• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

pogo

Major Contributor
Non userei mai il modulo Bluos, è qualcosa che non mi serve, non mi serve il wifi.
The DIRAC LIVE/BluOS module is more than just wifi, as described above. The C399 should also be superior to the others in terms of sound.
Which SW do you want to use?

Alexx

@pogo: Ho un subwoofer da 25 cm in B&W (con il 368 andava bene).

Come sei sicuro che il 399 sia superiore al Nad 388 Rotel 1572?

Il 399 che ho restituito era carente nella gamma media superiore.

Il 368 che avevo mi piaceva di più il suono, penso che il 388 sia migliore del 368 avendo più riserva di carica.

Non conosco il Rotel 1572 ho letto recensioni contrastanti.

Grazie.

pogo

Major Contributor
Then I assume that you are using the DB2D and it has a trigger input.
I had the C388 myself and I also know the better NCore amplifier technology and the installed DAC. And if the NAD designers have done nothing wrong, and that seems to be so according to the first reviews, then it is just top.

Alexx

Che dire sulla carta il 399 deve per forza essere migliore del 388...

Probabilmente mi è successo un 399 difettoso? Posso chiedere la sostituzione con lo stesso dispositivo.

Hai notato differenze nel suono tra il 388 e il 399?

Valuto per un momento cosa è meglio fare.
Grazie

pogo

Major Contributor
I haven't heard the C399 yet, but I could hear the M10 with the same amplifier/DAC technology compared to the C388. There are simply more details worked out.
What LSP do you want to drive on it?

Alexx

Non ho idea se l'm10 V2 sia paragonabile al 399.

M 10 costa 1000 euro in più e ha solo 100 Wat per canale.

Per quel poco che posso dire, ho preferito il suono del 368 a quello del 399.

Il 399 era più carente negli alti (sembravano venire da lontano)

Uscita subwoofer così bassa che il subwoofer non si accende (devo alzare il volume).

Per me questi sono due problemi che me lo hanno fatto restituire.

Il mio sistema: subwoofer attivo B&W 25Cm e altoparlanti Kef R300 sintonizzatore Rotel RT11 lettore CD Denon.
A presto.

unexperienced

There is already information from one user who bought the NAD C399 that in it the radiators for cooling the output switches stand vertically and have a golden color like in the M33 and C298 and are located in the same place as in these two amplifiers - near the terminals for the speakers, as well as it have a different power supply than in the C388. This man did not open it, but illuminated it with a flashlight through the ventilation holes. The main board also has changes.

unexperienced

I can't quite follow/agree with you here, as these capabilities are also present on the C399 with DL, automated as well as manually fine-tuned (DL TargetCurve based).
Fixed on C399, C658: 80Hz x-over frequency
Variable on M33, M10 (V2): 40-200Hz x-over frequency
The basic electronic design of these models is different. In all NAD amplifiers, excluding only 3 models (C390 M32 and M12), the signal for the pre-out outputs is taken from the main signal after the DAC, if there is an adjustable filter, it still decomposes the main signal. And the C390 M32 and M12 use a special DAC with four independent outputs. Two outputs are connected to the built-in amplifier in Class D (it is very similar to NCore in circuitry), and the other two outputs are directed directly to the sub/pre-out output. And directly in the M12, two outputs of the four-channel DAC are directed to the XLR outputs and the other two to RCA. If two stereo power amplifiers are connected to the M12, then we will get a full-fledged four-channel amplifier unit with separate bass and treble control. Accordingly, only one power amplifier is needed for the C390 and M32. I used with the M32 - M22, and with the M12 - M22 and also a homemade amplifier on UcD400 modules to amplify only the woofer section. By the nature of the sound, all these three settings are very similar. The best results were with the M12 and two power amplifiers.

Alexx

Grazie per le informazioni sulle uscite del subwoofer, probabilmente la mia non andava bene perché senza il modulo Bluos non potevo regolare l'xover o il volume (se possibile).

Per il resto ho preferito il suono del 368 soprattutto nella gamma medio-alta.

Per questo sto cercando un 388 ma non si trovano da nessuna parte.

Non posso dire se il mio 399 fosse difettoso o se i miei altoparlanti non fossero buoni e rivelatori per questo amplificatore, ma non mi è piaciuto e l'ho restituito.
Sto ancora cercando il 388 prima di acquistare un Rotel 1572 (penso che Rotel suoni più secco del Nad and I don't know if I can like it ).
Grazie.

unexperienced

I don't pretend to be the truth, but I'll tell you something else. Buying NAD amplifiers with a slot for installing the MDC BluOS module without the module itself is money in the wind!)))
Why I think so, again from my own experience. No external streamer connected via a coaxial digital input sounds better than their own development - the BluOS module installed into amplifier. Because the PCM signal go directly through system port. Specifically, in our case with the C399, we have a module with a two-way communication with an advanced DSP installed on board, and all incoming signals from any other inputs can be processed too. In fact, a modern advanced digital equalizer is installed on the new BluOS-D board. For uninitiated users, this is all reduced to automation, and for those who are advanced, they buy an extended version of Dirac and draw themselves any frequency response. Buying NAD C399 without BluOS-D module - it is a crime! :)

Last edited:

unexperienced

Which crossover frequency did you set?
In each case, different. For the C390, it was one. It's different for the M32 and its own for the M12. Specifically, I don't remember, within 100-140 Hz. But here it is necessary to clarify. I eventually made my DSP on an ADAU1467 chip which I integrated onto the BluOS board.

Alexx

Scusa.

Perché con il Nad 368 il subwoofer era perfettamente controllato (si accendeva anche se l'amplificatore era a basso volume, ecc.) e il volume del sub era a 1/3

Mentre con il Nad 399 devo impostare il volume dell'amplificatore al 25% (anche 60% se utilizzo l'ingresso digitale) e il volume del subwoofer al massimo???

È probabile che su Sub 1-2 e Pre Out il mio 399 sia difettoso o ha bisogno del modulo bluos per funzionare correttamente?

Fondamentalmente le uscite sub sono così basse come segnale che non riesco a far funzionare correttamente il subwoofer.

Aggiungo che una volta acceso il subwoofer, abbassando il volume dell'amplificatore al 15-20% il subwoofer si è spento perché non poteva più leggere il segnale in ingresso.
Grazie in anticipo

pogo

Major Contributor
@Alexx
DIRAC LIVE certainly brings advantages here, because you can also adjust the level. In general, I would always switch a subwoofer via the possible trigger line.

Alexx

Anche se accendo manualmente il subwoofer, il segnale proveniente dall'amplificatore è troppo basso per farlo suonare bene.

C'è la possibilità di aumentare il volume delle uscite subwoofer dell'amplificatore senza il modulo bluos?
Grazie.

Jone5

At least for me the subwoofer level is more than adequate as is and I don't know if the sub level is adjustable even with bluos/dirac (I've only used the iOS app which does not have it). With M10 I had the sub level adjusted to 55 if I remember correctly (on a scale of 0-100) and with the C399 appropriate level is 45/100. Also I never had any issue of sub not waking up based on signal level when the sensitivity from the sub was set to minimum, i.e. my sub has a sensitivity setting for waking up.

Alexx

@Jon5:
Grazie mille.

Con il tuo 399 da dove hai messo e impostato il livello 45/100? (c'è un menu?).

Il mio sub non ha alcuna regolazione della sensibilità per accendersi, è un bianco e nero da 25 cm, questo potrebbe essere un problema.

Secondo te è possibile utilizzare l'ingresso Hi Level? (Collego l'uscita ad alta potenza dell'amplificatore ad esso).
Grazie.

Jone5

@Jon5:
Grazie mille.

Con il tuo 399 da dove hai messo e impostato il livello 45/100? (c'è un menu?).

Il mio sub non ha alcuna regolazione della sensibilità per accendersi, è un bianco e nero da 25 cm, questo potrebbe essere un problema.

Secondo te è possibile utilizzare l'ingresso Hi Level? (Collego l'uscita ad alta potenza dell'amplificatore ad esso).
Grazie.
I was referring to my sub volume level being 45/100, no menu item for adjusting sub level out from the C399, but it seems loud enough for my sub atleast. Hi-level being speaker outputs? I have no recommendation regarding this.

pogo

Major Contributor
I was referring to my sub volume level being 45/100, no menu item for adjusting sub level out from the C399, but it seems loud enough for my sub atleast. Hi-level being speaker outputs? I have no recommendation regarding this.
During the DL level calibration procedure, the volume is set on the SW.
A Hi-Level connection can lead to damage the C399 and should not be made.
The Pre-Outs are more suitable, since they also provide a higher output voltage. Hereby no SW should be enabled on the C399 and the crossover frequency and level is set directly on the SW as required. If no DL is used, the phase must also be set on the SW.

But either you had a defective C399 or your SW is acting strange. I don't think this is normal!

Kahana

Has anyone addressed how it sounds compared to say M10 v2? Technically measures better, but it's also full-sized, so that may be a trade-off issue for some in addition to price and phono-input unless there is a clear discernible SQ/ noise floor difference.

Edit: Or just basic listening impressions! Inventories are still low to non-existant out there, how does it actually sound?

Last edited:
Top Bottom