• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 81 28.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 63.2%

• Total voters

dsd4life

These guys are such a ripoff! The CEO has such a big ego and is totally obnoxious!
Huh??? Ripoff. The AVC10 claim to fame was the German engineers teardown of a 8 chip DAC stereo board for each 16 channels. Dan is claiming he is devoting 1 Stereo DAC lane and DAC and output for up to 130 DB signal to noise.

dsd4life

Summary: Amir designates the AV10 as the closest performer is parity performance with the best 2 channel SINAD ranked equipment over the last 5 years., Better than the Anthem AVM90. Although not sure why so many claim the AVM90 can mimic the quality of a great 2 x channel integrated amplifiers (Marantz Model 30, Cambridge Audio, Topping whatever) and NOT the AV10.

I thought pound per pound Amir and Gene thought AV10 product build and quality of components is the leader in 16 x channel surround sound processor for audiophile quality build compared to the Trinov, AVM90, etc.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Summary: Amir designates the AV10 as the closest performer is parity performance with the best 2 channel SINAD ranked equipment over the last 5 years., Better than the Anthem AVM90. Although not sure why so many claim the AVM90 can mimic the quality of a great 2 x channel integrated amplifiers (Marantz Model 30, Cambridge Audio, Topping whatever) and NOT the AV10.

I thought pound per pound Amir and Gene thought AV10 product build and quality of components is the leader in 16 x channel surround sound processor for audiophile quality build compared to the Trinov, AVM90, etc.
Most of those made such a claim are Anthem AVM owners so no surprise! The measurements overall are practically the same between the two anyway. The AV10 is just more feature rich.

dsd4life

Most of those made such a claim are Anthem AVM owners so no surprise! The measurements overall are practically the same between the two anyway. The AV10 is just more feature rich.
But until they license Sony 360 Spatial or some better DSP for steering the AV10 will keep coming up short?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But until they license Sony 360 Spatial or some better DSP for steering the AV10 will keep coming up short?
At the current price level, I wouldn't consider the AV10 coming up short, but just being upgradable, for those willing to pay for licenses. The AVM is only upgradable in terms of the still coming DTS:X Pro and Roon.

dsd4life

At the current price level, I wouldn't consider the AV10 coming up short, but just being upgradable, for those willing to pay for licenses. The AVM is only upgradable in terms of the still coming DTS:X Pro and Roon.
Bad choice of words. Remapping discrete object tracks and sampling bed layer steering from Atmos and DTS:X and 7.1 PCM media should heighten the listening experience. All done at 24 bit. I think there could be a over emphasis on room. The active steering by Sony and Trinov is going to over compensate any room issue.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Isn't that just Sony's implementation of Atmos and DTS.X with fewer speakers?

Last edited:

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't that just Sony's implementation of Atmos and DTS.X with fewer speakers?
No! The minimal setup uses more speakers and format containers are different.
What I know so far is that Sony want's to force more object based audio mixes, in ATMOS you still very often have steady mixes for the channels and probably a few objects. It looks for me as a betweenstep to a real ambisonics format.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Sony have a long history of going their own way, and I wondered if this was just another dead end. I'm certainly sceptical about any need for other manufacturers to adopt 360 Spatial, as DSD4L suggests.

Last edited:

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sony have a long history of going their own way, and I wondered if this was just another dead end. I'm certainly sceptical about any need for other manufacturers to adopt 360 Spatial, as DSD4L suggests.
Sony's system has already lost for home cinema in my opinion BUT - it has benefits for listening to music with headphones and virtual reality 3D sound. So I don't see it's main use with a speaker setup.
On the other side a real ambisonics format would be even better for that. With VR audio also needs to be rethought. But they where already discussing that when I left university ... and probably still will in 10 years ... ;)

yodog

welp this review has sold me. Going to buy an av10 now and put off the Auralic g3 until further notice….

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Thanks. I was hoping they were going to come down off the fence.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I thought Gene went for the Marantz and Theo went for the Anthem?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought Gene went for the Marantz and Theo went for the Anthem?
That's my understanding. Gene probably preferred Audyssey too, with the $200 app adder. Theo is all the way ARCG. That's the kind of subjective reviews I don't mind, the included measurements are bonus.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I can see myself having to make this decision in a year or so, and I don't relish that thought.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see myself having to make this decision in a year or so, and I don't relish that thought.
I hear you, fortunately I don't have to face that because my 70 is doing everthing I need, and the 90 did not "sound" better to me at all, so I guess ignorant is bliss.

Top Bottom