• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hmmm... I think the review I read was for the Bitfrost #2 , which he said the measurement was very good for the price range. I’m not sure if that’s the same as the AKM 4490? I’m presently in the market for a new dac, and have been reading up. I thought I had it narrowed down between the mojo and the bitfrost based on the reviews I been reading, but I may have to re think that. Currently have an Arcam Irdac, so lm looking for something better.
Both bifrost and MOJO aren't worth their weight in price.
Both are mediocre at best.
There is nothing astonishing for the price.
Topping D10 is better than both for $79, that's astonishing for the price.
If you want a competent balanced DAC then look at the Topping d70/dx7/D90, smsl SU-8, Geshelli enog, grace balanced, rme adi, etc
Don't waste your hard earned money on poor products (schiit) or pointlessly overpriced mediocre products (chord).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I had it narrowed down between the mojo and the bitfrost based on the reviews I been reading, but I may have to re think that.
You may. ;)

You need to be some kind of detoxed of subjective reviews.

Don't waste your hard earned money on poor products (schiit) or pointlessly overpriced mediocre products (chord).
I beg to differ. Chord products are overpriced for sure, but certainly not mediocre.
Same thing about Schiit. Both their Modi 3 or Magni Heresy perfom great for their price point ("stellar", in the case of the Heresy).

Dana reed

just spend all your money on audio stuff and get a d10, dx7s, modi3, gungnir, and mojo. I use the d10 to make another USB input for my dx7s in my office setup, the modi3 to feed my THX 789 in the living room, the gungnir with the magnepans, and the mojo to go. Somehow I'm still married...

Reactions: PLB

PLB

Thanks for all the input, looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me. Looking into the Topping products now....
Almost sounds like I should throw all my audio gear in the trash and start over. Lol

Dana reed

The review is online, the review was for Bitfrost#1 and 2.
Can you send a link? This is the only one I see:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-bifrost-da-processor
and this is for the older Bifrost 4490, which is now only available on closeout for $249:
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks
The current bifrost, which came out recently, only has a multibit option, and has XLR and RCA outs. I don't see a stereophile review for that one, but schiit does have measurements for it on the page, which are similar to their other multibit dacs like gungnir and yggdrasil:
https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

PLB

Can you send a link? This is the only one I see:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-bifrost-da-processor
and this is for the older Bifrost 4490, which is now only available on closeout for $249:
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks
The current bifrost, which came out recently, only has a multibit option, and has XLR and RCA outs. I don't see a stereophile review for that one, but schiit does have measurements for it on the page, which are similar to their other multibit dacs like gungnir and yggdrasil:
https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

PLB

I believe that’s the one, 2nd page it begins the review of Bitfrost #2. JA does the measurements for both.
A New DAC Day
Bifrost #2 finally showed up, looking exactly like #1. I put a sticky note with the number "2" on it. On closer inspection, I saw on the rear panel some new FCC compliance graphics and a higher serial number, but that was it. Popping the top confirmed that #2's USB and analog boards were different and newer.

Dana reed

I believe that’s the one, 2nd page it begins the review of Bitfrost #2. JA does the measurements for both.
A New DAC Day
Bifrost #2 finally showed up, looking exactly like #1. I put a sticky note with the number "2" on it. On closer inspection, I saw on the rear panel some new FCC compliance graphics and a higher serial number, but that was it. Popping the top confirmed that #2's USB and analog boards were different and newer.
Ah, got it. Those were both sigma delta Bifrosts, before they came out with a multibit version. One just had the upgraded analog section card in it, which was called "Uber" at the time. But all that was back in 2013 when that review came out. And that was $519 at the time. The unit reviewed there would match most closely with the closeout Bifrost 4490 right now for $249, the main difference is that the current closeout one would have a better USB than what they had back in 2013. What is called "Bifrost 2" right now is what came out in 2019 and is a totally different chassis, with XLR outputs and user-upgradeable USB and analog sections, and an SD card slot for firmware upgrades. But that's $699.
If I were you, I'd just keep the Arcam, rather than going with a closeout Bifrost. I like my Schiit, but there's nothing magic about it. I did like when I had a problem with one of my amps, it was easy to get them to fix it under warranty, and pretty quick service. I like my Mojo as well, and as far as portable units go, it has a decent amount of power.

smithynz

This new Bifrost 2 seems a little steep in price at $699, doesn't it? I've owned the original Bifrost for many years now, first as the original, then I upgraded it to the Uber, and then when the 4490 came out I upgraded it to that. But I think I only paid around $130 (used) for that original Bifrost.

The fact these DACs are upgradeable is something that needs to be seen as a value... I've certainly enjoyed that aspect of the version 1.

I'm considering the SU-8 V2 or Topping D50S as a replacement now, but I'm not sure I'll be able to hear any difference (I have the Asgard 2, but a THX 789 is on the way).

Dana reed

I would bet that they will put out a cheaper version with a AKM chip on the output card. Given that the current one has the multibit "m" stamped on the card, and not the front of case as it is with the modi multibit. Would be nice if they put out one like that with xlr out that meets or beats the modi3 in measurements.
1578509598046.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubt that’s gonna happen since Schiit likes to shill their True Multibit marketing. In any case, you're better off with advanced tech from Topping if performance and features are what you need.

mykeldg

I made a little experiment on foobar with a DSP that introduces harmonic distortion. When I enable it, the sound changes into something that multibit proponents often say :" more separation, better timbre, microdynamics, more air & sense of space". This quick experiment was done using a DS dac but I also have a multibit DAC to compare and to my dismay, adding harmonics on the DS dac seem to emulate the effect. So I guess people here are right all along.

PLB

Here’s John Curl with a very interesting discussion on harmonic distortion and measuring. Love this guy, I could listen to him all day.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a little experiment on foobar with a DSP that introduces harmonic distortion. When I enable it, the sound changes into something that multibit proponents often say :" more separation, better timbre, microdynamics, more air & sense of space". This quick experiment was done using a DS dac but I also have a multibit DAC to compare and to my dismay, adding harmonics on the DS dac seem to emulate the effect. So I guess people here are right all along.

You'll have folks running to Foobar to see if there is a DSP to unfunk their Multibits to sound like DS . Someone will probably make a $$$ plugin :facepalm:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You'll have folks running to Foobar to see if there is a DSP to unfunk their Multibits to sound like DS . Someone will probably make a $$$ plugin :facepalm:
Adding isn't the same as removing lol
I don't think there would be any way to make a filter that counters the harmonic distortion of the multibit.
The software would cost more to develop then just buying a DAC that is competently built.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding isn't the same as removing lol
I don't think there would be any way to make a filter that counters the harmonic distortion of the multibit.
The software would cost more to develop then just buying a DAC that is competently built.

I think I might have known that ;-) . Doesnt stop someone trying, or at least claiming to have done it

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen other pointless paid filter projects before...

Never underestimate the free market :)

Or the affect of l'huile de serpent on the purse strings of the audiophile

Top Bottom