• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

Timbo2

How many movies on average per year do you watch with subtitles?
...And with great care in their picture cinematography @ that.

I watch a ton of content with subtitles. I'm not a videophile so not being able to adjust the brightness isn't critical. OTH, being able to size and place the subtitles is quite useful.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course USED OPPO 203's are selling for $800+ on eBay and this review may push them over $1,000.

Maybe but the Panasonic HDR tone mapping is impressive especially when watching movies during the daytime. The UB9000 doesn’t match the Oppo205 in audio performance but probably is a better buy than the Oppo 203.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I use subtitles on almost every movie I watch.

Then for your own personal use this player has the best attribute; adjustment of subtitles luminosity. Right on!

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Can't give them a pass, having had 2 Panasonics that I enjoyed in the past even, if I see a player with Analog outs i'm going to assume it is "Audiophile" type of player so this is pretty disappointing esp. for that price. Another thing, the apps on these devices lose support over time so you can't even use PAndora/Spotify/Youtube at some point. :facepalm:

chelgrian

I own this player and for those who misunderstand it's purpose and benefits, let me explain:

There is another reason which is that this is the first player in the current range which has audio delay, for complicated reasons I need to do the delay in the player rather than the processor so it had to be this model.

The old 400 had audio delay but no Dolby vision, the 450 has Dolby vision but no audio delay.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
So in all the grand scheme of things, this Panasonic 820 player is more than just an Audio player, more than just a DAC, even if its audio performance overall is mediocre.
Because 99.99% of the people buying it is for its video processor, Optimizer, ...mainly.
And, because the Oppo 203 is not available anymore, or unless for more money and on eBay or a private sale (2nd hand), and without a warranty and without firmware updates support anymore...I believe. Or, the 9000 for twice the price.

Still, the audio review is informative and we know the scoop now, between the audio section of the 820 and the 9000.

ace_xp2

Is there another multi analogue out player, past or present that's measured well? Other then the oppos of course. At one time this was not an unheard of feature, I'm more curious if there were versions with decent DACs in the normal realm, or if they're all more or less this until the oppo level.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
UHD Player Audio Measurements
I played my 24-bit, 44.1 kHz 1 kHz tone used in my dashboard and this was the result:

View attachment 85246

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Panasonic DP-UB820 for analog audio output. Use your AVR's DAC over HDMI as it is likely to perform better.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

You are saying that "questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome". Curious to see your reply. It seems that you, in fact, tested in a 16-bit mode. Are you sure there was no mistake in your test setup, either HW or SW??

PeteL

Major Contributor
You are saying that "questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome". Curious to see your reply. It seems that you, in fact, tested in a 16-bit mode. Are you sure there was no mistake in your test setup, either HW or SW??
No, the SINAD and THD+N is lower than 96 dB But the SNR is Higher than 96 dB

Mr.XO

Hey Guys,
How does the Sony UBP-X800M2 compare to this? Is there are review of it here? Thanks!

KeenObserver

I have this unit, along with an Oppo 203. The review is interesting but has no bearing on how I use this unit.
The video hdmi output is connected directly to my LG Oled tv. The audio hdmi output is connected to my Marantz Pre-Pro.
I bought the unit for its ability to play video discs and utilize all the disc features. It also is reputed to have the best video upscaler, which to me appears to be the case. In all likelihood I will never use the analog outputs.
This unit is probably the best at those purposes for which I bought it.

gtoblerone

I'm looking for some help - I am going to purchase either the UB-820 or the UB9000 and run the player through my Denon3700H, to LGC9, with KEF750 towers, KEF 650C center, KEF150 bookshelf rears & KUBE12 sub.

If I go hdmi directly to receiver I understand the UB820 is the route to go.

Is there any better way to run audio with my 5.1.2 set-up for UB9000?

Or based on my 5.1.2 set-up with Denon 3700H is the UB820 the better option?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

cistercian

Forum Donor
It is part of the value proposition in this player to justify the much higher price than a bargain player. After all, if all you care about is digital transmission, might as well get a $150 player and be done with it. Dating back to SACD/DVD-A times, multichannel analog outputs in the player were supposed to be built to high standards given the pitch for the sources of that kind. As I noted this is one of the top 5 or so features highlighted by the company so it needs to deliver. Or don't put the analog out in there and advertise that it is great.

This was my disappointment with the TASCAM CD-200BT I bought. Horrible analog output...pitiful. So I bought the RME ADI FS-2
and used it as a transport. Epic results...my first true CD quality experience. But I paid for features on the tascam that were horrible in
use. Headphone out? Only good for hearing what track you are on. Such a value fail.

It would be comical Amir if you have a test CD as a source to test the model I bought. I am certain it would achieve new nadirs
of frequency response and distortion. It is the worst CD player I have ever used for analog out. Thank goodness it has coaxial and
optical digital out. I use the coax to my RME. Occasionally I plug my HD600 phones into the jack of the tascam and then into the RME.
It is like comparing a cheap portable radio to your Salon 2 speakers. There is nothing subtle about the difference.

In the tascam's defense it is a pro unit. And pros use it as a transport. And the headphone out is more a courtesy monitor I
suppose. But the audio is really craptacular, incredibly so.

KeenObserver

As a follow up.
I bought this as a video player. I knew I was not going to be using the RCA analog outs. Again, I have the video HDMI out connected to my LG OLED. I have the audio HDMI connected to my Marantz processor.
I have calibrated and fine tuned the setup.
The Dolby Vision UHD movies are outstanding. The up-conversion on DVD and standard Blu-Ray is outstanding.
As I said before, for the purposes for which I bought this, I believe this was the best option.
I have a music server and I have a high end Marantz universal player for SACD and DVD-A. I really don't play music on the Panasonic. It is for movies.

Bulldogger

What would it take to measure output from a test tone DVD, from the HDMI output? I don't really see any value in measuring a DVD player from a USB input.
I've mostly avoided HDMI for the last decade. I used a server with Lynx AES16e out and Jriver. Eventually, I conceded because of the streaming devices I use and the need to decode the DD to my multi-channel system.

After trying, the HDMI audio out of my ASUS Vega 64, Roku Ultra, Firestick 4k, I concluded that they all sounded the same bit streamed. I was comparing the Panasonic UB420, Roku, and Firestick on some scenes of "Sabrina" on Netflix. Some of the dark scenes don't show so well. There was a bit of reverb to one of the spirit voices in the scene. Totally by accident, I discovered the Panasonic player actually sounded better. I wasn't looking for that. It came as a surprise after my earlier conclusions. But there is was, the sound was clearer and I could hear the "reverb" more distinctly. Now I'm wondering what the jitter on the HDMI is actually like and if that is a factor? I know everyone jumps to jitter, jitter, jitter. I could be something else going on. Not sure, but I'm certain it's there. I haven't been able to figure it out so far. The little UB420 is noisy at start up, but an amazing value.

Growly

18 months later, that was an interesting read.

I use analog outputs. That’s why I chose the Panasonic. Unfortunately analog has an audio sync problem with my LG OLED TV. The Oppo 203 was worse and I so sold that for a lot of money.

Biggest problem with the 820, and the reason why analog audio is disabled, is because it’s one or the other, not both. Use analog audio out, and you have no hdmi audio out. At least on my player, it tells you this in the menus.

I don’t use receivers or sound bars, my personal choice. A 4K atmos surround processor, that isn’t obsolete the moment I buy it? The Marantz AV7706 will set me back over £2000. Considering the number of 4K discs I have that would benefit from that processor, and the number of times I watch them, I can’t currently justify that expense, especially as I find 4K to be underwhelming most of the time. I am quite happy with an upscaled blu ray on my Oppo 103, as I don’t sit on top of my TV.

Martini

Forum Donor
I have the 820 and use the optical TOSLINK out to my Benchmark DAC3b. I was wondering if I should use the analog outs to the LA4 for two reasons. 1) Because the only thing I have plugged into the LA4 is the DAC3b, which make me feel its' utility is being wasted. 2) Because it will only output video sound at 24/48 via TOSLINK, which is probably good enough. Video output is quite nice, though I do get some side-screen noise when playing Dolby Vision discs.

Top Bottom