• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Martin Logan B10 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 107 54.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests, equalization and detailed measurements of the Martin Logan B10 bookshelf speaker. It was kindly sent to me by a member and also loaned one by the company. It costs US $600 each.
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker stand mount review.jpg

The B10 has a gorgeous glossy piano black finish. That is complimented by the best treatment of an AMT tweeter I have seen, giving the front a nice black finish. The impression is quite positive giving the feeling of a luxury in a small package. Back panel sports custom binding posts which I wish were color coded:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker stand mount back panel port review.jpg

The measurements you are about to see are performed on Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). It produces anechoic measurements at far field per CEA/CTA-2034 standard. If you are new to my tests, please watch this video on how to understand speaker measurements.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter although I also computed the results for the rim of the woofer but made no difference.

Martin Logan B10 Speaker Measurements
As usual we start with our anechoic speaker measurements:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Anechoic CEA-2034 spinorama frequency response Measurement.png

At macro level, the response is pretty much flat. We have one peak at around 900 Hz which you will repeatedly see in measurements and slight rising high frequencies from 3 kHz on. Despite sporting a waveguide, there is still some directivity mismatch as the woofer beam gets too narrow before the tweeter takes over and widens it. This directivity error has a fair impact on the tonality of the early/important/loudest reflections from the room:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Anechoic early window reflections frequency response Measur...png

Let's dissect this into horizontal and vertical reflections:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker horizontal and vertical reflections Measurement.png

While non-coaxial 2-ways have some dip vertically, here that is exaggerated and then combined with a less severe one horizontally. The two put together create a broad deviation from netural:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Anechoic Predicted in-room frequency response Measurement.png

Or is the problem that the treble response is too rich? Your answer will determine which way you draw the regression line: A or B. Audible symptoms will be different to be sure. We will come back to this in listening test section of the review.

Back to our 900 Hz resonance, we clearly see that when we make close in measurements of the port in the back:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker near-field frequency response Measurement.png

There is also another at double its frequency but its level is lower so not much impact. Fortunately the port is in the back so it is not as audible especially if you pull the speaker out from the wall (or use an absorber there).

For such a small speaker, distortion is very well managed:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker relative THD distortion Measurement.png

Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker THD distortion Measurement.png

Notice the trough in distortion indicated by the arrow as the tweeter takes over, relieving the woofer. That makes me think if the crossover point for the tweeter could have been lower which would have also helped potentially with the directivity error. Still, I take the ultra low distortion in that region where our hearing is most sensitive.

Impedance dips to 3.6 ohm which is low but that is typical of modern speakers:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Impedance and phase Measurement.png

Horizontal beamwidth is 60 degrees in either direction which again is typical:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker horizontal beamwidth Measurement.png

Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker horizontal directivity Measurement.png

Vertically we have the really deep dip as you get off angle so better listen at tweeter height lest you want to make the directivity error even worse:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Vertical directivity Measurement.png

Waterfall shows what we already know as far as resonances:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker CSD Waterfall Measurement.png

And as usual, step response tells us little:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker step response Measurement.png

Martin Logan B10 Listening Tests and Equalization
Previous review by Erin talked about speaker exaggerating lisping. That didn't match my listening tests. Yes, if a track had lisping, it became more pronounced. But by itself, I didn't hear it doing much of that, if at all. Overall impression of the speaker was that it was doing something right as there was nice fidelity across a lot of my reference tracks. With a speaker that has poor tonality, that percentage drops precipitously. Not here. Yes, there was a bit of brightness but nothing to the point of standing out a lot. Still, I thought I pull that down to see what happens:
Martin Logan B10 bookshelf Speaker Equalilzation EQ Parametric.png

The shelving filtering did NOT at all have the expected result. It made the speaker sound dull resulting in my preferring the stock result better due to that. I played around with that filter for 15 to 20 minutes but no matter what I did, it just didn't improve fidelity. So I went after pulling down that resonance. The result there was quite subtle due to high Q (narrowness) of the filter. But it managed to take out a bit of harshness.

As is typical of many speakers, there is a hump around 100 Hz which is close to a room mode I have. That causes a track or two to sound boomy. So I dialed in my usual filter there. Counterintuitively, that improved bass response in that the sound was not only more tight, but also less harsh. My explanation for that is the we are reducing spray of harmonic distortion from the woofer which travels to high frequencies.

With the above two filters in place, the fidelity was improved slightly but still something was not optimal. I went back and forth with my Revel Salon 2 and M106 and M16 bookshelves I have on hand for this type of testing. Both Salon 2 and M16 had a tonality balance that I was not hearing in B10.

I then looked at the PIR response:
index.php

Even though we think directivity errors are not correctable, research into room EQ shows that it is worthwhile trying to correct them. That would call for line A to be correct, needing to fill in the region between 1 and 3 kHz. This resulted in yellow filter #4. I tested this by itself and it nicely increased instrument separation (much like I hear in headphones with the same problem) with better fidelity overall.

While I really like the effect of the yellow filter on lower treble, I thought speaker sounded a bit bright. Now putting in the shelving filter did the job bringing in the highs in balance.

I spent the next half hour tuning the last two filters and where I got them was optimal across large number of reference tracks.

Despite the plurality of filters, the overall effect is subtle but bested the stock tuning which now sounded a bit dull. Performance was very enjoyable across every reference track I throw at the B10.

On sub-bass performance, those frequencies were reproduced but with mild amount of distortion which I like. Techno tracks though lacked enough bass response so you should consider getting a sub to go with this speaker.

Conclusions
One likes to think that after testing some 300 speaker, it would be walk in the park to analyze the performance of a speaker like B10. That was not the case. Even though measurements clearly show a couple of design compromises, figuring out their significance and audible impact was quite non-trivial. I spent more time evaluating this speaker in listening section than many others. I think this has partially to do with directivity error which is harder to get the pulse of, and the goodness of very low distortion speaker in 2 to 5 kHz -- something that keeps reminding you that this speaker is doing something right.

So where we land is that we have a gorgeous looking speaker that has a good stock sound in my opinion but can be improved to be near reference quality with some EQ help.

I am going to recommend the Martin Logan B10 speaker.

Manufacturer Specifications:

Dimensions (H x W x D, with feet) 12-1/2” x 7” x 9-3/4” 31.8cm x 17.8cm x 24.8cm

Frequency Response: 56 Hz - 25 kHz ± 3 dB

Tweeter Dispersion (horizontal x vertical); 90° x 90°

Recommended Amplifier Power: 20 - 200 watts

Sensitivity: 92 dB

Impedance: 5 ohms

High Frequency Driver: 1” x 1.4” (2.6 x 3.6cm) Gen2 Obsidian Folded Motion Tweeter with 9.2 in2 (59.4 cm2) diaphragm

Crossover Frequency: 2,370 Hz (2-way)

Mid-Frequency Drivers: 5.5” (14cm) Woven Fiberglass cone with cast polymer basket. Non- resonant asymmetrical chamber format. Unibody cone construction.

Cabinet: Rear Ported

Binding Post Inputs: Custom 5-way binding posts

Weight:14.5lbs / 6.6kg

Finish: Gloss Black, Walnut, and Satin White

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Click here if you have some audio gear you want me to test.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Martin Logan B10.zip
    61.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

brandonhall

Forum Donor
Thanks to Amir and Erin for the reviews, and another thanks to a very nice gentleman at BestBuy who let me A/B these against a set of KEF R3s a few weeks ago.

In terms of tonality, we're talking about a night and day difference. By a significant margin, my ears preferred the R3s while the sales guy preferred the MartinLogans. I bold the ears part because I think that's what we have here. A speaker with a distinct sound signature that a lot of people adore. It's not just a box with the same old design and no character. I think that's awesome but others will say it scores poorly and has poor tonality for its intended use. Such is life. Also, the damn thing is absolutely beautiful.

Lastly, this review from Amir reads like his review of the Wilson Tunetot.

Maiky76

Here is my take on the EQ.

Please report your findings, positive or negative!

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 4.2
With Sub: 6.8

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Port!
  • Lots of resonances
  • Not too bad

Martin Logan B10 No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:

Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/20deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
Martin Logan B10 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

EQ design:

I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.

Score EQ LW: 5.1
with sub: 7.6

Score EQ Score: 5.6
with sub: 8.1

Code:
Martin Logan B10 APO EQ LW 96000Hz
July302023-124917

Preamp: -1.8 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 50.04,    0.00,    1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 128.04,    -1.93,    1.46
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 904.08,    -1.68,    4.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2451.50,    1.34,    0.64
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4462.93,    -1.94,    0.75
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 14872.65,    -2.45,    2.81

Martin Logan B10 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
July302023-124917

Preamp: -1.6 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 49.54,    0.00,    1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 122.93,    -2.15,    1.22
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 889.39,    -3.09,    4.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1402.10,    -1.20,    1.90
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1876.37,    1.50,    0.47
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5969.04,    -3.53,    0.76
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 15316.64,    -3.18,    2.48
Martin Logan B10 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
Martin Logan B10 LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
Martin Logan B10 Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Martin Logan B10 Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
Martin Logan B10 Regression.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Small improvements
Martin Logan B10 Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• Martin Logan B10 APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    343 bytes · Views: 51
  • Martin Logan B10 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    392 bytes · Views: 44
  • Martin Logan B10 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Martin Logan B10 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Martin Logan B10 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Martin Logan B10 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Martin Logan B10 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Martin Logan B10 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    472.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Martin Logan B10 Normalized Directivity data.png
    Martin Logan B10 Normalized Directivity data.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Martin Logan B10 Raw Directivity data.png
    Martin Logan B10 Raw Directivity data.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Martin Logan B10 Reflexion data.png
    Martin Logan B10 Reflexion data.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Martin Logan B10 LW data.png
    Martin Logan B10 LW data.png
    130 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

375HP2482

Flat response, low distortion, good looks. What's not to like?

Wide radiation pattern too. Will really "fill the room."

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tried to EQ this speaker: the directivity is changing a lot and that make it challenging.
This eq improves the score from 4.3 to 5.6 but degrades the on axis a bit, listening window and predicted in-room are significantly flatter so that may be a good compromise far field.

filters_eq.png

Code:
EQ for MartinLogan Motion B10 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 4.30 with EQ 5.58
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.23
Dated: 2023-07-30-08:28:20

Preamp: -2.7 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc    77 Hz Gain +2.63 dB Q 3.04
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   418 Hz Gain -0.75 dB Q 4.34
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   903 Hz Gain -3.36 dB Q 4.96
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  1141 Hz Gain +2.21 dB Q 0.64
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  3008 Hz Gain +1.28 dB Q 4.91
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  6276 Hz Gain -2.31 dB Q 1.00
Filter  7: ON PK Fc 14965 Hz Gain -2.39 dB Q 3.08

@Maiky76 When I have some time I will work on finding why we have small differences between computations.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Another small box where the port appears to spoil the upper mids. Maybe this doesn't show so much in other third party smoothed response plots, but I'm getting bored with this issue now as so many pretenders exhibit it! That tweeter has to 'sound' impressive, so spice it up a few dB so it's audible and if that means a slight dip below, well ML aren't alone in doing this in terms of domestic boxes..

Not terrible, but I'd have expected better from a high end maker with what I'd expect to be money sloshing around.

Maybe I'm being far too harsh on them and six hundred dollars each in the high end market is 'kids bedroom' stuff really....

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
A quick question regarding the A and B lines.

Given that the slope should usually be around 6db (do I have that right?) isn’t line A closer? It starts at 87.5db and goes down to 82db, so a 5.5db slope.

Line B goes from 87.5db to 77.5db, a 10db drop, which seems a bit steep.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Given that the slope should usually be around 6db (do I have that right?) isn’t line A closer?
Indeed. That is exactly what I thought before I tried to correct it with B, and after I listened to it. Slope is just too steep if you pull down the high frequency shelf.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe thos doesn't show so much in other third party smoothed response plots
This has been a problem with not only some reviewer measurements, but also designers'. Gated measurements is the culprit which lacks resolution in frequencies < 1 kHz.

Grotti

Forum Donor
A beautiful looking speaker and interesting after EQ but the pricing in Germany (849 Euro each) makes it significantly less attractive...

Anyway, thanks to Amir for the review and especially sharing his struggle to optimize the speakers subjective performance: very instructive!

fineMen

Major Contributor
Nice discussion of the tech gone into this speaker, the pros and cons layed out clearly! :)

As with nearly every speaker the use of an equalizer at least for bass in unpredictable environments is recommended. Alas, the Helmholtz tuning of the port is high @65Hz. Many pop songs once in a while, some regularly hit the 40Hz mark, though. With a tuning as given the lower notes will run into a mechanical short circuit so that the cone will undergo exessive excursion with detrimental effect on midrange clearity. Read: extreme distortion. Except that the motor or suspension of the driver prevents from that at a harsh stopping point. In the 70s SEAS had a "DD" system to cope with warped vinyl records, but one cannot be sure that such is deployed here.

In short, if the obejective is to play chamber pieces from the second last century, godspeed you. Otherwise I would not expect this little speaker do play contemporary music on reference level without a sub, regardless of an equalizer.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Nice discussion of the tech gone into this speaker, the pros and cons layed out clearly! :)

As with nearly every speaker the use of an equalizer at least for bass in unpredictable environments is recommended. Alas, the Helmholtz tuning of the port is high @65Hz. Many pop songs once in a while, some regularly hit the 40Hz mark, though. With a tuning as given the lower notes will run into a mechanical short circuit so that the cone will undergo exessive excursion with detrimental effect on midrange clearity. Read: extreme distortion. Except that the motor or suspension of the driver prevents from that at a harsh stopping point. In the 70s SEAS had a "DD" system to cope with warped vinyl records, but one cannot be sure that such is deployed here.

In short, if the obejective is to play chamber pieces from the second last century, godspeed you. Otherwise I would not expect this little speaker do play contemporary music on reference level without a sub, regardless of an equalizer.
True, but very few small bookshelves are able to play contemporary music to reference level (whatever reference level means...). The limitation lies in its small size and limited displacement of the midwoofer, which could not reproduce strong and deep bass at elevated levels even with a deeper tuning of the port.

I think most speakers of this size should only be used with added Subwoofer(s).

Toni Mas

Small AMT tweeters, with a response falling down from 4-5khz are not well suited for such a low 2khz xover point, and the small wave guide hardly helps to correct the resulting directivity issue.

uwotm8

Once I heard their ESL model, Clarity, roughly 20 years ago, I was very much impressed by. There was definitely a step ahead compared to typical "sound from two boxes" which is, more or less, typical for any $100-$10000 speakers (Clarity was priced around $3000). Still not true holographic sound like uber-expensive MBL omnipolars can do (radialstrahlers as they called) but kinda between these and "typical speakers".

That said, would be nice to see some elesctrostatic models tested.

Typical AMT 2-way, well, yeah, I guess ML make money on these, but thats just not exciting.

P.S. Curious how it compares against Adam T5/T7V which are active for rougly same price per pair

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aye, not bad, not bad, but not great either! Probably not the most optimised use of your cash, but you're not burning it!

fineMen

Major Contributor
True, but very few small bookshelves are able to play contemporary music to reference level ...
The term 'reference' was used in relation to 'quality', not to level. But regarding your further explications, it is possible to have decent output volume with small drivers in even smaller enclosures in two steps: get rid of the port, tailor the response electronically (1) and cope with unpreventable distortions by isloating them in using a dedicated midrange driver from as low as possible (2) in a true 3-way design. Paradoxically the smaller the speaker, the more desirable the midrange becomes**. This contradicts common wisdom and is not to be seen soon, while e/g Adam Audio and Dynaudio offer quite small 3-ways for studio use already.

I experienced room filling sond pressure levels, way beyond what I would like to have regularly, let alone my neighbors' undeniable interests, with pieces from Kraftwerk, Yello, Infected Mushrooms, The Residents, or more high-end-ish Marcin's "Kashmir" (truely ironic). It works, bass was tight and felt very clean and voluminous at the same time. You'll see something alike maybe in 5 years ;-)

Anyway, a tuning at 65Hz for a stand-alone speaker box is regarded a bit high on my side if not supported by e/g SEAS's "DD" system (http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/h097_and_h190_33f-wka_and_dd.pdf).

**given human hearing, one needs at least a certain level of sound pressure level; the smaller the bass driver the higher the excursion; the higher the excursion the higher the (intermodulation) distortion; isolation of mids becomes more pressing

Last edited:
Top Bottom