• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yup, my point, be it beer, music, wine or women/men, we all have our different tastes. Most modern atonal music is not my thing, either, but like all things, you have to at least give it a try. And some tastes are aquired.

Veering a bit off-topic, but I thought about music I had to acquire a taste for. My baby sister was into post-hardcore and (circa 2010) screamo revival for a time before I enjoyed it. It took a while, but now that genre includes some of my favourite music. I went back from there and now enjoy some metalcore/deathcore. But death metal is totally different, the Nordic stuff didn't make it for me.

But we tend to make greater distinctions when we are closer into something. The piano pieces here are an example. Being unsophisticated with that material, to me they all sound pretty much like someone playing a piano. Even throwing a piano down the stairs it will make piano noises, pretty much. But for others, the differences between periods, composers, styles and arrangements are dramatic.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Chips require salt and acid, not more fat. It's science.
ahh, but then there's... poutine.

Our little local restaurant (we have one, amazingly, in the tiny village where we live) sevrves a bitchen duck poutine.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
ahh, but then there's... poutine.

Our little local restaurant (we have one, amazingly, in the tiny village where we live) sevrves a bitchen duck poutine.

Now you are just throwing food down the stairs!

All that fat is just an excuse to drink more wine, yes?

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
People like mayonnaise, which is barbaric.
I think you haven't had the right Mayo.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you haven't had the right Mayo.

I'm willing to try. Although I'll confess to some trepidation. I like all the ingredients, but for some reason mayo in anything but trace quantities makes me gag.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
how do you feel about... salad dressing?
or Miracle Whip?
:cool:

1633050.jpg

61RBN+nUX+L._SL1020_.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Axo1989

Major Contributor
how do you feel about... salad dressing?
or Miracle Whip?
:cool:

1633050.jpg

61RBN+nUX+L._SL1020_.jpg

I'm not US-ian, but lived and went to high school there, so I've experienced the traditional post-war period salad offerings: the vegetation simply serves as a low-mass, maximum surface area substrate for 'dressing' delivery. Which appear to be flavoured industrial by-products.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also see it something like that.

BTW: One of my favorites in this genre is the composer Xenakis. For example with his percussion piece Rebonds b ...

I enjoyed Xenakis piece subjectively. I'm not sure I'm musically insightful enough to correctly evaluate it in the context of the present thread. To the extent that any pure percussion is 'automatically' close to atonal just as a matter of acoustics, it is atonal. Yet it felt more tonal than not in that there seemed to be a home key with a defined range and it didn't seem discordant, at least most of the time. It would be helpful to me if you could provide context as you see it....

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s contemporary classical music.
Not really. It's Messiaen, who has been dead since 1992 . Des Canyons is from 1971. It's 20th Century music.

I love his music. It's not necessarily 'atonal', although sometimes it is that (not that I care; I don't hold 'atonality' against a piece of music). He used birdsong, unusual scales, polytonality, odd rhythms, and exotic timbres. His themes are often religious or mystical or ecstatic. His music of often beautiful, sometimes terrifying but rarely boring.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes well, that's Messiaen innit?

Seriously, there is another thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/there-is-something-very-very-wrong-with-today’s-music.36342/
where I mentioned that so much modern 'classical' music sounds like somebody throwing a piano down the stairs. No melody, no tune, just plink plonk crash.

Why? who knows, maybe these modern composers think it's too infra-dig to compose something that people can hum along to! If it's incomprehensible, it must be deep.

Sophomorism at its finest! Both artists and listeners can fall for it! :rolleyes:

Jim

"If it sounds 'incomprehensible' it must be fraudulent. The problem can't be me."

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went and transcribed the interview and ran the result through Google Translate. It's not perfect, but hopefully it does make some sense:

Maybe there is something in it for you.

Happy to provide clarification if needed.
That was wonderful. Thank you.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one of my all-time favorite movements in music!! I like it best (on recording) in a 5.1 SACD from the Seattle Symphony Orchestra and the voices of "Roomful of Teeth!" At the live performance, the singers/speakers were distributed around the hall and, at home, I hear them all around me, some at a distance and some quite close. The whole thing is a delightful rip through many familiar themes (from Mahler and others) and it makes great sense to me.
SS-Berio-CD-cover-large-400x400.jpg

The Berio/NYP/Swingle on Columbia recording was the premier of the 4 movement version and the Boulez on Erato was also with the Swingle Singers but included a 5th movement that Berio had added in the interim. Of course, the original Columbia and the Erato were stereo but none have the visceral impact of the multichannel SSO. I say that as someone who enjoys many of the recordings of this piece. (A sleeper is the Eötvös/Gothenburg on DGG/Decca.)
I've enjoyed the Boulez/Swingles version for decades, I'll have to check out this surround version!

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I enjoyed Xenakis piece subjectively. I'm not sure I'm musically insightful enough to correctly evaluate it in the context of the present thread. To the extent that any pure percussion is 'automatically' close to atonal just as a matter of acoustics, it is atonal. Yet it felt more tonal than not in that there seemed to be a home key with a defined range and it didn't seem discordant, at least most of the time. It would be helpful to me if you could provide context as you see it....

I had interpreted the thread context in such a way that it was about understanding the so-called "Neue Musik". It's not always just atonal. The first post was about a piece of Messieaen, which I see as a typical representative. Incidentally, Xenakis was a student of Messiaen, with whom he took composition lessons. Incidentally, Xenakis was a professional architect, which is sometimes noticeable in his almost mathematically constructed tone sequences.

Top Bottom