• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Issues with 24 bit 192 Khz content

Eleo

Hi there. I'm having a problem with a Mini PC with Eq Apo connected to an Smsl C200 and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am listening to Amazon Music on a Mini PC with 1.4 Ghz and 4 Giga Ram connected to a network with a speed of about 30 megabytes per second. My problem only occurs when listening to 24-bit 192 Khz tracks, while I have no problems with other formats. After, say, 30 seconds of music I am experiencing sudden crashes, pops, etc. According to my calculations, 30 megabits per second should be sufficient even for 192 Khz. I've tried turning Eq Apo off, but it makes no difference - however, I use only some Peq, therefore there should be no risk of running out of CPU resources. In the audio settings, the Smsl is listed as a 32 bit 192KHz device. What could be the cause? Is it a hardware problem or should I change some settings in Windows?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out the various buffer settings in your software or drivers. Play with the settings to see if that makes a difference?
Also see if the BIOS has any settings for the USB controller. Sometimes this may have an effect as well.
Check CPU usage while playing?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4 gig of ram isn't much for Windows 10 or 11. Uninstall unused apps and disable background services like print spooler, bit locker and others you aren't going to use. It's probably a memory thing not CPU.

Edit: schedule automatic updates to make sure it doesn't start when you're using the computer. That's a real pain in the a

Last edited:

Saponetto

MiniPCs are quite picky about the OS.
A device with 4GB RAM and at least a N5100 CPU should bear without hassle a 24-192 stream from Amazon Music desktop app if running W10.
Same device could not be able to stream the same content without lots of hiccups if running W11, even if raising the RAM to 8GB.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Downsample it to 24/96. Only a bat could hear the difference.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
44.1khz 16 bit covers the range of human hearing. Unless you have a pet brown bear who likes wearing headphones and listening to dog whistle quartets, it's a waste of time for higher resolutions. Even 88.2khz is used for recording so you can downsample a project to save it without dithering. So much marketing hype convincing people they have superpowers.

OP
Eleo

Eleo

Thank you very much for for your precious replies. I'm going to follow to your suggestions

JSmith

Master Contributor
What could be the cause?
Probably RAM... Win10 will take up most of the 4GB leaving little for anything else. Plus you will have a large paging file, with lack of RAM being pushed to the HDD then slow to read off the HDD.

What did Latencymon show, as per @staticV3's advice? You could run something like Wise Memory Optimiser to try and free up some RAM, but I would do that manually when it starts to operate very slowly, rather than having it set to auto.

JSmith

Saponetto

@Eleo Thanks.
It is also strongly suggested to strip all possible unnecessary tasks/services, but probably you already did this.
4GB are of course just the limit to make a windows-based machine work.
Which CPU does your pc currently use?

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMO the first step should be to make sure the PC does no resampling. Since Amazon Music reportedly supports wasapi exclusive and the DAC supports 44.1-192kHz, it should work. Then just passing samples to the DAC takes almost not CPU.

OP
Eleo

Eleo

IMO the first step should be to make sure the PC does no resampling. Since Amazon Music reportedly supports wasapi exclusive and the DAC supports 44.1-192kHz, it should work. Then just passing samples to the DAC takes almost not CPU.
Thanks but is wasapi exclusive compatible with Eq Apo?

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, but then you will have to resample if you want to play tracks of different samplerates with a single-samplerate chain.

For start I would try wasapi exclusive directly, just to confirm your HW is OK. Then you can complicate your chain with the resampling and effects and finetune your system to handle the extra load reliably.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the exact model number of the PC?

Saponetto

Amazon Music does not truly support wasapi exclusive.
It's a very long issue reported by many users.

Top Bottom