accurate at 10 to 20 Hz. In contrast, amplifiers that roll off near 10 Hz add delay to the low bass.

The 0.1 Hz high pass filter keeps DC out of your speakers (very important) without adding a delay to the low bass.

All Benchmark products measure -3 dB at 0.1 Hz.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AHB2 has a 0.1 Hz high pass filter. This keeps the phase response accurate at 10 to 20 Hz. In contrast, amplifiers that roll off near 10 Hz add delay to the low bass.

The 0.1 Hz high pass filter keeps DC out of your speakers (very important) without adding a delay to the low bass.

All Benchmark products measure -3 dB at 0.1 Hz.
Thanks John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom