• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help with setting up digital Cross over using PC

ppataki

Major Contributor
Hi Chrispy,
Yes that is the plan.
for now I understand there are what I need?:
1) A no fan PC. Can I use laptop for this?
2) Computer audio interface?
3) Multi channel da/ad converter
4) analog preamps. I have some already
5) power amps. I have several

But I need to start with the basic knowledge inter of measurement of sound respond in room, calibration with EQ etc...

Thanks
You only need a PC (or laptop), a multichannel DAC and the power amps - that's all

The Okto DAC8 Pro or the Topping DM7 are the best options (I used to have both of them)

Alternatively you can use stereo full digital amps (like the Sabaj A30A) with a multichannel digital-digital converter (like the RME Digiface USB)
That is what I am doing now and I totally love it, will never go back to the conventional DAC/amp thing

Trell

Major Contributor
You only need a PC (or laptop), a multichannel DAC and the power amps - that's all

The Okto DAC8 Pro or the Topping DM7 are the best options (I used to have both of them)

Alternatively you can use stereo full digital amps (like the Sabaj A30A) with a multichannel digital-digital converter (like the RME Digiface USB)
That is what I am doing now and I totally love it, will never go back to the conventional DAC/amp thing

The RME Digiface USB is a nice device, and TotalmMix is great (I've the Fireface UCX II).

OP
A

anhdist7

Vince2

An approach that I have not seen mentioned much, is to have no cross over filters at all. Just shape each driver independently with peq's or other filters using rew and incorporate the natural fall off of a driver with the intended curve. Set the gain for each channel so that there is a smooth transition between the drivers.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I just got Electro-voice DC One, will this help?
If you use the Electro-Voice, the multichannel part will be managed in the device itself and not in your computer
I am not familiar with its capabilities, you will need to check the manual
Look for: crossovers, parametric EQ, delay, gain - these are the features you would need

If you decide to manage the multichannel part with your computer then you need a multichannel DAC, like the ones I mentioned above (and also some pro-audio stuff would work like the Motu M4 or the Motu UltraLite mk5)

OP
A

anhdist7

If you use the Electro-Voice, the multichannel part will be managed in the device itself and not in your computer
I am not familiar with its capabilities, you will need to check the manual
Look for: crossovers, parametric EQ, delay, gain - these are the features you would need

If you decide to manage the multichannel part with your computer then you need a multichannel DAC, like the ones I mentioned above (and also some pro-audio stuff would work like the Motu M4 or the Motu UltraLite mk5)
Thanks Ppataki.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I fully agree, and I encourage you, OP @anhdist7, to go into that direction.
As a typical example, let me suggest you again looking at my latest system setup here.
Please let me copy-paste the essential two diagrams as follows.
WS003815 (1).JPG

WS003811 (1).JPG

OP
A

anhdist7

Hi Dualazmak,
Thanks very much. Yes, I will go with this way. Your capter screen help alot.

Anh

Top Bottom