• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Totally agree. From what I understand though the methods by which infrasound is regulated is completely wrong. Something to do with dBA v dB linear measurement. Dr Mariana Alves Pereira goes into great detail on this topic. See the earlier video presentation held in the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada 2019. The science is heavily underfunded and is deserving of a lot more attention given this so called electrical green revaluation being planned for us all.

I am sure that they take donations, or you can fund a student or supply grant or scholarship.

Might well be but the effects of infrasound certainly isn't bull shit.

If the numbers were off by a factor of 4000, and that was the basis for the claim.
Then it seems to move the claim in danger of being considered as BS.

DASH

I am sure that they take donations, or you can fund a student or supply grant or scholarship.

If the numbers were off by a factor of 4000, and that was the basis for the claim.
I think you should look at Mariana Alves-Pereira work. Shes one of the leading scientists in her field. Shes completed many studies around infrasound and the biological effects. The study your referring too might have been skewed over a decade ago but if you think that's the only study ever done then we might as well all pack up and go home... There's very likely been hundreds done since! So your point is?

DASH

I think you should look at Mariana Alves-Pereira work. Shes one of the leading scientists in her field. Shes completed many studies around infrasound and the biological effects. The study your referring too might have been skewed over a decade ago but if you think that's the only study ever done then we might as well all pack up and go home... There's very likely been hundreds done since! So your point is?
As for sponsoring a student. That's a great idea. Be nice if I could afford it mind.. still a good idea though.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought of this thread early this morning when we had some trains in the valley rolling through....pretty good translation of audible low frequencies in my room at a considerable distance (maybe half a mile?).....when they close the highway just a bit beyond the rr, then that's fairly obvious, too. We have lots of inherent noise/sound we don't normally think about. I remember living in SF when the Prieta earthquake hit and how quiet the city got with the lack of freeway traffic after it....

DASH

I thought of this thread early this morning when we had some trains in the valley rolling through....pretty good translation of audible low frequencies in my room at a considerable distance (maybe half a mile?).....when they close the highway just a bit beyond the rr, then that's fairly obvious, too. We have lots of inherent noise/sound we don't normally think about. I remember living in SF when the Prieta earthquake hit and how quiet the city got with the lack of freeway traffic after it....
Now imagine a noise similar that doesn't respond to the doppler effect and instead just lingers like a diesel engine in the distance, occasionally changing octave but is always there 24/7... That's whats being reported here in the UK. Its exactly what I can hear. Glad the topics pricked your interest.

DASH

OK - but let’s assume that the media is not reporting it in favour of some other banal set of stories.
It is not the responsibility of the media to do research on sound, and with 1/2 of the stories about climate change, weather, and Greta topics, why would they want to run a story that is in opposition to all that?
They are in the business of making money through advertisement,. Etc.

The windmill companies are also not likely to entertain every person that wants some study of low frequency sound.

And like a car race track, prison, or nuclear power plant… the majority do not want this in their stuff in their backyard.

The OP posted a bunch of statements and asked questions.
People are weighing in.

That is about all that we can do, without requesting that media, government, or a company, do something that they have no incentive or reason to do.
Bitching about the media, is a waste of time here (IME).
Good points. The media are half the problem imo and could be doing a lot more to investigate these strange goings on. Like you say, no one wants to point the finger at renewables because it doesn't fit the current narrative.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now imagine a noise similar that doesn't respond to the doppler effect and instead just lingers like a diesel engine in the distance, occasionally changing octave but is always there 24/7... That's whats being reported here in the UK. Its exactly what I can hear. Glad the topics pricked your interest.
Uh huh,, what measurements do you have of this phenomena? Are you sure it's not just poor hearing or are you trying to imply impulse response or?

Holmz

Major Contributor

Since you asked, my point is that:
Generally people in academia pursue their degrees because they are interested in the
And scholarships are given based upon what others are interested in, which include money making efforts.

We also have DARPA and other agencies that support more of the cutting edge research.

In addition to windmill noise, there are biotech efforts - like the CoVid response, which will likely attract research for a long time.
Windmill noise is going to have to compete with all those other interesting things.
You opinion on that, and whether there should be effort to study it, is about as effective as a prayer.
If you want to be more effective, you have to throw money at a problem.

And generally that is better with a slow approach, over a long timeframe.

DASH

Uh huh,, what measurements do you have of this phenomena? Are you sure it's not just poor hearing or are you trying to imply impulse response or?

1 example about the same distances I am from the potential source I.e the wind farm at Burbo bank. And yes it can be measured. It just "apparently" cant be located as yet.... It could be these new 32 8mw wind mills over 180m tall or it could be the offshore substation etc. I'm almost convinced it has something to do with the wind farm. I'm making more local enquiries, hopefully I'll be able to raise an issue this side off the water. I'll post a map of the wind farm if I can find a good one. We have a bit of a cat and mouse game going on in some parts of the press,. It seems there's a concerted effort in some tabloids to blame it all on "the world wide hum" "mental health" or an "illusive factory" anything but nearby wind farms. Hack articles hack studies even... We all know this kind of stuff goes on. People will write almost anything for the right price.. The initial investigations are usually honest and forthcoming, then certain sections of the press get hold of it and try to turn it into a James bond / Mr Bean novel! Leaving the original story isolated. People are then less inclined to speak out and the investigations get shutdown. You dont get multiple accounts in a short time frame of the same phenomenon in a relatively small country which happens to be the world leader in fully commissioned wind farm technology if nothing suspect is going on... My opinion.

First the national grid say it's not us then after the investigation they say they can measure it (As I can) but cant isolate it...strange that given this giant windfarm has only recently connected up to the grid and it appears to be an out of phase 50hz frequency... uk runs on 50hz.

Last edited:

DASH

A short list of articles... Sadly not a lot of substance.

The list goes on...

RandomEar

You dont get multiple accounts in a short time frame of the same phenomenon in a relatively small country which happens to be the world leader in fully commissioned wind farm technology if nothing suspect is going on... My opinion.
These sorts of noises have been reported since the 60s - long, long before wind farms existed. It's certainly possible that some farms also create LF sounds, but obviously there are other sources. Reports in the articles you posted are widely different. From
“If I come out of the house it disappears but it almost sounds as though it’s coming from underground?"
over
“We worked on a similar project about three years ago, noise from a large transformer made items inside a house vibrate.”
and
Whenever he travels, even abroad, he may be clear of it for about a day or two and then his hearing will tune into it again.
to
Bristol residents have also experienced strange sounds, with the complaints made to the council about it making local news headlines in the 1970s. [...] Elsewhere, Hampshire residents reported being kept awake by a pulsating noise which proved to be a fish mating ritual.

Sooo... this essentially proves my point that the sounds don't have a common cause. Electrical hum, fish mating (my favorite!), psychological or physiological causes, it's all being described.

Further, humans can't detect the direction of LF sounds. But if you can measure it, it should be possible to triangulate the source. At least as long as it eminates from a close-enough-to-point-source. After all, SPL drops with 1/distance^2. Measure at an arbitrary center point, move a kilometer (or a mile) in each of the four cardinal directions and you should have a rough heading. Refine the search.

Last edited:

DASH

These sorts of noises have been reported since the 60s - long, long before wind farms existed. It's certainly possible that some farms also create LF sounds, but obviously there are other sources. Reports in the articles you posted are widely different. From

over

and

to

Sooo... this essentially proves my point that the sounds don't have not a common cause. Electrical hum, fish mating (my favorite!), psychological or physiological causes, it's all being described.

Further, humans can't detect the direction of LF sounds. But if you can measure it, it should be possible to triangulate the source. At least as long as it eminates from a close-enough-to-point-source. After all, SPL drops with 1/distance^2. Measure at an arbitrary center point, move a kilometer (or a mile) in each of the four cardinal directions and you should have a rough heading. Refine the search.

This is something I've thought about as well. There's no denying theres been a massive increase in reports in the last 2 years in the UK. Prior to that you'd be hard pushed to find the same level of reporting.

Somethings going on....

Found some interesting links as far as detection goes..

Rosieday

This is a little off topic for an audio forum but I'm hoping someone with a microphone can measure the noise in their house and tell me if this chart is normal.

We live in a 89 year old house and for the last few months we have heard a low-frequency rumble sound all the time. Even with everything in the house turned off. It's the same everywhere in the house but we don't hear it outside or under the floor (pier and beam) or in the attic. It's constant and unchanging so I thought I would measure it with my microphone and REW. There seems to be a higher level of noise below 100 Hz on REW.View attachment 117246. I would like to know if this unusual or is it common in a house? It's driving us crazy and causing loss of sleep. The trace is with 1/6 smoothing.
Hi, I would like to say, I have been having a very similar problem myself. Since the 18/08/22, there has been a consistent humming noise under my bungalow. It’s a more sporadic noise in so much it stop starts randomly. It usually starts at 2am and goes on until late in the day. Sometimes it’s starting at 10pm and going all night.
I have walked the length and breadth of the village but, can not hear anything outside. I have visited a couple of other bungalow in my road and I can hear it there too but, the people who live in their homes can’t hear it because they are deaf. I know it’s not tinnitus I have excellent hearing. Also when I am away from my home I cannot hear that noise anywhere else. I’m now looking to sell I can’t stand it anymore. I have tried all the suggested but it’s still there. I have had an electrician, water board, plumber and western power to see if they can locate it. They can hear it but cannot locate where it’s coming from. The council are not interested. I bought a decibel monitor. It records up to 39 decibels. I understand 24 is the suitable level. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Rosieday

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I would like to say, I have been having a very similar problem myself. Since the 18/08/22, there has been a consistent humming noise under my bungalow. It’s a more sporadic noise in so much it stop starts randomly. It usually starts at 2am and goes on until late in the day. Sometimes it’s starting at 10pm and going all night.
I have walked the length and breadth of the village but, can not hear anything outside. I have visited a couple of other bungalow in my road and I can hear it there too but, the people who live in their homes can’t hear it because they are deaf. I know it’s not tinnitus I have excellent hearing. Also when I am away from my home I cannot hear that noise anywhere else. I’m now looking to sell I can’t stand it anymore. I have tried all the suggested but it’s still there. I have had an electrician, water board, plumber and western power to see if they can locate it. They can hear it but cannot locate where it’s coming from. The council are not interested. I bought a decibel monitor. It records up to 39 decibels. I understand 24 is the suitable level. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Rosieday
making a recording (pref calibrated mic) at different positions and analyze the spectrum and share the recording here could be a next step.
Any idea of at what freq it is?

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
you have sporadic energy readings , portside aft

spectrum lab free designed for radio astronomy

step by guide setting it up and its very usual , can go down to a very ultra low noise floor mostly unheard of mostly

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
you have sporadic energy readings , portside aft

spectrum lab free designed for radio astronomy

step by guide setting it up and its very usual , can go down to a very ultra low noise floor mostly unheard of mostly
I dont like asr members who dont like members who dont like cats

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Summer is not a good time for music listening here either, it's just too hot and uncomfortable. The A/C can cool the house, but that spoils the quiet bits.
In my NYC apartment I use window AC units. The old one in my living room absolutely killed listening. I just bought an LG with a dual-variable compressor. Much better. Split minis would help more, but they aren’t allowed. Amazing the advances in efficiency and noise from year to year.

Holmz

Major Contributor
making a recording (pref calibrated mic) at different positions and analyze the spectrum and share the recording here could be a next step.
Any idea of at what freq it is?

One probably needs multiple mics and look at phase.
But realistically if the sound is propagating through the ground or the structure, then the speed of sound is much higher in solids.

I would assume water or sewerage pumps or some other thing like a nieghbor’s freezer… etc.

Top Bottom