• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH420 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 491 93.5%

• Total voters

tuga

Major Contributor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thanks tuga !
This was very interesting reading .
IMD distortion seems to be very audible according to this paper.

2F07E6C6-B435-4B72-BD96-FE69A8D1C1C3.png

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Why are you talking about doppler distortion as if I don't know it exists when I literally referenced it in my post. IMD and doppler distortion are two different things, btw. IMD occurs on *all* speakers, not just coaxials. Doppler distortion is unique to coaxials(or any other design where a driver's movement would modulate another driver's somehow).
This is not correct.

IMD, like HD, is a result of a true nonlinearity and this shows as additional tones in the spectra which are not present in the stimulus. It occurs in all speaker/driver types and is not strictly related to excursion, oftentimes it is more related to current. Lots of IMD really corrupt music playback.

Doppler "distortion" is a linear phenomenon (does not produce new tones, rather the original ones are slightly modulated in frequency/phase and sometimes even level) and is only a function of excursion, a lower tone modulating the source position or geometry for a higher tone (and itself, in extreme cases). It happens in all speakers/drivers, even theoretically ideal ones, once there enough excursion but it is a rather benign type of distortion, the sound being slightly "rougher" than without but not cluttered with IMD components hash.

Ideal test signal for IMD is a twin-tone, the first tone at the lower cutoff of the used range for the driver and the second at the higher cutoff. Other drivers switched off, if any possible.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oppler "distortion" is a linear phenomenon (does not produce new tones, rather the original ones are slightly modulated in frequency/phase and sometimes even level) and is only a function of excursion, a lower tone modulating the source position or geometry for a higher tone (and itself, in extreme cases). It happens in all speakers/drivers, even theoretically ideal ones, once there enough excursion but it is a rather benign type of distortion, the sound being slightly "rougher" than without but not cluttered with IMD components hash
Maybe I should have said only occurs to a significant degree in coaxial type designs. Regardless it doesn't really seem benign to me in the few cases I've seen it measured in 2-way designs like this one from Erin's Q100 review. It does seem basically irrelevant in 3-way designs.

Kef-Q100-Drive-Unit-Woofer-Displacement-on-Tweeter-Response-Example.png

KSTR

Major Contributor
To wit, if you have the phase information for distortion products, you can sum independent distortion measurements to get IMD.
Care to share a link etc for info on this? I've never heard or seen any claim like this.
How would you combine separate 60Hz and 7kHz HD measurements for a 60Hz+7kHz IMD? Genuinely interested...

KSTR

Major Contributor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Sanctus - in this picture you see differences in amplitude of about 10 dB at 7,5 KHz .
If you are playing bass and cymbals at the same time, even if the volume where lower and the difference between the cone placement where half - you still have a difference at 7,5 KHz at maybe 5 dB modulation which is very audible in real music. It will cause listening fatigue.
A1746BA0-4FDD-49AA-8A9B-5E56D53C4605.png

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you read this summary slide?

1651910652362.png

What I have highlighted in red is exactly what I post above. The context of Klippel presentation here is for a designer who is diagnosing specific problems and can choose those frequencies appropriately. That notion cannot be applied to a universal set of dual-tones used to compare speakers. What brings out IMD in one driver/speaker is NOT what brings it out in another. This is a showstopper.

Don't confuse what is a design tool with a benchmark metric across multiple products.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd call this geometry distortion.
Not to be confused with what Purifi calls it SD modulation: https://purifi-audio.com/2021/10/14/some-speaker-problems-that-needed-solving/
The main
It's very clearly called doppler distortion in the Genelec Ones white paper, so I dunno. Maybe different sources are referring to different things when they say doppler distortion.

When the woofer works down to bass frequencies (two-way systems) the woofer cone displacement becomes large and this can generate a Doppler shift in the audio radiated by the tweeter. As the woofer cone is making a harmonic movement, this Doppler shift varies harmonically.

However, current coaxial transducers suffer from problems such as sound-colouring diffraction due to discontinuities between the coaxially located drivers. Particularly two-way coaxial designs can have problems with Doppler distortion, having to operate each transducer over a wide frequency band.

tuga

Major Contributor
Did you read this summary slide?

View attachment 205089

What I have highlighted in red is exactly what I post above. The context of Klippel presentation here is for a designer who is diagnosing specific problems and can choose those frequencies appropriately. That notion cannot be applied to a universal set of dual-tones used to compare speakers. What brings out IMD in one driver/speaker is NOT what brings it out in another. This is a showstopper.

Don't confuse what is a design tool with a benchmark metric across multiple products.

My post was not a reply to yours. When I clicked Post Reply yours was already there.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD alone with in-room vs anechoic can be vastly different. I actually just wrote a small bit about this elsewhere with 3 examples.

For a DIY'r that's fine. It gives you an idea. And you know your measurement rig/room. For someone like me, I try to provide the most "true" results I possibly can. I try to avoid having to provide measurements that need caveats that the general public won't understand. Thus, my reticence for providing loudspeaker IMD. I've been toying with the idea again, though.
This is absolutely the correct way of going about things for both you and Amir given the intentions of provided measurements.

Even for those who's technically apt enough to understand such measurements and caveats there's a questionable amount of value such measurements can provide.
Unless there's a way to make such measurements in a reliable, reproducible and transferable way between speakers it might only provide noise.

Since you're thinking about it, how do you imagine it could work on a Klippel in a small room? Bandwidth-limited IMD?
Might be valuable for two-ways at least?

KSTR

Major Contributor
It's very clearly called doppler distortion in the Genelec Ones white paper, so I dunno. Maybe different sources are referring to different things when they say doppler distortion.
Yes, nomenclature may not be all that clear.
Doppler distortion is usually referred to as a form of phase modulation (amplitude stays unaffected) and I'm quite sure this is not the case when the geometry (the acoustic loading) is modified. Doppler distortion has been successfully eliminated by a dynamic phase pre-distortion in active 2-way speakers with motional feedback (which keeps regular IMD low enough that Doppler distortion becomes any relevant): https://www.silbersand.de/Doppler.html
Silbersand does it in the analog domain but it has been realized in the digital domain, too.

fineMen

Major Contributor
IMD distortion seems to be very audible according to this paper.

Alas, for me the personal threshold is lower than -53% with the Klippel self-test, sigh!

But it depends on the frequency range a lot. Interestingly the most vulnerable regions seems to be the lower mids. In the higer mids, say above 1,5kHz the shrill of the rubbing tones alone is so annoying, that additional IM doesn't make a difference for me. => Go 4-way!

This is only anecdotal. But feel encouraged to do it yourself with yourselves. It might help to understand the nature of IM also.

Doppler is IM, as it can be transformed mathematically. It is said that the special phase relation in Doppler makes it less bad. For headphones that seems to be true (!?). But with speakers in room the phase relation is destroyed by crossover and mostly by room reflections. No way out here. Doppler easily, independently from the driver's quality, will reach up to 1% with only 1..2..3 mm of cone excursion in a 2-way.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sanctus - in this picture you see differences in amplitude of about 10 dB at 7,5 KHz .
If you are playing bass and cymbals at the same time, even if the volume where lower and the difference between the cone placement where half - you still have a difference at 7,5 KHz at maybe 5 dB modulation which is very audible in real music. It will cause listening fatigue.
View attachment 205088
Interesting. thx.

Wouldn’t that effect also show up during the usual sweeps in the crossover region btw. mid/tweeter when both are active at the same time? Yet, I don’t remember significant distortion for the UniQs at crossover, might be wrong though. Or does the effect, to become significant, require a higher difference in the two frequencies so the mid shows significant cone movements?

Wouldn’t it also be great to ask KEF and or Genelec. Given the time they have been using these coaxials, I would guess they have looked into it, so they wouldn’t bank on a possible problematic technology down the road. Might be wrong here too. But asking wouldn’t hurt ? (Kefs head of development is on this forum isn’t he).

thx.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Interesting. thx.

Wouldn’t that effect also show up during the usual sweeps in the crossover region btw. mid/tweeter when both are active at the same time? Yet, I don’t remember significant distortion for the UniQs at crossover, might be wrong though. Or does the effect, to become significant, require a higher difference in the two frequencies so the mid shows significant cone movements?

Wouldn’t it also be great to ask KEF and or Genelec. Given the time they have been using these coaxials, I would guess they have looked into it, so they wouldn’t bank on a possible problematic technology down the road. Might be wrong here too. But asking wouldn’t hurt ? (Kefs head of development is on this forum isn’t he).

thx.
In Genelecs white papers of ”the one” they mention the theoretical dissadvantage with coaxials because of this, but they didnt write that there was any compromise in sound quality. The crossover point for ”the one ” is at 320 Hz for 8351 with a step active filter ( probably 24 dB/oct or more ) so maybe the problem goes away then .

Top Bottom